Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You've Only Got One Song"

We must have done this before?

As mentioned on Bored's "Let's talk about me and my record collection" thread - artists with one absolute stone cold classic amid a back catalogue that is otherwise dross. My nominations there were :

Level 42 - The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up)
    Nickelback - Rockstar

But there must be others. I'm tempted to put Chas & Dave's 'Ain't No Pleasing You' in the list too as it is an absolute stormer but I'm not 100% sure that there's no merit in the rest of their work.

Nickleback and Level 42 are utter shit, I know they're only examples, but both are tepid bags of puke incapable of producing an 'absolute stone cold classic'.
    A colleague of mine goes into raptures of laughter anytime he's reminded of The Chinese Way and rounds it off with air slap bass-playing while shouting 'WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY KNOW' followed by more manic laughter. He's a music technology teacher. That shit gets to you after a while.

Anyway, West End Girls by you know whom.

Comment

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/29-music/769688-you-ve-only-got-one-song?limit=20&limitstart=0

Same title, slightly different idea - that one was bands where only one song is widely known.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Nickleback and Level 42 are utter shit, I know they're only examples, but both are tepid bags of puke incapable of producing an 'absolute stone cold classic'.
        A colleague of mine goes into raptures of laughter anytime he's reminded of The Chinese Way and rounds it off with air slap bass-playing while shouting 'WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY KNOW' followed by more manic laughter. He's a music technology teacher. That shit gets to you after a while.

How shall we eat, and what floor's the restaurant on?

Comment

Partridge has been responsible for the death of a few decent tunes.
          The Chinese Way totally deserved it though.

Comment

Yep, I'm sure that we've done this dozens of times - but that's no reason not to do it again. If only to help keep the board afloat.

Agree re the PSBs, and I liked Level 42's Livin' It Up - and one or two others (but not many) of theirs - but, 'stone cold classic'? Hmm. (Nickelback deserve to be shot with bullets the size of coffee tables, however.)

Other than Don't Fear the Reaper, I've never heard anything else by Blue Oyster Cult (add own pointless umlauts) that I could even barely tolerate, so that.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Anyway, West End Girls by you know whom.
              You really are a cloth-eared heathen...

Comment

Is this where I say The Greatest View by Silverchair again?

Comment

I'm probably alone in this, but I genuinely like the song 'Running in the Family'. Level 42 did a fair number of great pop singles, but I'd agree that 'The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up)' is probably the best of the lot.

Comment

There were really two versions of Level 42. It's the second one we generally dislike.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: There were really two versions of Level 42. It's the second one we generally dislike.
                      Yup. Their eponymous debut album is quality.

[/Gilles Peterson].

Comment

The Wurzels' double-A side "Combine Harvester / The Blackbird" is generally considered to be not only their stone-cold classic, but the stone-cold classic of the complete Scrumpy & Western genre

Personally, I think their back catalogue is also just one entire stone-cold classic, but I think I may be in a tiny minority on that one.

Comment

Surely they were never the same after Adge's crash.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                            Originally posted by Calvert
                            shoot that poison arrow though my heart

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Surely they were never the same after Adge's crash.
                              Completely different bands. One was Adge Cutler and The Wurzels, the other was The Wurzels. Musically, they couldn't have been farther removed from one another.

Comment

Calvert wrote:
                                Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                C - I thought you loved me, but it seems you didn't care.
                                GO - I cared enough to know that I could never love you...

Comment

I met a Bristolian Spurs supporter through a mutual friend at a Hitchin Town game last season who said the greatest moment of his life was booking The Wurzels for his wedding reception (for only £2000) .

He also told me that he stripped naked at the climax of their set.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: He also told me that he stripped naked at the climax of their set.
                                    You say that as if it were something unusual. I challenge any man, woman or child to attend a The Wurzels gig, listen to, say, Up The Clump or Don't Tell, Tell Ee and not want to disrobe on the spot.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                      C - I thought you loved me, but it seems you didn't care.
                                      GO - I cared enough to know that I could never love you...
                                      who broke my heart? YOU DID, YOU DID

At least I know you're with me on Level 42 and Nickleback
                                      I can lean to live with the unrequited love.
                                      Sob.

Comment

Culture Club- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me.
                                        Curiosity Killed The Cat- Down To Earth.
                                        Wet Wet Wet- Wishing I Was Lucky.
                                        China Crisis- African And White.
                                        The Joe Boxers- Just Got Lucky.

Comment

So, one good song from bands/singers that normally suck?

Selena Gomez
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0hWIO8DiU

Comment

Sundeporino wrote: Culture Club- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me.
                                            Curiosity Killed The Cat- Down To Earth.
                                            Wet Wet Wet- Wishing I Was Lucky.
                                            China Crisis- African And White.
                                            The Joe Boxers- Just Got Lucky.
                                            Woah there, what about 'Boxerbeat'?!

I think CKTC's 'Name and Number' might be pretty good too but I may be judging it based on a sample from it forming much of De La Soul's 'Ring, Ring, Ring'.

I'm going to have to reexamine 'Church of the Poisoned Mind' for Culture Club too.

Comment

Fucking Curiosity Killed The Cat. They tried for a hit for SOOOO long, and finally got one with "Down To Earth", and it blew bubbles. I MUCH preferred "Misfit".

China Crisis were a strange band. I really liked them, but I don't know why. And "Wishful Thinking" was my fave (hit) of theirs.

The Coral - "Dreaming of You"

And Culture Club's banger* would be "Karma Chameleon" rather than your choice Sund, even though, I personally prefer a few others.

*I of course use the term "banger" in it's completely wrong sense.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: There were really two versions of Level 42. It's the second one we generally dislike.
                                                Love Games & Starchild in my opinion were their only songs I liked.

Comment

Yep, I quite liked Starchild as well, and also Hot Water.

Gerontophile wrote: Fucking Curiosity Killed The Cat. They tried for a hit for SOOOO long, and finally got one with "Down To Earth", and it blew bubbles. I MUCH preferred "Misfit".

China Crisis were a strange band. I really liked them, but I don't know why. And "Wishful Thinking" was my fave (hit) of theirs.

The Coral - "Dreaming of You"

And Culture Club's banger* would be "Karma Chameleon" rather than your choice Sund, even though, I personally prefer a few others.

*I of course use the term "banger" in it's completely wrong sense.
                                                  Regardless of its platinum status and six-week reign at number one, Karma Chameleon was definitely the Club's shark-jump moment for me - that (and pretty much everything post-KC) was wishy-washy and chart-pandering. The previous five singles had all been decent.

The Coral's best tune was Don't Think You're the First. Recent single Million Eyes was okay, too.

As for China Crisis, it can only be African and White.

Come on, guys - let's sort these spellings out: JoBoxers (there's no 'the') and Nickelback.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X