Record Store Day 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record Store Day 2015

Record Store Day 2015 promises limited editions of the Banshees' Join Hands, and a GOLD vinyl 7" of Kings of the Wild Frontier.

I might even queue up.

Record Store Day 2015

I know that most here will be waiting for this one:

U2
    Songs of Innocence (Record Store Day Deluxe Exclusive Vinyl)

DETAILS
    Format: 2 x 12" Vinyl
    Label: IGA
    Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
    More Info:
    White, dye-cut gatefold center hole vinyl sleeve on front and back covers. Double black vinyl. Numbered.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Why? Is it free?

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

I looked in my record collection this morning and someone had already stuck it in there without my knowledge.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Stay At Home And Avoid Hipsters Day.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Shop. They are shops.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Eh, grandad?

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Grandad products in grandad shops.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Last year there were quite a lot of articles saying that RSD had got too big and corporate, with too many inessential 'special releases', something Inca's post seems to support.

Is it something where the event and the backlash can co-exist for years to come without either having to evolve, or do the doubters have a point?

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

TonTon wrote: Shop. They are shops.
                    You should read Phil Ramsden's post on Facebook today.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Benjm wrote: Last year there were quite a lot of articles saying that RSD had got too big and corporate, with too many inessential 'special releases', something Inca's post seems to support.

Is it something where the event and the backlash can co-exist for years to come without either having to evolve, or do the doubters have a point?
                      I dunno. I like nice things (a bit too much, am trying to cut down) and a lovely piece of vinyl, beautifully packaged, is a great pleasure. I was more than happy with my white Dirk last year, and the reissue of Hong Kong garden.

It's also nice to get people into record shops - I still love a mooch around a record shop, something we don't do so much in the digital era.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Benjm wrote: Last year there were quite a lot of articles saying that RSD had got too big and corporate, with too many inessential 'special releases', something Inca's post seems to support.

The RSD website also is also touting a special 311 7"!

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

imp wrote:
                          Originally posted by TonTon
                          Shop. They are shops.
                          You should read Phil Ramsden's post on Facebook today.
                          I did. It made me giggle.

I don't mind the damned yankees saying "Record Store Day", obv.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

MsD wrote:
                            It's also nice to get people into record shops - I still love a mooch around a record shop, something we don't do so much in the digital era.
                            It feels like what a civil war re-enactment must feel like for me. Sad, almost upsetting. Not the same, inauthentic.

A got a massive lump of vinyl I would love to get rid of. I cant be bothered to sell it individually. The weight, the space, what a pain in the ass.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

What's sad about it? I read on the Kindle most of the time for convenience, but still buy books, new and old, and love looking round bookshops. It's the same having a look around Rough Trade East. It's a treasure house of goodies.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

I'm not sure I can quite work it out. It's not the same though. It feels like doing it for doing it sake rather than necessity, a bit trendy like.

It was always about finding undiscovered or new music and that's not the case anymore. It used to be a ritual, as early as possible on Monday (when they've opened and re-stocked anyway) for the new releases. Friday afternoon for the promos. A busy Saturday afternoon if you missed those two. Feels like pretending now, trying to resurrect something that's gone. Fetishising.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

The things about non-digital media and artefacts is that they do lend themselves to random browsing, and they are physical, aesthetically appealing objects.

I like both and don't see any downside. I like being able to order and search my iPod collection. I like having coloured vinyl with little packs of stickers and posters.

All commodities are "fetishised" to an extent, but no-one is dismissive of books, with their many imperfections - dirty, dusty, unhygienic, heavy, impossible to search for keywords. Again, I like both digital and non-digital .. I recently bought a book for research in both Kindle and paper formats. The Kindle was the most useful as I could carry it around and highlight and copy and paste from it. The book looks nice on my shelf.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

I love looking for records in second-hand shops and have found a few decent ones recently but for new vinyl I prefer to buy online, simply because it works out a lot cheaper than buying from record shops. Not that there are many left in Oxford now (just the one) and their second-hand records are priced way too high (even worse than Oxfam).

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

well i'm in the cynical corner - what might have started with good intent seems to have become another thing the "majors" and the established bands take over. whereas newer bands might've been able to get more promotion than normal through releasing something on it, there's no doubt jack white re-releasing an elvis tune and u2 pressing something will hog all the publicity. and, tbh, how many different re-pressings of an album do people really need to own?

local (bristol) label howling owl feels similarly and along with sonic cathedral are releasing a split 7", limited to one sale a day, online, as a protest against it - its a neat idea, record buying should be year round. 'spectres' bat for howling owl, 'lorelle meets the obsolete' for sonic. win-win.

anyway the "unofficial" press release makes the point more elegantly than i... albeit there's something a little 6th form about some of it that troubles me...

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

I handled a 7' single that my mate had just bought yesterday and it was Proustian. The Sweet, since you ask.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Ooh, the second single I ever bought was 'Teenage Rampage'. The old orange sleeve - RCA? Before they started with all that picture sleeve gimmickry.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

TonTon wrote: Shop. They are shops.
                                            Hear fucking Hear TonTon. My current gripe is people at work (I work in a call centre) referring to delivered/delivery as shipped/shipping. The bleeding parcels don't even go on a ship. They go into a DHL van.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

Admittedly this doesn't look quite "gold" enough to me. I have gold rubber and plastic things and they look gold, not yellow.

Comment

Record Store Day 2015

I have a copy! Not in my hand yet. There were only 3000 pressed, all numbered.

Adam is playing and signing at a record shop in Liverpool,
                                                  John Cooper Clark is outside Sister Ray and Gamg of Four will be there about 6.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X