Lynsey de Paul - 1950-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sorry - and quite shocked - to learn this news (especially given that I still think of Lynsey de Paul as being around 30-odd):

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/celebrity/article4224255.ece

She wrote at least two classic pop tunes, IMO - The Fortunes' Storm in a Teacup and her own Sugar Me. My sister was more of a fan than I (owning several of her singles, including the Ivor Novello-winning Won't Somebody Dance With Me? and No, Honestly), but it all started to go off the boil a bit (to appropriate Lynsey's own 'cup of tea' obsession) when she started doing Eurovision and That's Life. (Her Tory-affiliation didn't help, either.)

RIP, though - she had talent.

RIP, though - she had talent

As well as talent, seems she had a few celeb boyfriends too. Dudley Moore, Roy Wood, Ringo Starr and James Coburn were listed in the one obit I read.

Comment

Yes, she was talented and the two songs JW cites are pop classics. Sugar Me really suited her voice.

She was a vegetarian and animal rights advocate and by all accounts very pleasant apart from the Toryism. Maybe should be on the ToriesULike thread.

In the 70s, I didn't agree with her views on men and make-up, either (Getting a Drag), no idea what her views on sexual politics were in more recent years. She spoke out on domestic violence and abuse, I think?

Comment

She did indeed - instigated her own Taking Control self-defence campaign for women, and made an award-winning TV doc to support it.

A lot of people dismissed Sugar Me as fluff, but it wasn't at all - it was a really sharp pop song. (Similarly, I think the lyrics of Getting a Drag passed a lot of folk by in 1972.)

Good to know someone else rated her, though.

Comment

'Storm In A Teacup' is terrific. Somebody I knew sat next to her on a train. Said she was a really nice person.

RIP.

Comment

i did not know she wrote storm in a teacup. Being of a certain vintage that's one of those songs that you don't think of but when its mentioned it immediately conjures childhood memories

Comment

MsD wrote: Maybe should be on the ToriesULike thread.
              Funny you say that...

Comment

Working...
              X