Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Phife, one of the founders of one of the all-time great rap groups, has died.

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaIDj6vBEoU

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Can he kick it? Yes, he has.

Sorry - ATCQ were great and are still undersung by history, I think.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

RIP, the funky diabetic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIah18jcJko

Reminds me I still haven't seen Beats, Rhymes & Life.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Agree, great band - probably my favourite hip-hop combo of the nineties.

RIP, Phife.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

I only know the first album, which is ace, so am watching the documentary at the moment. The whole thing is on YouTube.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Even being aware of his ill health, I find this a bit shocking. Quest are no more.

First three LP's are probably the best run of hip hop albums in the whole genre.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Luke R wrote: First three LP's are probably the best run of hip hop albums in the whole genre.
              Even better than De La Soul's first three LPs?

I'll be playing ATCQ on my evening walk today.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Damn.

RIP five foot assassin.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Smallcaps wrote:
                  Originally posted by Luke R
                  First three LP's are probably the best run of hip hop albums in the whole genre.
                  Easily.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Luke R wrote:
                    Originally posted by Smallcaps
                    Originally posted by Luke R
                    Easily.
                    I wasn't a big fan of that first De La record but the second was really good. I actually need to buy that again since it stayed with an ex-girlfriend when we broke up. On the plus side, I ended up with all of The Who CDs.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Just clicked Inca's link for the first time. I always thought ATCQ took hip hop up a level or two when they released The Low End Theory, and particularly that Jazz (We've Got)/Buggin' Out single and it's wonderful video.

I've thought for a while that Rap's never really made a big enough thing about rapping duo's. There's a special dynamic that comes into play, a sum of their parts thing, like EPMD or Group Home. None of which are really recognized as having the greatest MC's in their make-up, yet have made recordings so much more compelling than many many others who did/do.

A few less obvious choices.

De La Soul B.U.D.D.Y (Remix)
                      A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario (Young Nation Remix). Original is obviously better but always thought this mix was incredibly slept on.
                      A Tribe Called Quest - God Lives Through
                      Phife Dawg featuring Hi-Tek - D.R.U.G.S.
                      Phife Dawg - Thought U Wuz Nice. (JD beats)

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

One of those tv spots where they try and get as many lyrics from a band into a weather report thing.

Respect to WSB-TVs Mark Arum and Fred Blankenship.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

MsD wrote: I only know the first album, which is ace, so am watching the documentary at the moment. The whole thing is on YouTube.
                          He's not really overused on that first LP. That documentary is enjoyable and now sadly, leaves you wanting more ATCQ.

A rather significant chunk of my adolescence has just evaporated. I suppose that sort of thing becomes common the older one gets.

Nice zippy of a collection of Phife related recordings. Good blog this. http://www.unkut.com/2016/03/download-a-tribute-to-phife-dawg/

He would have made a great party MC.

Comment

Phife Dawg, 1970 - 2016

Luke R wrote:
                            I've thought for a while that Rap's never really made a big enough thing about rapping duo's. There's a special dynamic that comes into play, a sum of their parts thing, like EPMD or Group Home. None of which are really recognized as having the greatest MC's in their make-up, yet have made recordings so much more compelling than many many others who did/do.
                            Thanks for these links.

It does seem like there were a lot more groups or rapping duos in the early 1990s than we find now, where people tend to rap on their own and just have guests on tracks.

I also think about KMD, Leaders of the New School, Souls of Mischief, The Pharcyde.

It seems that the early 2000s was kind of the end of the rap group or duo. These are two of my favorites, although radically different than what I listed above. The beats on both are so good. Mobb Deep, "The Learning (Burn)" and Dead Prez, "Hip Hop"

Comment

Working...
                            X