Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
    Disnee Girl, musicianship is like stonework on a medieval cathedral. Self-delighting, born of love; it therefore bestows a dignity upon the labourer entirely lacking in modern pop. Just as the Gothic mason might devote his life's work to a single building, so the musician might devote his life to a single album. Indeed, a single track, hesitating over every phrase like Flaubert.
    Oh my god. You're sick. You should be locked up.

Comment

Sky

I think Tubby was joking.

He is a Momus fan, after all.

;-)

Comment

Sky

I'd love to give Sky 2 a listen to see if it awakens the same atavistic sensations as Out Of The Blue and Red Rose Speedway. And then to come back here and attempt to defend it against you, you...why, I'm a confused and stammering 14-year-old wank addict again with my fists bunched up and just furious that you're taking the piss out of my third favourite band. Just fook off, right? Fook off! Sky roolz!

Comment

Sky

evilC wrote:
          I think Tubby was joking.

He is a Momus fan, after all.

;-)
          Hah, fair play. I did hover between applauding his self-parody and telling him he was sick and should be locked up.

Comment

Sky

Hold on, I always thought Dire Straits were Cunt Music in Dad Music clothing.

Comment

Sky

Yeah yeah, come back when one of your haircut bands manages play to play a solo half as good as on 'Sultans of Swing'.

Comment

Sky

Since I shared a flat with YATR, I've been increasingly unable to tell seriousness from my self-parody.

Still, I think pop music is due a Ruskinian blast. The Seven Lamps of Pop, that's got a nice ring to it.

Did I say musicians could spend a lifetime on a single track? I should have said a single chord.

Comment

Sky

Haircut bands? Ermm...nasty attack on the members of Dire Straits geezer?!! Hey, hairloss is not selective. We know!!!!! ;-)

Anyway, much more interesting syncopatic drum roll in that track then the guitar break. Tedious bastards rolled that one out several times over. Shame the first album was the only one that had anything of any interest....sleeve design and all...

Comment

Sky

I suppose you either like their sound or you don't, same as any other band. You were talking about originality earlier and obviously attach a lot of importance to that. Did you expect them to start talking over drumbeats or all playing cellos on their later albums?

They probably would have done but they'd heard enough of the latter from Sky.

Sky didn't have any records on sale in Sister Ray today. I think Justin Lee Collins needs to get them back together again to play one last gig.

Comment

Sky

I'm not a fan of Sky, so I wouldn't recommend them. But if anyone is bemused as to what they are like, here's a link to an album, handily coming in separately linked tracks, so one can test drive a track or two.

Sky - Mozart

Comment

Sky

Arggh.

Still, I like their style.

Comment

Sky

People who bought Sky albums were the type who spent £300 on stereo systems and £10 on records...

Comment

Sky

I love the profiling of people who bought certain records. No wonder psychology is in a mess in this country. Everyone who should be doing it is hanging about on message boards.

Comment

Sky

Indeed, according to this thread, Sky-buyers were rich Tory scum. Never mind that the ten quid album didn't exist in the band's 1980 heyday, unless you were buying George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. Back then I felt cheated if I ever paid more then £3.99.

I rarely pay more than 12-14 dollars (6 to 7 quid) for a CD now either, so in terms of inflation music has definitely got cheaper down the years. When CDs first came out and retailed at £10-12, I remember thinking I'd be sticking with vinyl for eternity.

Comment

Sky

Their fans may have been Tories but I have fairly good reason to suspect that John Williams isn't one as I once saw him perform at a gig in support of the Cuba Solidarity Campaign.

Comment

Sky

Yes, and he played (just about inaudibly) alongside Pete Townshend at one of the Amesty International Secret Policeman's Ball benefits.

He seems a pretty good egg as a person. Pity about the crossover stuff - not only Sky, but there's also that horrible Cavatina on his CV.

Comment

Sky

Oh shit, I like that horrible Cavatina.

Comment

Working...
                                    X