The Great Band Names Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how this works. Someone uses a turn of phrase in a thread and you think to yourself 'you know, that would make a great name for a band'. So I think we should have a thread to curate and commemorate such moments.

I'll start with:

Forgotten Opposition - ursus arctos

I'm not entirely sure about the original source, so apologies if I've messed up:

Ransack Your Dignity - san2sboro

Comment

I need this. I have a new band starting and all names so far have been nixed or taken already.

Comment

World's Smallest Surprise.

Comment

Mascots Observing Minutes Silences.

I haven't worked out if they're a comedy outfit, or an electronic ensemble.

Electromedy ?

Comment

I've always wanted to call a band To Be Announced.

Comment

On a slightly unrelated note, an ELO tribute band called PLO have an upcoming gig in Glasgow, Israeli tour dates yet to be announced.

Comment

Psycho Poppins - JV has done must of the work for me

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/533-who?limit=20&start=2080#980922

Comment

Ransacking one's dignity is a shameless steal from 'The Day Today', some footage from US news where a politician grabs relief during a TV press conference.

Comment

I was rewatching one of my favourite films recently: David Cronenberg's Videodrome.

Which reminded me that I'd always wanted to be in a band called Cathode Ray Mission.

Comment

Bored, you can have my band's name Angstridden as long as you re-record some of our greatest hits.

Comment

I think what this thread is gradually proving is that what constitutes a 'great band name' is not a universally-held opinion.

Comment

Burgundy Jumpers

(Twisted Sister)

Comment

Short Lebanese Cucumbers - tee rex

Comment

argh, didn't read the thread properly.

Comment

As it is slightly in line with the thread, the kids in my class had to choose a band name for the "School Of Rock" type project they are doing (don't ask me). There were some quite good ones - Bang Bang, Hot Wings etc. but the best was when the, let's say, behaviourally challenged lad just said "CHICKEN!". They went with "U mad bro?". I say they should have stuck with "CHICKEN!"

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Prevent swamp ass.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I was rewatching one of my favourite films recently: David Cronenberg's Videodrome.

Which reminded me that I'd always wanted to be in a band called Cathode Ray Mission.
                                    CRM are going to play Friday's at my previously described club that specializes in surf guitar/sci-fi and rockabilly.

Comment

Cathode Ray Mission definitely sounds like a surf/psycho band, yes. They sound like they may have opened for Man...Or Astroman? (Now there was a band.)

In days of yore when I worked as a graphic artist for British Gas, they used some kind of underwater machine called an Amethyst Slugcatcher.

That always sounded to me like a band that would give Mastodon (or their equivalent back in 1988) a run for their money.

Comment

While forming a new band, a mate and I decided to take the band name and all song names from the client records. The band was called "drugstyleopera" and the only song I remember was called "Gunpoint" which does suggest that people had more daring company names in the 80s. We only demoed a couple of songs and never played live but we bother later ended up in a band called "Flying Saucers And The People Who See Them" who were very good but only lasted two gigs.

Comment

Loving the caption by the way, Jah.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: You know how this works. Someone uses a turn of phrase in a thread and you think to yourself 'you know, that would make a great name for a band'. So I think we should have a thread to curate and commemorate such moments.

I'll start with:

Forgotten Opposition - ursus arctos
                                            It's already a thing;

"BNT" - http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/947187-the-good-pub-guide#947255

Comment

All of which just goes to show there are no new thread ideas any more.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: All of which just goes to show there are no new thread ideas any more.
                                                -Ecclesiastes

Comment

I've just had cause to use the phrase 'Wartime Consigliere" on a work zoom meeting and am shocked nobody's ever used it as a band/artist name before.

I always think Flat Track Bully (or Flat Track Bullies) should have been used by now too. I may have even said so on one of these threads before.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-10-2020, 12:57.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X