Beatles Timeline: 50 years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beatles Timeline: 50 years on

It has climbed back to No. 1 on the albums chart: 36,000 sales, beating Sheeran.

Comment

Just thought I'd drop in to mention that according to Wikipedia's 'On this day ...' box, it's sixty years today since Lennon and McCartney first met.

Comment

'Paul, this is John'
        'Hi'
        'John, this is Paul'
        'Hi'
        Paul: 'John, in 10 years time, we will make the greatest album ever, and it will be still heralded on its 50th anniversary in the 21st Century. And it will be based on Edwardian music hall'.
        John: 'Does Elvis Presley mean anything to you?'

Comment

Nice one Sam, and good avatar Serge.

Comment

Applause for that little vignette Serge.

Comment

Not quite on the the time-scale but 53 years ago (yesterday) The Beatles met Bob Dylan for the first time.

I think this would be the rather tense and nervy occasion in Dylan's London hotel room, shown in Don't Look Back and "moderated" by Allen Ginsberg.

Comment

I think the cover of the first MOJO magazine had an image of Lennon and Dylan from that session.

Comment

In 5 minutes time, it'll be the 50th anniversary of the 'Magical Mystery Tour' film.

Comment

Oh, I missed it. I was only sleeping.

Comment

Talking of: Magical Mystery Tour in cover versions

Comment

Lewisohn thinks the MMT film is under-rated. Dunno, I started watching it on NPR, restored in colour, and still thought it was dross.

Looking slightly ahead, next month is the Hey Bulldog session, which I would take over any MMT track except Walrus.

Comment

Hey Bulldog is just amazing. The dissing of that and Helter Skelter perplexed me when I was an obsessive poring over Ian McDonald’s Revolution in the Head.

It’s All Too Much was pretty damn good as well, mibees the closest they got to SF style acid rock as opposed to music hall trippiness (or the still incredible but somehow out of time and still from the future Tomorrow Never Knows), those two songs save the Yellow Submarine soundtrack from being an absolute bucket of shite.

Fuck, I’ve half a hankering for a microdot now. If you could make it stop after two hours or so.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-12-2017, 02:08.

Comment

I kinda like Flying and Blue Jay Way as well G-Man, even if they are slight and throwaway. I’d take either over the slightly gloopy and curdled (lyrics just seem Too Much Macca) Fool on the Hill. Hello Goodbye should have been strangled at birth. Always had to fast forward that pish when I was tripping.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-12-2017, 02:01.

Comment

Tomorrow's session working on some early takes for Lady Madonna and Across the Unverse.

The former was a single by March but I never realised the latter was already a "thing" considering the White Album hadn't even been recorded yet.

Comment

Across the Universe belongs to the India phase, which began when they met the Maharishi in August 1967 but was over for Lennon by The White Album, as evidenced by Sexy Sadie being originally an attack on the Maharishi. Across the Universe was recorded just before they left for India, but Lennon was not happy with it and eventually gave it to a World Wildlife Fund compilation, before it was unwisely given strings and a choir for Let It Be.

Comment

This post is four days late, but 28th July marked the 50th anniversary of 'the mad day out.'

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/07...-location-one/

Its even got a book about it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Tom...es+mad+day+out

Comment

I thought they'd fallen out by then, but they seem to be OK in these photos. Yoko was apparently not yet surgically attached to Lennon's right arm although they had been living together since May.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-08-2018, 20:22.

Comment

They'd already started recording the 'White Album' in May, and McCartney just fancied a break from recording. The falling out started when Lennon was taking Yoko to the recording sessions, and when they were filming the 'Let It Be' film in Jan '69, the tension is there for all to see.
                                      I've only seen 'Let It Be' once in the early '80s, and was surprised to see how well they got on at the final rooftop concert. It was only years later that I came to realise that The Beatles were always the happiest when performing.
                                      One of the reviews for the 'Mad Day Out' book states that he can't believe that a book has been published about what is just a photo session, but looking at the year of Feb '68 to Jan '69, the following recent books have been released:

Their extended holiday in India, Feb '68 to May'68;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Across-Univ...atles+in+india

The 'Mad Day Out', July '68;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Tom...es+mad+day+out

And two books about their final (42 mins) concert, Jan '69

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Roo...S0NYJS6PW8FW50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roof-Beatle...EY4G233MACRV9Z

I can't think of any other artist(s) whose life/career has been broken down and analysed as much as The Beatles, not even Elvis.

Comment

Or Dylan even. And he's had a lot written about him.

Comment

It's easy stuff,there's so much about them to write about, SHOUT by Philip Norman is still the definitive work in my opinion

Comment

I tried to get to see the 50th anniversary release of Yellow Submarine a few weeks ago but couldn't manage to get a showing.

As Serge mentioned upthread, they are recording The White Album at the moment (does anyone ever call that album 'The Beatles'?) It's definitely my favourite Beatles album. I've been listening To Harry Nilsson's Harry album (1969) a lot lately and any fans of the McCartney songs on the White Album would be well advised to listen to it. There's a great version of Mother Nature's Son on it bu also many of Nilsson's self-penned songs on that album could almost be outtakes from the White Album.

Talking of the McCartney side of things, I recently heard Peter Serafinowicz talking about his love for the McCartney lyrics in A Day in the Life and how he wished there were more of them, so he could he find out what happens after he gets off the bus. So he did his own version. It's great fun.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByU...JOcEhpNE0/view
                                            Last edited by Jon; 13-08-2018, 16:22.

Comment

Superb lengthy piece in the latest "Record Collector" magazine about the making of the LP. One of the incidental points it makes is that it was "the Beatles" or "The Double Album" for a while. It was from about 1972 onwards that "The White Album" became the accepted common name.

Comment

Originally posted by MiserableOldGit View Post
                                                I think with Penny Lane, it had a rhythm and tempo that seemed slightly at odds with pop songs of the time and it still doesn't quite seem a comfortable fit.
                                                If you haven't watched it, check out Howard Goodall's The Beatles: A Musical Appreciation and Analysis.

He goes as far to say the Beatles, particularly Paul McCartney, were up there with Mozart. And that they rescued classicial music from itself.

His deconstruction of Penny Lane is really interesting. It's quite complex musically.

Comment

Recording completed on The Beatles pending 22nd November release, and seeds of disintegration well and truly sown.

Comment

Two different Beatles compositions are No. 1 on different sides of the Atlantic - 'With A Little Help From My Friends' (Joe Cocker) in the UK, 'Hey Jude' (Beatles) in the USA. Yoko is in hospital and their unborn child will die on Nov 21st. IIRC this pushes Lennon and Yoko towards the heroin habit that makes him even more uncommunicative in the 'Get Back' sessions in January. 'Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins' is released tomorrow (11/11/68) in the USA.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-11-2018, 16:40.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X