Do lyrics matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do lyrics matter?

When I was 16, I really cared about the meanbing of lyrics. Now I'm 47 and really enjoy words more for how they sound than what they mean. For example, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds has become more important to me since I stopped trying to work out if Lennon was talking about a children's drawing or a drug trip (it can be both or neither, I just like the diction of "newspaper taxis" and so on).

Do lyrics matter?

There are a few lyricists whose words invite closer inspection, but I think the answer is generally no.

I clearly don't take much notice, as I've misheard so many lyrics over the years. I've occasionally not noticed when songs weren't in English.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

If I can give my diminished perspective as a lyric writer, there are some brilliant lyric writers from those that you would expect - Johnny Cash, Elvis Costello, Chuck D - to some unexpectedly excellent ones - Iggy Pop, Lemmy (at times), etc. However, many probably do what I do - come up with a couple of cool lines and riff off that with lesser or greater success. Indeed, Bowie - who I think is a brilliant lyricist at times - has made much of this with his "cut and paste" technique and his lyric generating programme.

The thing about lyric writing is that it isn't poetry. I have written lyrics and I have written poetry and I think that the two have only even vaguely succeeded to conflate once or twice. The rest of the stuff is, like I say, the main idea and then cool-sounding stuff coming from there. Bowie and Pop's stuff sounds like much the same.

Indeed, lyrics, even the best ones tend to be a bit like Dylan Thomas' poetry and stories. A lot of the words just sound good especially set to the rhythm of the music and somewhat flow over you with the odd couple of lines sticking out. Very few sets of lyrics are on the button for every single line, although I expect people will provide examples, I am sure.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Of course they matter.
        They're what turn an excellent tune into a classic song.
        Sometimes they're so good they'll turn strummed acoustic guitar nothingness into works of pure thought-provoking genius. The second side of Bringing It All Back Home springs to mind immediately.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Far out Rev, you beardy old folkie.

At your recommendation I will listen to it now over lunch. Spinach falafels on couscous in a mushroom sauce, nice.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Indeed they do. And no, not at all. Lyrics in say, an old Smiths song are about 50% of why you'd listen to it.

Then again, I love Fucked Up and their lyrics are barely comprehensible without a lyric sheet. Which, at 47 too, I'd never be arsed to read. Also, foreign language stuff is great even when I don't understand a word.

So, yes, music is all about sound and meaning except when it's not.

I hope that's been helpful.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

I couldn't give a damn about lyrics for the most part. A lot of my CD collection is melodic electronica in which words play a minimal role, if at all.

But when lyrics are extremely good (e.g. Prefab Sprout, Scritti Politti, Donald Fagen), they certainly add an extra layer of excellence. Most are totally banal though.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

If a song is to have a life of more than a few weeks then lyrics are vital, and become increasingly so the longer its around. It's also important to bear in mind that lyricism includes the way words are sung, not just what they say.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Calvert wrote: Of course they matter.
                  They're what turn an excellent tune into a classic song.
                  'Orgasm Addict' is always my example of this.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Amor de Cosmos wrote: If a song is to have a life of more than a few weeks then lyrics are vital, and become increasingly so the longer its around.
                    I am not sure about that. It is only on re-purchasing a load of stuff recently that I have even been able to hear some of the lyrics clear enough to make out - or remind me - what they are. Some - see above - are refreshingly excellent while some - I am looking at you, Graham Bonnet - make me cringe with embarrassment.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

I once saw an internet no-mark describe Prefab Sprout as 'Mondeo Pop', presumably because of the effects of Thomas Dolby's production on the more chart- friendly tunes in Paddy's canon. Listening to the words, you know it's so much more than that. So whilst I love a good tune, I think they're important.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Lyrics matter very much but whether they are any good or not is almost entirely dependent upon how they work within the context of the host song.

Song lyrics tend to suffer when assessed using the tools of literary criticism, but attempting to do so is unhelpful and a vestige of the old Dylan-vs-Keats cultural cringe.

For transparency, I should declare that I'm a big fan of Bernard Sumner.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Yes, but only in that they can give more meaning to a good song, and therefore more longevity.

Plus, you might not feel so stupid singing it.

But great lyrics have very rarely saved a shit musical composition.

Most of the artists/bands I like, I tend to think of as having good lyrics. Or interesting lyrics. or lyrics in a foreign language. or no lyrics at all.

So.... no.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Sometimes.
                            Certainly, shit lyrics are a drag.

The hard truth is that, for a lot of songs I like, I really don't understand what they're singing about. Sometimes I can't even understand the words at all.

Most often, I can understand individual lines but can't make a whole picture out all of the lyrics. That's probably because so many lyrics, especially in the post-punk era, are just a collage of impressions. But, as has been mentioned, they can't stand on their own outside the context.

To give an example that we discussed on here a while ago,
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY

Imagine this as an upbeat Katy Perry song. It would take on a vastly different meaning.
                            Learning lines in the rain
                            Special effects by Loonatik and Drinks
                            The graveyard scene
                            The golden years

She's in parties
                            It's in the can [x2]

Freeze frame screen kiss
                            Hot heads under silent wigs
                            Fall guys tumble on the cutting room floor
                            Look-a-likes fall on the cutting room door

She's in parties
                            It's in the can [x2]

Learning lines in the rain
                            Special effects by Loonatik and drinks
                            Freeze frame, screen kiss, hot heads, lights and power
                            It's patently obvious

She's in parties
                            It's in the can [x2]

Hot lines under a rain of drum
                            Cigarette props in action
                            Dialogue dub, now heres the rub
                            She's acting her reaction

She's in parties
                            It's in the can
                            Of course, with any kind of traditional folk music - Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, and what not - the lyrics are everything because they were as much about trying to teach people to sing songs as they were performing and recording.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Reed John wrote:
                              Imagine this as an upbeat Katy Perry song.
                              Katy Perry ft Loonatik & Drinks

I think we've got a hit!

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

If she sees this and it happens, I want a producing credit.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

If you want to see how much bad lyrics can ruin a song, just look at Catatonia. I know Welsh is her first language but she speaks English fluently as well (and, indeed, Spanish and French) so that's no excuse.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Amor de Cosmos wrote: If a song is to have a life of more than a few weeks then lyrics are vital, and become increasingly so the longer its around...
                                    James Brown's estate are on the line, Amor. They'd like a word.

It's also important to bear in mind that lyricism includes the way words are sung, not just what they say.
                                    Ah, okay then. As you were.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Ugh! Let me hear you say... UGH!

Pure poetry.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

WATCH me!

WAH!

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

Oh, in answer to the question in the OP - I think they do, yes. But more in as much as really bad lyrics can spoil things, rather than good lyrics making or breaking a song (see the above exchange about James Brown).

I wouldn't be a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan even if Anthony Keidis wasn't such a consistently fucking dreadful lyricist, but the fact that he is makes them even easier to ignore, for me.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

I suppose the blunt answer to the question is that if lyrics didn't matter why do most songs have them?

Prior to Beatles/Dylan they weren't a necessity. In my scrofulous youth the charts were full of tunes by the Shads, Ventures, Tornadoes, Johnny and the Hurricanes, Duane Eddy and dozens more instrumentalists. Same was true in the forties and fifties when swing ruled. Nowadys they seem to be considered an expectation, or requirement, except in obviously word driven genres like hip-hop. I absolutely love a well turned verse, but if you can't write one, or don't want to, why bother?

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

James Brown was an amazing lyricist, so many of his phrases have an indelible place in most people's minds whether they realise it or not. Not sure I understand Amor's distinction with hip hop there, as it must be the most lyrical form there is.

Lyrics are important. But it's not important that they read well on the page, or that you follow them closely while listening to a song, or that you 'understand' them. That's about the size of it really, isn't it?

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

You could even take it as far as 'lyrics aren't important, until they are'; a clumsy truism, granted, but one that holds water.

As a f'rinstance: with the best will in the world, you wouldn't listen to Half Man Half Biscuit solely for the music (especially early HMHB) therefore the lyrics are the focal point.

Comment

Do lyrics matter?

I'm as undecided as the thread. Depends on the artist, the song, and how much you like them both.

There are, as has been said, often particular standout lines; seeing Bringing It All Back Home mentioned reminds me of the final lines from Love Minus Zero (No Limit):

The wind howls like a hammer
                                                  The night blows rainy
                                                  My love she's like some raven
                                                  At my window with a broken wing.

So, sometimes, a definite yes.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X