Acts whose names *are* identical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Taylor out of that there Queen and Roger Taylor out of that there Duran Duran.

Comment

Sylvia (Robinson - US R&B one-hit-wonder who went on to found Sugar Hill Records) / Sylvia (Vrethammar - Swedish one-hit-wonder of Y Viva Espana-fame) / Sylvia (Kirby - US pop/country chanteuse who worked with Juice Newton)

All recorded under simply their first name.

The Rods (eighties US hard-rock combo) / The Rods (briefly-used short form of Eddie & The Hot Rods - UK pub rock/new wave heroes)

Comment

The Vipers:

1) 50s British skiffle group.

2) Late 70s Irish New-Wave band.

3) [Petunia &] the Vipers, contemporary Canadian Roots, country, Latin band.

Comment

Ted Heath (former prime minister, quite useful on the organ and with the baton) and Ted Heath (the bandleader).

Comment

Are they not the same....etc. etc.

Comment

The Killers - Successful rock band of the 00s.
              The Killers - Rubbish and obscure punk band from the '70s whose record I bought on strength of the cover, and played exactly once.

I imagine there were more bands by that name.

Comment

Underworld - 90's Lad Techno

Underworld 60's Canadian garage

Comment

There have been a few bands called Kaleidoscope over the years, including one British 60s act who changed their name to Fairfield Parlour which could get them in the other thread as a band sometimes confused with Fairport Convention.

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: Mick Jones b.1944 Guitarist etc etc with Foreigner
                    Mick Jones b 1955 Guitarist etc etc with The Clash et al
                    Mick Jones b ? Guitarist with Man

Comment

Hobgoblin wrote: Underworld - 90's Lad Techno
                      I don't know what lad techno would be (maybe something trancier or Fatboy Slimmier). I really don't think Underworld are/were though.

Born Slippy apart like.

* and even that record wasn't particularly laddy. If not for it's use in Trainspotting it would have passed by relatively unnoticed.

Comment

It's the 'lager lager lager' bit isn't it.

But yes, lad techno brings more to mind awful late-90s trance (Darude maybe?)

Comment

Yes, or all that end of/turn of the century Oakenfold stuff that sounds like the Big Brother Theme, including the Big Brother theme.

Comment

As well as legendary Canvey pub rockers Dr Feelgood there is/was an American blues band of the same name - I only know this because I bought one of the latter's albums by mistake whilst hoovering up large amounts of vinyl at a record fair some years ago and was massively disappointed when I put it on and Lee Brilleaux was nowhere to be heard.

Comment

That reminds me, and this could be a "records bought thinking they were one thing but turned out to be another" thread hijack, but I bought a Waikiki Beach Boys LP thinking it was a Beach Boys-Beach Boys best of.

Easily enough done I think. I was younger, it was cheap. I think.

Comment

As well as legendary Canvey pub rockers Dr Feelgood there is/was an American blues band of the same name - I only know this because I bought one of the latter's albums by mistake whilst hoovering up large amounts of vinyl at a record fair some years ago and was massively disappointed when I put it on and Lee Brilleaux was nowhere to be heard.
                                It was also the title of an album/track by Mötley Crüe, IIRC.

The Boys (original name of The Action - sixties UK pop group) / The Boys (London-based punk/new-wave band) / The Boys (US R&B ensemble who hit with Dial My Heart in 1988) / The Boys (Polish disco collective about whom I know absolutely zip)

Comment

Can we have translations? If only to get The Mutants and Os Mutantes into this...

Comment

Luke R wrote: That reminds me, and this could be a "records bought thinking they were one thing but turned out to be another" thread hijack, but I bought a Waikiki Beach Boys LP thinking it was a Beach Boys-Beach Boys best of.

Easily enough done I think. I was younger, it was cheap. I think.
                                    Set up a new thread for this. These things always rather amuse me.

Comment

Culture: long-lived Jamaican roots reggae outfit
                                      Culture: short-lived Floridian vegan/sxe hardcore outfit

Comment

There's been at least three bands called Isis, Aaron Turner's boring post-metal effort being the only one I am au fait with.

Not sure the more famous Isis are that known for their love of the riff, dour bastards that they are.

Comment

David Ball (UK rock guitarist with Procol Harum) / David Ball (US country singer/songwriter) / David Ball (UK keyboardist who was one half of Soft Cell - and a former member of my pub music quiz team)

Comment

The lady rapper from X-Clan was called Isis. Looking it up now she changed her name ages ago (prescient!). Quite earnest looking. I used to think she looked like an angry Donna Summer.

Comment

That's interesting headgear she's wearing. Can you make the hands clap together like those novelty hats kids have at Dutch football matches?

Comment

Two Dave Stewarts, if they've not been mentioned.

Comment

There must have been another 'Chameleons' around, if 'The Chameleons' had to become 'The Chameleons UK'. There was also 'Lori and the Chameleons' (I had their single 'The Lonely Spy' on Korova Records), but I fear that's not near enough to qualify.

Comment

Manufactured 60s pop band - The Flower Pot Men
                                                    50s anarchist stringed duo - The Flower Pot Men

Comment

Working...
                                                    X