"You've Only Got One Song"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    I'm broadly in agreement with you, VA - Innuendo was one of the first albums I ever owned and I've always had a strange soft spot for some of their more indulgent moments (although other than Under Pressure, Hot Space can go live in a bin and The Miracle is just plain shit... good thing you didn't bring up Greatest Hits III either as a "squeezing the udders until dry" moment).
    You. Are. Having. A. Laugh. Surely. There is no such thing, I can't believe it.

Comment

It's got Driven By You on it. Enough said.

Comment

It's very much an odds-'n'-sods cash-in compilation, put out just before the millennium, that includes a clutch of the band's post-Freddie singles, a handful of Freddie and Brian solo moments, a couple of collaborations and ill-advised remixes, one or two songs that genuinely could've made it to the first two Greatest Hits (Las Palabras de Amor, a pretty good Top 20 single from the otherwise poorly-received Hot Space, is the obvious one here) and one genuine rarity at least. It's fair to say that the world could've gone on quite happily spinning on its axis had it never been released.

It's perhaps had a longer shelf-life as part of the three-disc Platinum Collection of all three greatest-hits albums, where it can arguably be slightly more favourably regarded if one just treats it as a sort of 'bonus disc' collating a bunch of semi-random tracks that didn't make it to – or didn't belong on – the original two, thus which can be added onto one's playlist or ignored as applicable. The three-disc variant of Elton John's Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (or -2003, if it's the tweaked rerelease including Are You Ready For Love) is an obvious comparison here.

Comment

There shouldn’t be anything post-Freddie which is sold as Queen.

Comment

Pulp came up along the side of Youtube for me just now. "Common People," of course. Did they have any other songs that anyone would know who is not a Pulp fan?

Comment

This is another one of those "Atlantic divide" things that skews this entire thread.

At the very least: Disco 2000, Babies, Mis-Shapes, Help The Aged etc. would all be pretty familiar to any Brit who had even the vaguest interest in 90s music.

Comment

I’d squeeze Sorted For Es And Whizz onto the list.

Comment

That caused an argument and a lost point at a trivia quiz back when Pulp were big. It was the music intro round, and the intro for SFEAW came on. I said “that’s Sorted For Es And Whizz”. Everyone else in the team says “no it’s Disco 2000!” I tried my best, but the majority ruled and we lost a point.

Actually, that story negates my claim that SFEAW is well known, doesn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    I’d squeeze Sorted For Es And Whizz onto the list.
                    And F. E. E. L. I. N. G. C. A. L. L. E. D. L. O. V. E

Comment

Mis-Shapes / Sorted for Es was only kept from UK number one by Simply Red, so I’d guess a few non-Pulpheads would know either of those songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        That caused an argument and a lost point at a trivia quiz back when Pulp were big. It was the music intro round, and the intro for SFEAW came on. I said “that’s Sorted For Es And Whizz”. Everyone else in the team says “no it’s Disco 2000!” I tried my best, but the majority ruled and we lost a point.

Actually, that story negates my claim that SFEAW is well known, doesn’t it?
                        How could anyone mistake the opening of E & Whizz for that of Disco 2000? And then refuse to back down on it.

Comment

Exactly what I was saying. Nobody listened.

Comment

Something Changed was on AR90s today. They play that quite regularly. So add that to the Pulp list.

Comment

Oh yes, good song.

Comment

Working...
                              X