Songs with the same intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Michael ripped off/adapted/quoted the melody of the chorus of Wham!'s 1984 'Freedom' for the intro of his own solo 'Faith'.

Robbie might have gone meta with his cover of 'Freedom 90', but I've thankfully not heard that for twenty years...

Comment

Ah, I think stealing from yourself is allowed under The Rules.

Comment

Oh yeah, you can rip yourself off, no problem. No ferryman to pay there.

However, didn't George M rip the intro for Faith off of The Cure's Close to Me?

Comment

Paradise City by Guns and Roses / Fine Time by Cast.

Comment

Bowie's Jump They Say and Disturbed's cover of Land Of Confusion.

Comment

Whilst we're doing Bowie, Let's Dance and The Rubettes' Sugar Baby Love.

Comment

Corduroy by Pearl Jam (from 3:16 on) vs The Chain by Fleetwood Mac (from 3:03)

Not strictly intro but very similar

Comment

In 'n' Out Of Grace - Mudhoney
                  Loaded-Primal Scream

I'm sure Bell and Sebastian had a single out a couple of years ago that started exactly like Death on Two Legs by Queen.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: However, didn't George M rip the intro for Faith off of The Cure's Close to Me?
                    Just had a listen and I'd never noticed that.

Still, it's clear the Cure took it in the wrong direction, as George was selling Faith LPs by the truckload. And they'd probably nicked it off Bo Diddley in any case.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                      Originally posted by Jah Womble
                      However, didn't George M rip the intro for Faith off of The Cure's Close to Me?
                      Just had a listen and I'd never noticed that.

Still, it's clear the Cure took it in the wrong direction, as George was selling Faith LPs by the truckload. And they'd probably nicked it off Bo Diddley in any case.
                      Well, that's as maybe - but bear in mind that George M also pinched the title from an old Cure album.

Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

One Hundred Years - The Cure

Marlon J.D. - Manic Street Preachers

Comment

Crazy - Seal
                          Glorious - Andreas Johnson

Comment

I heard The Lebanon by Human League t'other day (for the first time in yonks) and felt that that perhaps owed the merest something to PiL's Public Image...

Comment

The noodling at the beginning of "Shining Star" by Earth Wind & Fire seems to be a nod to "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9a29UR2dU&index=10&list=RDEMl64kWU-roUENsTUSX-sP8A

And 'In The Stone', maybe to Saturn from Songs In The Key of Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2xClustQo&list=RDEMl64kWU-roUENsTUSX-sP8A&index=11

Fantastic tracks nonetheless

Comment

Bear in mind that Shining Star was issued nearly two years before I Wish...

Comment

Guns 'N Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
                                  Jane's Addiction - Just Because

Comment

Money For Nothing by Dire Straits lifts the entire riff of Lock Up Yer Daughters by Slade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlEv2oVTWs

The Slade track is the first one discussed on the latest Chart Music podcast:

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com...one-pound-bag/

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Oh yeah, you can rip yourself off, no problem. No ferryman to pay there.
                                      99.9% of the time, yes. However, I remember John Fogerty was sued for plagiarising himself.

Comment

That's brilliant. Thank heavens he won in the end.

Fogerty v. Fantasy – which would be an awesome title for a Fogerty concept record about battling elves, by the way
                                        Given that his nefarious opponent in the alleged self-plagiarism case was Saul Zaentz, this sounds like after repelling the lawsuit Fogerty launched a punitive raid on Zaentz's other interests in retribution, given that the latter also owned the film rights to The Lord of the Rings...

Comment

Originally posted by No History ? My Arse View Post
                                          Martha and the Vandellas - I'm Ready for Love / The Jam - A Town Called Malice.

Perhaps the next thread should be to name an intro that Paul Weller wrote for himself ?
                                          He's still at it. One of the intros on his latest thing (Nova) is a ripoff of the Bunnymen's 'Clay'.

Comment

The Liquidator - Harry J & The All-Stars had its intro lifted for I'll Take You There by Staple Singers, which was sampled on Let's Talk About Sex by Salt N Pepa.

Comment

Seem to recall reading that all but one of the Ink Spots songs start in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                The Liquidator - Harry J & The All-Stars had its intro lifted for I'll Take You There by Staple Singers, which was sampled on Let's Talk About Sex by Salt N Pepa.
                                                Although didn't Harry J take the tune from What Am I to Do? by Tony Scott?

Comment

Yes he did, actually buying it, but Alton Ellis claims Scott or Harry J also nicked the tune from Girl I've Got A Date, which is backed by the Skatalites but also has a lovely harmony vocal that might have been imitated by the Hammond organ on Liquidator, which was played by Winston Wright, who backed Ellis on various sessions, as did Ansel Collins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMd8XVEaKO4

This community was so tightly connected that borrowing was rife.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-08-2019, 17:09.

Comment

'Return of Django' by The Upsetters was originally the backing track of a Fats Domino cover by Neville Grant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv52VHHQDco

The Fats Domino record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEFLIizyEm8

Comment

Working...
                                                    X