Future Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Islands

I don't normally plug gigs, but if they are near you and you can get a ticket, then go. Fantastic live energy vibe thing going on, even if most of the music is coming from a laptop. I managed to take part in a stage invasion on Friday.

Tickets are unfortunately hard to come by since they became a Youtube hype a couple of months ago.

Future Islands

The live dimension definitely seems to be their USP - having seen them on TV a few times the music sounds like less energetic Killers (not necessarily bad) but the singer's performance doesn't have time to build. Presumably he's very much the focus of the live experience?

Comment

Future Islands

Hmmm. I bigged up their album on here a few weeks ago. I think it's terrific. But their TV appearances make me think that a whole concert of that 'dancing' would drive me a bit nuts.

Comment

Future Islands

Must have missed your posts on that. I have been listening them to a couple of years, before I even ever saw their live performances. Their two previous albums are very good as well. They are like some kind of Joy Division band with Freddie Mercury on vocals.

He doesn't do the mad dance on all songs. Actually, he seems to have a different dance for each song.

Comment

I have only just discovered them, given that I switched my car radio listening from First Wave to XMU about a month ago. The singer has a terrific voice with tons of emotion (Roland Gift with a lot more depth, as it were). Their albums seem to all be quite different from each other as they don't like to stand still (and they seem to think that their breakthrough album of 2014 was a bit too smooth, leading to greater rawness in the last two albums). This is a terrific track:

Comment

Working...
          X