No announcement yet.

"Excuse me while I..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first few times that I heard Prefab Sprout's 'Cruel', I was sure that Paddy McAloon was singing 'I'm a little bald guy, too cool for the macho ache". It is, of course, 'I'm a liberal guy....', which makes slightly more sense.

Comment

Okay, *without googling*, fill in the blank...

"Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it.
      Lemme tell you, them guys ain't dumb.
      Maybe get a ________ on your little finger.
      Maybe get a _________ on your thumb."

Comment

Blister, which will give me a Violent Femmes earworm for the day.

Comment

Whereas the thread title has given me a Blazing Saddles ear / eyeworm.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Okay, *without googling*, fill in the blank...

"Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it.
            Lemme tell you, them guys ain't dumb.
            Maybe get a ________ on your little finger.
            Maybe get a _________ on your thumb."
            Hang on, how can anybody mishear that?

Comment

Well...that's what we're trying to uncover here...

Comment

I knew the lyric but even then, it sounds more like "pistol" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Whereas the thread title has given me a Blazing Saddles ear / eyeworm.
                    Absolutely this, I thought I had to duck for cover.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Cloth ears.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                        Why would anybody have a pistol on their thumb? Christ Almighty.

Comment

Pfft. That's nothing compared to the mocking a certain spouse, who shall remain nameless, subjected me to when I questioned her recollection.

"Pistol? What the fuck would that even mean?"
                          "Mmm....I dunno...pistol on your finger..."
                          "Idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                            Why would anybody have a pistol on their thumb? Christ Almighty.
                            Perhaps said person is spinning the gun (or guns) around his thumb?

You know, like what they do in them Western pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Perhaps said person is spinning the gun (or guns) around his thumb?

You know, like what they do in them Western pictures.
                              WOM's paying you for this, isn't he?

Comment

I definitely thought it was that kind of cocky, reckless rock-and-roll thing the lyric was trying* for. Rich rock star with a little gun on his little finger...and maybe one on his thumb. As an image it sort of works. Blister is far more literal, and if I'm honest, isn't as interesting.

*it was going to be 'gunning for', but even I'm not that obvious**
                                ** I mean, I am, but for the sake of this discussion...etc.

Comment

I definitely thought it was that kind of cocky, reckless rock-and-roll thing the lyric was trying* for.
                                  It was Dire Straits.

Comment

The opprobrium for whom I don't think I'll ever really understand.

Comment

I've seen Mark Knopfler live a few times (one of my brothers is a massive fan). He can be a bit workmanlike but wouldn't scrape into the bad concert top ten.

Comment

Oh, I beg to differ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Oh, I beg to differ...
                                          Like you weren't down at the front hoping to catch a discarded headband.

Comment

I definitely thought it was that kind of cocky, reckless rock-and-roll thing the lyric was trying* for. Rich rock star with a little gun on his little finger...and maybe one on his thumb. As an image it sort of works. Blister is far more literal, and if I'm honest, isn't as interesting.

*it was going to be 'gunning for', but even I'm not that obvious**
                                            ** I mean, I am, but for the sake of this discussion...etc.
                                            This man knows how to defend a lost cause. Raise him to corporal!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              Like you weren't down at the front hoping to catch a discarded headband.
                                              The fuckers almost ruined a Talking Heads gig in Doncaster by being the support act.

Comment

In 'Lithium' by Nirvana, Kurt Cobain sings:

'I'm so horny, that's okay
                                                My will is good'

which until this year I'd thought was 'my willy's good'.

Okay, it's highly unlikely that Cobain would have called his equipment a willy at any point, but you can see why 11 year old me thought it might be that.

​​​​

Comment

I like your version much better than Kurt's

Comment

It wasn't until my mid-twenties when I realised that Randy Crawford wasn't a fan of illuminating the local neighborhood and was actually singing about Street life.

One of those moments where you can't help but wonder why your brain draws the conclusions that it sometimes does, and with such certainty.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X