Songs and videos you just can't find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think the internet would have solved this issue, but let's list dimly remembered songs and videos there's no record of.

1. I once heard a parody of Surfin' USA called Potholing UK. No sign of it anywhere.

2. A version (or a video) of Ging Gang Goolie. It featured a lady dressed as a Brownie with very long hair. It had quite a profound effect on me as a boy

I would help you search but I'm Yewtree-phobic.

Comment

There's an entire music programme that I can't find any sign of.

It was shown on South African TV in the late 80s / early 90s, and featured two rival radio stations based in London in the late 70s, one of which played obscure punk songs, and the other more charty songs (I think). The entire credits list was of German names, but the programme itself was in English.

There appears to be no evidence it ever existed...

Comment

Every now and then I try to see if I can find the theme music for a 1970s BBC 2 series called Take Another Look and the same number of nows and thens I'm disappointed.

Programme? Filler-y lightweight science documentaries sourced on the cheap and narrated by Eric Thompson. Music? Inoffensive early-days-of-synthesiser, but a rather lovely small tune to it.

Comment

As research for something I was writing, I recently tried to find Oh What an 'orrible Noise! (?) - a rather route-one parody of Laurie Anderson's O Superman, released almost simultaneously.

With no recollection of who recorded it, not only could I find no video or sound record of this song, there seems to be zero evidence of its ever having existed. Perhaps I hallucinated the whole sorry affair.

Comment

Andy C wrote: Every now and then I try to see if I can find the theme music for a 1970s BBC 2 series called Take Another Look and the same number of nows and thens I'm disappointed.

Programme? Filler-y lightweight science documentaries sourced on the cheap and narrated by Eric Thompson. Music? Inoffensive early-days-of-synthesiser, but a rather lovely small tune to it.
            No idea if this is what you are looking for but this page has a link to Take Another Look by the Radiophonic workshop

Comment

That's it! I don't recall ever having heard the middle part before, either.

Comment

The actual cassette B-side of Amanda Marshalls "Let It Rain", was a live acoustic version of her song "Last Exit To Eden". Everywhere I look online, it is either the album version or the wrong live version. I adore that version of the song and seeing as my cassette bit the dust a long time ago, I can't find it anywhere.

Comment

A band called Ginger, in about 1980, did a song called Blind Date. ("It's the kind of date I like best") as mentioned in a previous thread.

I also have a memory of them doing a track, played by Andy Peebles on his dreaful Friday night R1 show, which went...

She's my pussycat, she's my pussycat, she belongs to me miaow miaow miaow miaow miaow miaow miaow.

I'd love to locate it, but 'Pussycat' by Ginger isn't a helpful search online. Maybe that's not what it is called. Maybe I just dreamt it.

Comment

Don't give up. As recounted in a previous thread, it took me thirty years to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h-eR3zEvkM

(Mind you I still haven't found the video.)

Comment

I'm sure I saw a very pissed Shakin' Stevens performing on kids TV. The climax of the set was him falling off a piano and landing on Joe Brown. No sign of that on YouTube either.

Comment

Gang of Four doing Tourist ('uncensored' version) on a Saturday Morning Kids show called The Mersey Pirate.

Comment

Lightning Seeds B-side, on the cassette single of Sugar Coated Iceberg, called This Power.

Comment

This is a terrific song which plenty of folk on here will doubtless be familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwjEIur4t-Q

But there was another version of it doing the rounds some years later, circa 1987, with a different solo in the middle and a slightly tweaked sound overall. And I've never been able to find it.

Comment

Jimski wrote: There's an entire music programme that I can't find any sign of.

It was shown on South African TV in the late 80s / early 90s, and featured two rival radio stations based in London in the late 70s, one of which played obscure punk songs, and the other more charty songs (I think). The entire credits list was of German names, but the programme itself was in English.

There appears to be no evidence it ever existed...
                              POGO 1104?

Comment

Nope, sadly it doesn't sound at all right. Also there were definitely more than 4 episodes. I'm starting to think I dreamed it.

Comment

I've been trying to find the theme tune to the short-lived early 1990s BBC TV drama Chalkface. I think it was Alan Price who wrote it.

Comment

Can anyone find the original album version of Simple Minds 'Theme for Great Cities'?

All I can find are live versions or 101 different remixes.

Comment

Jimski's South Afrian music show is one for G-Man, surely? I assume he's still travelling at the moment as he's not replied yet...

Comment

Disco Child Ballads wrote: I've been trying to find the theme tune to the short-lived early 1990s BBC TV drama Chalkface. I think it was Alan Price who wrote it.
                                        Similarly I've been looking for the theme to an old BBC1 comedy-drama about a taxi firm from 1997 called Roger Roger. The tune was called One-Way Wonderland.

Comment

Land Waster wrote: Can anyone find the original album version of Simple Minds 'Theme for Great Cities'?

All I can find are live versions or 101 different remixes.
                                          This video may carry the wrong artwork (i.e. they're referring to it appearing on a compilation) but I've just checked my album ('Sister Feelings Call') and it's the right length: 5'51'' / 5'52''. Sounds right, too - doesn't sound remixed at all to me.

(Mind you, I hated the production on that (twin) album - sounded all tinny to me, after 'Empires And Dance'.)

Comment

There is a whole group I can't find a trace of. They were a mid-late '90s pop group, I think either Danish or German, called Bones. I can't remember what any of their songs were called, but they had some ace tunes and an excellent female singer. Their name is pretty search engine-proof, and the existence of an American rock band with the same name doesn't help.

Comment

Sam wrote: Jimski's South Afrian music show is one for G-Man, surely? I assume he's still travelling at the moment as he's not replied yet...
                                              Nah, never heard of that programme. But in the late 1980s I watched almost no TV at all.

Comment

Working...
                                              X