Word magazine apologies to Morrissey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the BBC (sorry, haven't got the hang of doing the URL link thing yet).

Singer Morrissey has accepted a public apology in court from Word Magazine after it suggested he was a racist and a hypocrite.
    The former Smiths frontman did not appear at London's High Court.
    Morrissey took Word to court after an article concerning his political views appeared in its March edition.
    The star's solicitor said the magazine now accepted that it was "absurd to accuse Mr Morrissey of being a racist" and that he was "not a hypocrite".
    Morrissey said he was "obviously delighted with this victory and the clearing of my name in public where it is loud and clear for all to hear".
    Word's lawyer, Caroline Kean, said the publication offered its "sincere apologies" to the 48-year-old.
    The closing paragraphs of the article, written by David Quantick, referred to statements made by Morrissey in last December's edition of NME.

The NME have calculatedly tried to damage my integrity and to label me as a racist in order to boost their diminishing circulation
    Morrissey
    Morrissey's solicitor, John Reid, said Quantick's comments had been "construed to suggest that Mr Morrissey was a racist, held racist opinions or that (as the child of migrant parents) he was a hypocrite".
    He added: "The article suggested that Mr Morrissey has in the past paid lip service only to anti-racism."
    The singer, whose full name is Steven Patrick Morrissey, has also launched a legal action against the NME, which is ongoing.
    The singer insisted the weekly music magazine had "calculatedly tried to damage my integrity and to label me as a racist in order to boost their diminishing circulation".
    The star said Word had "made the mistake of repeating those allegations, which they now accept are false".
    Reid said the singer was "utterly determined" to repair the damage done to his reputation following the statements made by the NME in December.

I've tried so hard to love Morrissey down the years but by god he's a prick! I suppose that's part of the deal.

Oh and I'm not defending the magazine at all in this sentiment.

Comment

I like 'The Word' magazine. I read that article without coming to the conclusion they thought he was a racist. Merely dicussed what the NME had said. Morissey spent far too long a time in the States for his own good really....

Comment

Anyone got the actual Quantick quote the apology was for? I still don't see what case Morrissey actually has against the NME, they seem to have caveated everything clearly. I assumed it was an empty threat to sue.

Comment

I'm sat with Jude Rodgers of Word Magazine at the moment and even she admits that Quantick overstepped the mark.

It doesn't matter what your view of Morrissey is you can't suggest he's a racist in print. It's unsubstantiated and libellous. DQ just crimps it out these days and he's cost his bosses a lot of money for turning the sausage grinder handle too quickly.

Comment

Was that the review of Mozzer's latest greatest hits collection? I thought the review was excellent; highly enjoyable in the way hatchet jobs tend to be. And I don't think that it was libellous. Quantick didn't say Morrissey was a racist. As I recall, he raised some of the same questions that have been raised here. Y'know, talking about immigration while living in Rome, Bengalis in platforms etc. Surely it is fair to question Morrissey's attitude to immigration, especially given his background and current residence.

Morrissey is a preening prick whose reported and alleged fuckheadedness is fully reflected in the deplorable music and laboured lyrics he has sought to inflict upon us for the past two decades.

Morrissey died in 1989. RIP, Stephen Patrick Morrissey. May the poor impostor who stole your name and voice amble towards retirement with indecent haste.

Comment

Not that we'd want to overreact.

Comment

Heh. The last paragraph was supposed to be the sort of stuff Morrissey himself might say.

Comment

Gunther: The review was dreadful. I'd love to know which of his tired and flabby Victor Lewis Smith-esque puns that tickled your fancy so. Anyway - it's all besides the point. It clearly implied he was racist and a hypocrite. Speaking as a writer - it stood out like a sore thumb.

None of this means I'm standing in Mozzer's corner but Quantick, as a trained journalist, should have known better - especially as Morrissey's already in the process of suing someone else for the same reason.

Comment

I will need to re-read it then. But I really cannot remember any phrase in the article which would be legally libellous. But, to be honest, I did not read it with my attention on such details. Still, if there was, surely I would have noticed.

Comment

Working...
                    X