Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of a wonderful life

RIP Colin Vearncombe a.k.a. Black

The video for "Wonderful Life" is a thing of beauty, like a coffee table book of arty black & white photography.

Shit, that's terrible. A coma caused by a car crash. Didn't know much about him but we have mutual friends and I met him at a party at theirs, chatted and he was a lovely guy. No airs and graces at all. Young kids as I remember as well.

Comment

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I loved his voice (he was a trained opera singer, I believe) and their early stuff. Not trying to be 'cool', there - I just got their first few singles and they were great, but the stuff after the first album left me cold, despite his voice.

'Hey Presto'

'More Than The Sun'

...and the best one of all:

'Stephen'

Comment

Did he do "More Than The Sun"? That's a great song. I thought it was the Stranglers.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Did he do "More Than The Sun"? That's a great song. I thought it was the Stranglers.
          That was 'Always The Sun', I believe.

Comment

Wonderful Life is a perfect pop song, as comforting as a warm bath without being bland or corny, and one that suggests a warm and beautiful heart.

Comment

I heard of his accident about a week ago on Yahoo, and put a comment that I hope he pulls through like Marc Almond. Sadly, we know now this wasn't to be.
              I only knew of him from his first album and hits.
              It was only when he had his accident that I read his wiki entry,and he made 14 albums from '87 to '15. So, I was quite pleased that he still had a career in music and not given up like maybe some of his 80s contemporaries.

Comment

MsD wrote: Wonderful Life is a perfect pop song, as comforting as a warm bath without being bland or corny, and one that suggests a warm and beautiful heart.
                That is very well put.

Comment

Very sad news.

It's for Wonderful Life that he'll be remembered I guess, but he first hit with Sweetest Smile, which sent my 14 year old head spinning. WL seemed a bit average next to it.

Everything's Coming Up Roses from the same album was terrific as well.

Comment

Sweetest Smile was like Wonderful Life's darker, more solemn cousin. Both were great songs.

You could get downbeat, worldly tracks like that into the upper reaches of the charts back then, and they would end up being heard by a mass audience on radio, in what is now a long-gone age. And that's why Wonderful Life got a second life in loads of advertisements in the 1990s and 2000s, because so many people remembered hearing it in 1988.

They were such sombre and intelligent songs that it's a little unsettling to think Colin Vearncombe was only in his mid-20s when he wrote and sang them. RIP.

Comment

RIP, Black. Very talented guy with whose work I'd rather lost touch over the past couple of decades. More fool me.

Comment

Wonderful Life made the Top 10 as a re-entry:

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/23651/black/

Everything's Coming Up Roses was a chart flop but sounds great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrFfzOYY45M

Comment

Working...
                        X