Do lyrics matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do lyrics matter?

Not sure I understand Amor's distinction with hip hop there, as it must be the most lyrical form there is.

Yeah, that's what I meant, but it was clumsily expressed. In general lyrics are viewed as a required element to a song but aren't given much attention, except in forms such as hip hop (or folk or country.)

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Lyrics 'matter', sure - but they aren't essential in making great pop music.

The Smiths (mentioned upthread) are an interesting example: their fanbase will always fawn over Morrissey's lyricism, but I doubt many of the mainstream pop fans who bought their singles were as bothered - to them, the band just made listenable (and marketable) guitar pop. (I know that these things are by-and-large hack work, but How Soon is Now? recently being placed among the Top 10 Riffs says something to this end.)

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

I agree with Sits: it depends on the song/band. I like My Bloody Valentine but can't understand what's being sung in most of their songs and it doesn't really matter.

In contrast, Randy Newman writes great lyrics that often play ironically off the mood of the song (sad lyrics with happy music or vice versa, etc.), producing an uneasy mix of sad/funny/shocking. They make you feel differently about the music, and are a vital part of most of his songs.

Most songs are in-between. Mediocre lyrics won't ruin great music, but great lyrics can make a great song perfect.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

One of the reasons why I still have a lingering affection for Italian prog is because I don’t understand the lyrics. The singer could be warbling “Rock ‘n’ roll woman, I’m gonna love you all night long” or some fanciful Jon Anderson style nonsense and I wouldn’t have a clue.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

If lyrics don't matter, why do they cause offence? I think the key thing about most song great non-narrative song lyrics is that they exist in isolation and are at their most power as soundbites: "Can you feel it?"; "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me"; "My smile is stuck, I cannot go back to your frownland"; "Teenage angst has paid me well, now I'm tired and old".

Narrative song lyrics are different. Chris Difford is probably my favourite lyricist and the key reason I like Squeeze. Musically, they're accomplished but it's not the kind of thing that would typically excite me.

I suppose you also have to take into account interpretation of lyrics. Frank Sinatra or Johnny Cash's ability to give life to words.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Little details in lyrics can make a big difference and make it truly memorable. An example is Tom Waits' Martha, a poignant classic, and the lyric where old Tom Frost calls old Martha after forty years:

Hello, hello there, is this Martha?

The repetition of "hello" adds something intangible but enormous. Well it does to me.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

gjw100 wrote: One of the reasons why I still have a lingering affection for Italian prog is because I don’t understand the lyrics. The singer could be warbling “Rock ‘n’ roll woman, I’m gonna love you all night long”
                Woah, woah, what;s wrong with those.

Actually, I had to double check in my I-tunes (and, indeed, my set-list) whether I had a song with lyrics like that.

Comment

Working...
                X