Six degrees of separation ...from The Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Radcliffe rang me up once. He was supposed to be asking me about a record my band had made, but we ended up mostly talking about his spell as a member of Frank Sidebottom's Oh Blimey Big Band. He did play us on his programme that evening, though.

Comment

Apropos of very little (but I'm not starting a new thread just for this) here's a link to a paper ex-Fall member (well, I suppose they're all ex now) Kate Themen wrote about female football in England:

https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/606980/2/K...Submission.pdf

Comment

I bought a shirt from Brix's husband's shop once. It was heavily discounted in the sale.

For extra Fall-ness I should have bought two of the same design and started going out wearing one on top of the other, unbuttoning the outer to reveal the second during course of the evening.

Comment

My one and only time as what, laughingly and loosely, was considered as a gig promoter, saw me inviting Wolfgang Press to play the small hall in Aylesbury Civic Centre in September of 1986. Having booked them a couple of months earlier, not to clash with anything nearby, The Fall suddenly appeared to be playing in Dunstable on the same night.

On the night, as they were doing a sound check, Wolfgang Press not unreasonably, asked about ticket sales and I mentioned the unfortunate and last minute clash. They then went into a blistering cover of Cruisers Creek.

Comment

As I've mentioned on here before, I used to work with Will Hung of I, Ludicrous who, I'm fairly sure, have supported The Fall on at least one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              As I've mentioned on here before, I used to work with Will Hung of I, Ludicrous who, I'm fairly sure, have supported The Fall on at least one occasion.
              Why, that's preposterous!

Comment

Now then, now then.

Comment

Steve Duffy is a mate of mine

Whose brother is Martin Duffy, formerly of Felt and currently of Primal Scream

Who released a single called "All Fall Down" in the early 80s
                  Last edited by Guy Profumo; 08-07-2019, 11:50.

Comment

Mrs H used to manage someone (as a social worker rather than a musician, though she still plays live) who claims to be a former member of The Fall although I've found no record of her online. Name is Carrie. Unfortunately Mrs H was never able to recall the name of the album she claimed to have played on. He was, "a right twat" of course. Didn't stop her attending his funeral, mind.

Comment

My mother-in-law used to be Radiohead's accountant, and Jonny Greenwood claims his first ever gig was The Fall in Oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                        Mrs H used to manage someone (as a social worker rather than a musician, though she still plays live) who claims to be a former member of The Fall although I've found no record of her online. Name is Carrie. Unfortunately Mrs H was never able to recall the name of the album she claimed to have played on. He was, "a right twat" of course. Didn't stop her attending his funeral, mind.
                        her online or his funeral, so what gender was this supposed ex-member?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Red View Post

I once met a fella at a Fall gig who ran his own record label which had once released a Fall single. He sent me a copy of it afterwards. Lovely fella.
                          I knew someone who once claimed to have acquired the rights to a Fall live album, without really knowing what to do with them and eventually sold them to someone else.

Comment

There must be literally hundreds of Fall live albums. I've got most of them plus about 700+ more recordings of live shows. Don't ask why.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

her online or his funeral, so what gender was this supposed ex-member?
                              I guess I mustn't have made myself clear enough. Mrs H manages a team of social workers, one of whom until recently was a woman called Carrie who claims to have played on at least one Fall album, who still gigs and who attended Smith's funeral in spite of her less than favourable opinion of him.

Comment

That narrows it down...

Comment

You'd think so wouldn't you! I asked Mrs H to ask her again which album but, understandably, she didn't want to come across as though she was challenging her.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    Either Bradford or Cambridge, 1992 or thereabouts. Only good band I've ever seen supporting The Fall. If it was Cambridge then Taylor's parents drove us, then went off to have parent fun while we went to the gig.

Comment

“Parent fun”, dm...?

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                        You'd think so wouldn't you! I asked Mrs H to ask her again which album but, understandably, she didn't want to come across as though she was challenging her.
                                        Any idea of her approximate age?

Comment

She's 51, toured with them in her late teens or early 20's and married "an arsehole drummer or bassist from the band."

Comment

Lucy Rimmer?
                                            • Classically trained singer. Occasionally appeared with the group both live and in studio, including two Peel Sessions. Contributed vocals to several songs on Cerebral Caustic and The Light User Syndrome, most of them cover versions. Smith's fiancée at the time, she also ran the group's fan club.
                                            As for arsehole drummers of her age, maybe Wolstencroft, though he doesn't seem an arsehole to me at all. Or the long-lost Karl Burns? I doubt both, but the plot thickens.

Comment

Never engaged to Smith so far as Mrs H is aware.

Comment

Of course, this lady could be bullshitting.

Comment

I wondered that myself. Guess I'll never know.

Comment

The Fall is a great band to bullshit about being in. Everyone just shrugs as it is so difficult to disprove.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X