Musical breakdown deconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst listening to music, I find that there are little magic moments within certain songs that warrant further listening. Beit a nice instrumental piece, or a synth, or cool guitaring that elevates that part of a song over the rest.

In time, it feels like these parts enrich your soul a little. I’ve been trying to isolate these moments within songs, and as a result its left me thinking about certain songs that fit the bill.

The first song I’d like to breakdown is Ian Dury and the blockheads, and ‘dance of the screamers’ from the 1979 album do it yourself.

The song begins in an energetic manner, Charley Charles superb drumming starting proceedings, then on six seconds that bass kicks in, serving as a starting pistol for the rest of the band, and the beat, like a disco beat mixed with punk mixed with sheer madness and fire, drives through to the whole song. On twenty-seven seconds, the fun begins. It’s the way the bass, drumming, piano and whole arrangement pushes the song on, it feels like musical perpetual motion.

Ian Dury was on top form for this song, the opening lyrics:

‘So I’m screaming this to you’

– then letting out the most incredible scream –
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! (listen for yourself if you don’t believe me)

‘From the last past in the queue, (cue more guttural screaming)

‘I really think you’d like me given half a chance
    But since we ain’t got that I’ll do the screamers dance’

‘Some of us are ugly angel, some of us are only small
    Some of us are useless sailor, havent got the where with all
    We went and missed the ending, babe, we never quite caught the bus
    We never speak our minds, my love, we aint got nothing to discuss

Some of us are useless, love it comes from facing up to facts
    Its hard to be a hero handsome when youve had your helmet cracked
    Cheerfulness is catching sweetie when the fevers you have got
    We’ve got a temperature, my dear, we simply haven't got the hots

So Im screaming this to you, waaagh
    Silly season, skies are blue, waaah, waaah, waaah
    I hardly ever think, Ive made a small advance
    I keep my elbows in and do the screamers dance,

DANCE

Waw, some of us are stupid sister, some of us are very shy
    Some of us get nervous chicken when you look us in the eye
    We're ever so pathetic, chickie, we know quite well that we try too hard
    Some of us were born like this while others got it by the yard

So Im screaming this to you, waaagh
    'Cos I havent got a clue, wuaaarh
    I really think Id like you given half the chance
    As we ain't got that, Ill do the screamers dance’

The song, and the lyrics, to me are something special, it’s a hymn for the maligned and those who are made to feel like they don’t fit in...but that isn’t what makes this song stand out for me.

The part that really sends me to my own musical Valhalla is a synth break toward the end. It comes in at 5:05, but peaks at 5:20-5:34. Those fourteen seconds are as good and as perfect a piece of music I have ever heard. They didn’t need the synth, there’s enough going on for the ears, but they added it anyway. Dury the perfectionist. Yes, yes you were, and it shows. Thank you Mr Dury, you took this shit seriously.

Ian Dury and the blockheads - Dance of the screamers

Song two: Aphex Twin – Windowlicker

0:00-0:08 – that filthy, distorted groan sets the tone as the music begins.

0:08-0:21 – lo-fi, subtle, building slowly.

0:22 – the main beat begins in earnest

0:22 – 0:51 – the bridge between the start and the song proper, it gives no clue as to what this song builds into, but it hints at it.

0:52 - then it blossoms into the full song, the female/male vox samples add a dark, sexual air to the music itself, and the whole song flows toward an incredible climactic crescendo of noise.

At 4:50 – the final act plays, it’s an angry distorted sound of guitars and beats as it hits its climax.

It’s great sex in music form.

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

Comment

Song three: DJ Shadow – What does your soul look like, part one.

0:00 – 0:21 Fut fut fut fut fut, the sound of a film reel and a radio being tuned, indecipherable radio chatter, then a note on a keyboard...

0:21 – 0:45 The sound of cymbals being gently stroked, two notes play, such sadness, so simple, yet beautiful.

0:45 – 0:58 The saxophone kicks in alongside a double bass, two further clarion calls. I’ve already been seduced, yet further in I slip.

0:58 – 1:10 – Then a vocal sample – “And why, shouldn’t we, want to go back the way were, a couple of years”

1:10 – BANG, those drums, no doubt this is trip-hop, but it’s more, there’s more, the indecipherable chatter haunts the song, it helps it to grow, at two minutes a vocal is looped to make it sound choral through to 2:24, and then that drum hit kicks in again

2:49 – 3:10 A female vocal, not sure what the words are – knowing them aren’t important – but it’s so softly sung, it’s like being whispered to by an angel

3:15 – 3:37 – I have no idea (I don’t need to know) what language this man is singing in, (Italian?) but listen to his voice!

3:37 – 4:04 – DJ Shadow drops a little scratching into the equation toward the end of this passage of music

4:04 – And it begins again. At 4:40, the first male vocal from 0:58 is sampled again, albeit a different lyric.

4:51 – An angry saxophone wails out a note, giving way to showcase a little more of DJ Shadows abilities as a scratch DJ, all the while the hypnotic elements and samples jostle for position in your headphones before coming to a close at 6:18

The last part from 6:21 onward is a direct sample from John Carpenter horror movie ‘Prince of darkness’, a favourite of DJ Shadow, which scared me fucking shitless as a kid, in a I have to watch this again and again kind of way.

The manner in which DJ Shadow drops in different elements throughout this song happen with an almost mathematical efficiency, without ever sounding artificial.

I have made love, sat and thought of those I’ve loved, those I’ve lost, the life I’ve lived, what stands before me, how to make it better as this song plays. Not all at the same time. Yet.

DJ Shadow - What does your soul look like - Part 1.

Comment

I can't listen to those three, with accompanying notes right now, but will when I get time.

But quickly, and without the ability to link now either, I was listening tinBarry White's You're the First, the Last, My Everything yesterday, for the first time in absolutely ages. While listening it occurred to me my favourite part is where everything stops for a moment, and a single tap on... the drum that goes "tap"... is that a hi-hat? signals everything to kick off again - that's the release. Clever stuff Baz.

Comment

Here it is Sits — if I'm right, the moment you're thinking of is at about 2:29 in this version. You're bang on about that little ...TAP....

ATTT, is that DJ Shadow song off Endtroducing? I've heard so much good stuff about that album over the years, but it's only recently I feel I really would enjoy it, having been listening to a lot of things like Eno, The Orb, Boards of Canada, etc. that have got me into perhaps the right headspace to properly appreciate it.

Comment

VA, It is from endtroducing, and the other acts you mentioned would definitely put you in the mood.

I haven't had the time or fortune to listen to all of Eno's, the orb or board of Canadas (I think Jakatta would be worthy of mention alongside these artists) bodies of works, but based on what I have listened to, I'd say that they share the same almost otherworldy production values of DJ Shadow.

Pre-emptive strike and the private press are both worth listening to in addition to endtroducing, but endtroducing will serve as good a leap-off point as any. The DJ Shadow produced album Psyence fiction - UNKLE's 1998 debut album - is another good example of that sound from that era.

Comment

In addition to DJ Shadow, I hear his turntable partner Cut Chemist in addition to DJ Krush and MF Doom mentioned when I talk to people about Shadow and similar acts. I've listened to a fair bit of cut chemists stuff which I'd say was more upbeat - 'the garden' is a personal favourite - but I haven't endeavored to listen to the music of Krush or Doom. Yet.

Too much music, not enough time.

Comment

Hah, isn't that always the case?!

Thanks for the reply ATTT. All I remember from Psyence Fiction is the Ian Brown-sung single — which was pretty good — plus the Thom Yorke collaboration vaguely, but again I recall the album getting a lot of praise at the time and since.
                I've far from listened to all of the output of the artists I mentioned (e.g. I've only got Boards of Canada's first and latest albums so far), although I'm hoping to fill in the gaps in the future. Speaking of which, Future Sound Of London is another act I'm recently thinking I should very belatedly catch up with as they operated in a similar field to great acclaim.
                I've just been listening for the past couple of days to The Orb's collaborative album with David Gilmour from 2010, Metallic Spheres, which effortless combines the 'Pink Floyd of techno' with, well, Pink Floyd to great effect. I've also got the three-disc deluxe edition of their (as you put it) other-worldly ambient-house debut The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, which is great, although the one I've played by far the most is the relatively little-remembered Orbvs Terrarvm, which is much more 'earthbound' but none the worse for that. I really need to get the in-between U.F.Orb. Also on literally spacey themes, I love Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks, which has some properly gorgeous tunes (the warm slide guitar on several tracks evoking the Apollo astronauts' love of country music) as well as fantastically evocative ambience.

Comment

Before I read that, have to mention, DJ Q-bert is another guy who gets mentioned when the chat turns to all things DJ Shadow. I'll mention it now as I'm bound to forget otherwise!

Comment

Song four – DJ ASSault – Ass ‘n’ titties

This is quite simply a love song, a love song for the ages that has turned songwriting on its sex-crazed head.

In a world that increasingly values technology over humanity, it is refreshing to see an artist strike a blow for the old romantics, truly there are shades of Keats, Blake and Byron within this musical offering, an ode to the female form in all of its glorious glory.

The opening lyrics are stunning in their simplicity, indeed when I attempt to conceptualise love, I often think nothing other than ‘ASS AND TITTIES, ASS N TITTIES’. I can certainly relate! I'm sure that you do, too.

This is a man who values the fuller figure, and he isn’t afraid to express this fact.

The second set of lyrics reveals his sadness regarding women who belittle him for his socio-economic circumstances, before revealing that in fact he is extremely financially solvent, playing the pauper in order to find a woman of substance. This is a classic tactic of the true romantic.

He then reveals his confidence in his lovemaking, virtually guaranteeing his ladyfriend pleasure, whatever the measure. The woman in question also seems quite sure that she will be satisfied.

The MC goes on to sing the praises of basic body hygiene, expressing in no uncertain terms that he simply won’t entertain the notion of becoming involved with a lady if they do not adhere to a regular regime of cleanliness, something I think we can all agree on.

The outro plays to its end, and we all go home with our notions of love galvanised by such comforting words. If you happen to be with the one you love this evening, why don't you give this a little play to let her know exactly how you feel.

DJ ASSault - ASS 'N' TITTIES SONG

Comment

Working...
                    X