Saturday night message for evilc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You aren't at the Wrangler show by any coincidence?

Not - I'll take it to the gig thread tomorrow.

Comment

Bugger! Yes, I was, Benjm.

I've only just got home - at nearly 4am (it's a long story, possibly for another time) - and seen this.

I got up there at 6pm, to meet some friends in the Barley Mow and I wasn't checking on OTF at that point either. If I check anything, it's Facebook - and then not always.

Anyway... I presume you were there, then? If so, did you enjoy it?

Comment

No worries - as the time of the post suggests, it was quite late in the day that it occurred to me that it was a definite evilc friendly event!

It was great - I loved the confidence the Wrangler set showed in just how beautiful electronic sounds are in themselves, rather than something that has to be glitched around with too much. Minny Pops and Gazelle Twin made for a very satisfying bill.

I bought the Pauline Murray reissue and Factory New York CDs from James LTM/FBN too, so there's some listening lined up for the week.

The near panic that gripped me coming out of Old Street tube into the Shoreditch night could be one for the middle age thread though.

EDIT: God knows how Stephen Mallinder managed to keep his leather jacket on for so long in there though.

Comment

It was good, yes, but - and I'm not trying to be a smartarse, here - the sound was loads better when I saw them at the Abbeydale Picture House, in Sheffield, a couple of weeks back. They were actually better than Carter/Tutti, that night, despite the latter being the headlining act. I have to say that, after some of Mallinder's previous post-CV projects, I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the album. They amount to more than the sum of their parts, I think. He'll never supplant Kirk as my 'main man', though, even though Kirk's quality control has dipped in the last few albums, IMHO.

Gazelle Twin just isn't my kind of thing, I'm afraid, so I can't really comment on her. Minny Pops were good, though. That 20+ track album they released recently was overkill for their Minimal Wave stylings, I think, but last night's set was just the right length and the frontman was suitably odd-but-nice.

As you say, it was ridiculously hot in there. I'd left my coat (a parka, no less!) in the cloakroom, but - seeing as I'm emerging from a horrid cold - I was still sweating like a sweating thing and went back upstairs at every opportunity.

I was surprised - though pleasantly - by the Factory/LTM spread in the Foyer! I didn't indulge, though.

Why were you freaked out by Shoreditch, though? :-)

Comment

Between each infrequent weekend visit to that part of town I somehow always manage to forget how busy it gets. It must run Blackpool close as a stag and hen night destination these days.

The vocals were a bit lost in the mix. I convinced myself that it was a deliberate artistic choice...

Comment

Wait...this thread's just two guys talking about stuff. What a rip off.

Comment

WOM wrote: Wait...this thread's just two guys talking about stuff. What a rip off.
                Ha! What kind of message did you think it would be? This isn't *that* kind of board, WOM. Sorry - you've been wasting your time, here! ;-)

Comment

Well, you see 'Saturday night message' and it sort of paints a picture...

Comment

Just as well I didn't go with my original title, 'Saturday night massage for evilc'.

Comment

Working...
                    X