Airplane, J-L Godard & Guerilla gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent a good part of today remembering Paul Kantner, and trawling Airplane bits and pieces. I came across this live version of House at Pooneil Corners performed on a New York City rooftop. I vaguely remember reading about it at the time — November 1968 — but didn't realise it was organised and filmed by Jean Luc Godard. Not that you'd particularly know by looking at it. Around the same time Godard was making One Plus One with The Rolling Stones, and clearly had a hard on for revolution Rock — or something.

Anyway, this happened a couple of months before The Beatles over Savile Row (did they know about the Airplane's performance and hope for the same police response?) Guerilla gigs became more commonplace later, but I'm not sure how many were filmed. If you know of any put 'em here.

(U2's rooftop promo doesn't count.)

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
    Anyway, this happened a couple of months before The Beatles over Savile Row (did they know about the Airplane's performance and hope for the same police response?)
    I think George Harrison was in New York State around this time hanging out with The Band, so he was probably aware, and Paul McCartney was into avant-garde/psychedelic music/happenings, so may have also known.

Comment

Interesting. If I'd had to guess it seems more of a Lennonish type of stunt.

Comment

Working...
      X