Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

This may be the worst thing ever written...Johnny Depp's intro to Joe Perry's autobiography:

As I sit here before a most cacophonous piece of blank onion skin, which I ever so delicately stuffed into my sturdy Olympia typewriter, and which surely deserves a more appreciative and well-balanced operator, but alas, such is its lamentable fate to be clubbed by my inept and clumsy digits, the paper screams for me to make the first move.

My thoughts are charged with the challenge of writing a few words on a man. An artist. A significant, nay, eminent artist, not only for me but for many others. A guitarist extraordinaire. A hero whose immeasurable ability has sent him high onto every Greatest Guitar Player list going ever since he sliced through some of the most tasteful and raging notes to be unleashed on an unwitting world. A hero who I've been given the honor to call both friend and brother.

Pondering him — the man, the mentor — the flood of imagery is astounding. I am swarmed by visions, swept away, almost, happily catapulted backward into fond memories of a (expletive)-up youth, with everything and nothing to look forward to. Did I delve into all those clichéd Things That I Shouldn't Have as a kid? Indeed, (expletive) did. With great passion, pure ignorance, and (expletive) gusto. For a good while there, life for me was an endless, rickety, and dangerous train wreck just waiting to happen. But no self-medication, no booze or chemical what-have-you, has ever done what a solitary sliver of music could do. Not even close.
    And it keeps going.

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

I read this thinking it was about Steve Perry.

Blame the Giants game.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Is it worse than bono's ad about tony bennett?

Tony,
      Trying to sing with you was a humbling if not humiliating experience.
      You’re like a house you can’t break into, at least
      not by force. You can run at the door, but the doors
      are locked…you can bang on the windows…
      I got into the House of Bennett, but
      only as the cat burglar…looking to steal a place in
      this incredible legacy.
      I’ve had the pleasure of singing with you, and for you…
      I broke in through the bathroom window, up a
      drainpipe…I’m not leaving.
      Bono

jonny depp has him beat for length, but Bono paid for a full page ad in billboard.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

actually having read that whole depp piece, and figuring out that he's talking about a member of aerosmith......

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

I think that's what makes it even worse, for me.

Though I had never read that Bono thing before. It sounds like he's in Being John Malkovich, only inside Tony Bennett.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

I'm still disturbed at the idea of johnny depp being saved from suicidal adolescent angst by "Love in an elevator."

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Yeah, but that's Bono doing his Bono 'we were naifs in awe of the master' thing. He did it about Ian Curtis, too. The Miracle of Joey Ramone is just another take on it.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

tony bennett isn't dead though. and he was even less dead in 2006

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Aerosmith are/were a terribly tame band, aren't they? They're like rock music for people who found Motley Crue too edgy and dark.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

replace motley crue with Kiss and I think you're closer to the mark

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Nah, Aerosmith did some fun and hooky stuff, and I don't think Tyler takes himself too seriously or thinks they're making Music That Matters or anything like that. If I had to choose between listening to 8 hours of Queen or Aerosmith, it'd be an easy choice.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

That's like asking me to choose between having my genitals being blowtorched and having them hacked off with a a rusty razor.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

yeah tyler seems like he's having a great time, and sure he hasn't done anything of note since he sang backing vocals on walk away renee, but that makes depp's thing even stranger.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

I'd sooner listen to 'Toys In The Attic' than 'Girls, Girls, Girls'.

EDIT: Which I realise is probably damning with faint praise.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

What've Sailor got to do with owt?

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Green Calx wrote: That's like asking me to choose between having my genitals being blowtorched and having them hacked off with a a rusty razor.
                                I cant see how anyone would go for the former given the choice. Rusty razor is short and sharp whereas blowtorch would, I imagine, be a more prolonged irritation.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Aerosmith have great great moments that other bands that are much-lauded couldn't touch. 'Sweet Emotion' is an astonishing song. Of course, they have put out a lot of crap over the years but this is more than outweighed by the good stuff and the fact they have one of the best rides in the world at Disney.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Haha. Some more beauty from Bono. Responding to criticism of the iTunes automatic download:

“Drop of megalomania, touch of generosity, dash of self-promotion, and deep fear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years mightn’t be heard,” the singer went on.
                                    He was worried that a new U2 album might be ignored by the world.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

Depp is taking the piss.

Comment

Johnny Depp on Joe Perry

No surprises here; Depp has always come across to me as a clueless redneck trying too hard to be "bohemian" and "mysterious", or at least his Hollywood-circa-1991 idea of "bohemian" and "mysterious".

Comment

Working...
                                        X