Books Devoted to Particular Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowie's passing reminded me that Hugo Wilcken's David Bowie's Low (33 1/3) is the best book I've read about one work

http://www.amazon.com/David-Bowies-Low-Hugo-Wilcken/dp/0826416845

Douglas Wolk's 33 1/3 on James Brown's Live at the Apollo was my favorite of those that I've read.

Comment

David Quantick's Revolution: The Making of The Beatles' White Album is a good read. Provides great detail to each song on the album, with a backdrop to the music & politics of 1968.

Comment

I have the James Brown book on my shelf. I'm hoping to get to that one soon, although I've had it for a few years now.

The Exile on Main Street book (by Bill Janowitz of Buffalo Tom) was pretty good. Mostly a track by track exploration.

The Smiths Meat is Murder was interesting but radically different than the others I have read. It's a fictional tale that uses the Smiths record as a kind of backdrop. I enjoyed the approach, although the story wasn't as good as other novels and there wasn't much about the record, so...

I recently read the Fresh Fruit and Rotting Vegetables (Dead Kennedys) book and really enjoyed it. Foley weaves an exploration of California's political landscape (esp. San Francisco) in the late 70s with the emergence of punk in California to narrate the DK's formation and the development of the songs that would feature on this album.

Comment

Working...
        X