X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Man
    replied
    Beatles Timeline: 50 years on

The perceptions are correct, though. They belong exactly in the same sentence as Bach on account of the massive influence they had on popular music. You might not enjoy the music, but to ignore or diminish that immense influence is to reveal a certain music-historical illiteracy.

Leave a comment:

• linus
    replied

I don't dislike the Beatles really, just the notion that their cannon is something that towers over their contemporaries and is stupendously exceptional and the best of their time, and stated in the same sentence as Bach. That's how they are commonly perceived. I wouldn't put any Beatles album in my top 100 from 1965-72 (my list would be about 2,500 deep though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1DDR-oATM

The best of the period was more on the margins, although the bigger bands were also really good.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

linus wrote: Ah, great, five years of semicentennial Beatles worship ahead. Looking forward to the long debates about which slightly better than average MOR Beatles album is the best album of all time.
    You see, if 'I' were affecting the oh-so-arch anti-Beatles stance, I'd probably have balked at the thread title and gone some place else...

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

To linus, Bach just hummed, Billie Holiday just crooned, Miles Davis just doodled, B.B. King just strummed, Michael Jackson just hopped, Public Enemy just shouted...

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied

An MOR song, forty-nine years ago

Leave a comment:

• linus
    replied

Ah, great, five years of semicentennial Beatles worship ahead. Looking forward to the long debates about which slightly better than average MOR Beatles album is the best album of all time.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied

Great find! Text to Dad sent.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied

Rubber Soul was released 50 years ago today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Soul

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied

G-Man's vision of a world with fewer Beatles songs chills my bones.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

Good thread, only time for a top 10 for now:

Ticket to Ryde (John)
    She's a woman (Paul)
    Things we said today (Paul)
    I feel fine (John)
    Norwegian wood (John)
    And your bird can sing (John)
    Penny Lane (Paul)
    Old Brown Shoe (George)
    Don't pass me by (Ringo)
    Here comes the Sun (George)

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

Yeah, a few tracks are down already, including Nowhere Man and In My Life, though most will be recorded next month before the early December release. So no pressure.

Back to the studio in two days time to finish We Can Work It Out.

And bear in mind that on 6 April next year, they'll be back in the studio to begin recording Revolver, starting with Tomorrow Mever Knows.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied

MBEs collected yesterday, recording of Rubber Soul is under way at Abbey Road.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied

But would they have been that productive if they hadn't been under pressure to record 2 albums + 4 singles a year? When the pressure was reduced (1967-68) the songs became more fragmentary. Macca was always very active but Lennon could be lazy if nobody was telling him they needed 6 songs by the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

Imagine The Beatles would not have had to release albums every few months. The tracklistings for Beatles For Sale/Help a Rubber Soul/Revolver combo would have been unbelievable.

August 1965 might have seen an LP like this (presuming that one or two of For Sale tracks could have been used in the movie, and let's add a single to it as well):

No Reply
    I'm A Loser
    Baby's In Black
    I'll Follow The Sun
    Eight Days A Week
    Every Little Thing
    I Feel Fine
    Help!
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    I Need You
    You're Going To Lose That Girl
    Ticket To Ride
    It's Only Love
    Yesterday

And in 1966, Rubber Soul/Revolver

Drive My Car
    Norwegian Wood
    Nowhere Man
    I'm Looking Through You (though Michelle might more obvious)
    Girl
    In My Life
    If I Needed Someone
    Taxman
    Eleanor Rigby
    Here, There And Everywhere
    Good Day Sunshine
    And Your Bird Can Sing (or I Want To Tell You)
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Substitute your least favourite track for the obligatory Ringo track.

Leave a comment:

• The Inner Light
    replied

The thing about the Beatles is the incredible diversity. Also even now the freshness. I played Rain and hey bulldog do my son in law and he couldn't believe they were just short of 50 years old

Leave a comment:

• Come along, Min
    replied

This Boy
    A Hard Day's Night
    In My Life
    And Your Bird Can Sing (I like the Anthology "stoned" version best)
    It's All Too Much
    I've Got A Feeling
    {Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window}
    {Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End}

not a bad sign off either

Leave a comment:

• Taylor
    replied

Serge Gainsbourg wrote:
    Originally posted by Taylor
    I'm a sucker for any of those desperate-sounding acoustic Lennon songs.
    There was quite a few in an 18-month period. SP's lost gem 'If I Fell', 'I'm A Loser' 'Every Little Thing' 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party' 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' 'Norwegian Wood' and 'Girl'
    All written between the ages of 23 to 25, and it shows a very sensitive side to someone who was quite self-loathing and a self-confessed bastard on occasion.
    Don't forget "I'll Be Back", which is possibly the best of all of them.

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied

Sits wrote: Tracks 2 and 3 on For Sale are wonderful, especially Baby's in Black which is another one of those "forgotten" gems.

Every time I hear it, and they sing

Oh, how long will it take
    Till she sees the mistake
    She has made

I get the 'bumps.
    Beatles For Sale is chock full of bumps moments:
    I'll Follow the Sun: "And now the time has come and so my love I must go. And though I lose a friend, in the end you will know.

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party: George's guitar solo and "Though tonight she's made me sad - I still love her."

The aforementioned "Every little thing she does, she does for me"
    And George Martin's piano playing in the "Go get you here and
    play a tango" verse of Rock 'n' Roll music. Ringo's drumming kicks arse in the same bit too.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied

Tracks 2 and 3 on For Sale are wonderful, especially Baby's in Black which is another one of those "forgotten" gems.

Every time I hear it, and they sing

Oh, how long will it take
    Till she sees the mistake
    She has made

I get the 'bumps.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied

Even their weakest albums - Beatles for Sale, Let It Be - have some awesome songs. Maybe the best measure of "strength" of an album is to look for the median quality track, which is still going to be very good on any album except arguably those two above (if I had to pick a No. 1 on that basis, I'd be split between A Hard Day's Night and Revolver; Pepper and the White Album would be fairly high because their middling tracks are under-rated IMHO: Lovely Rita, Long Long Long?).

One caveat: I don't think Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine were proper album releases. MMT charted here as an import; Yellow Submarine was a compilation of odds and sods to cash in on the movie.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied

Taylor wrote: I'm a sucker for any of those desperate-sounding acoustic Lennon songs.
    There was quite a few in an 18-month period. SP's lost gem 'If I Fell', 'I'm A Loser' 'Every Little Thing' 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party' 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' 'Norwegian Wood' and 'Girl'
    All written between the ages of 23 to 25, and it shows a very sensitive side to someone who was quite self-loathing and a self-confessed bastard on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied

Of the early Beatles stuff, I think If I Fell is the lost gem.

But yes, Help was the first coherent album. And this was at a time where the idea of an album didn't really exist.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor
    replied

I've never quite understood why people don't like "It's Only Love" (apart from a few crappy lyrics). Even Lennon thought it was pretty wack. I think it's great - although I'm a sucker for any of those desperate-sounding acoustic Lennon songs.

Imagine Levi Stubbs singing the chorus. We missed a good one there.

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied

Serge Gainsbourg wrote:
    Originally posted by kokamoa

I see nothing particularly wrong with "Another Girl" and "It's Only Love". They are not pop classics, but they are not loathsome.
    'It's Only Love' is one of my favourite songs, along with 'Every Little Thing' from 'Beatles For Sale', as it shows a beautiful vulnerability in John Lennon's voice.
    I was quoting G-Man and got a bit too carried away with the delete button.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied

kokamoa wrote:

I see nothing particularly wrong with "Another Girl" and "It's Only Love". They are not pop classics, but they are not loathsome.
    'It's Only Love' is one of my favourite songs, along with 'Every Little Thing' from 'Beatles For Sale', as it shows a beautiful vulnerability in John Lennon's voice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X