The Beautiful South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beautiful South

I don't think they were ever hip but there is genuine songcraft in there. "Carry On.." is all you need and I really like it. An "unguilty pleasure" perhaps.

The Beautiful South

I could probably think of a few more, but I need a little time to think it over.

Comment

The Beautiful South

DG to thread.
      He loves 'em.
      Almost as much as Creedence.

Their bass tech was a nice guy.
      Gave me ten packets of brand new RotoSound strings before.

Comment

The Beautiful South

Evening Reverend, glad to oblige

Heaton (singer/ lyrics) is obviously a bit of a wab (misogyny, alcoholism, invented tales of running with Sheff Utd's teenage hoolie firm). But to be fair he owns up to it all, and the three-part boy-girl harmonies are good.

Top Five

I'll sail this ship alone
        Just a few things
        Prettiest Eyes
        Tupperware queen
        Good as gold

Comment

The Beautiful South

Never really understood the appeal. Heaton and co always sounded too self-consciously knowing and smug to me - from that tiresomely-ironic name outwards.

I can think of dozens of 'whimsical' (and left-leaning) pop acts that I prefer - Scritti, Lightning Seeds, Belle & Sebastian, etc - and I wouldn't describe myself as a huge fan of any of them.

If I'm feeling really generous I might just about allow Sail This Ship Alone or You Keep It All In. But generally there just seems so little with which to engage or empathise in Beautiful South's output.

Comment

The Beautiful South

I always had time for them, having come across songs like A Little Time, Song For Whoever and Good As Gold on the radio from the age of about 14 and acquired the Carry On Up The Charts compilation a couple of years later. Several really lovely songs in their canon that undercut the (slightly tiresome) canard about their constant "irony", "cleverness", whimsy etc., too, e.g.:

I'll Sail This Ship Alone (as has been mentioned)
            Old Red Eyes Is Back
            Bell Bottomed Tear
            One Last Love Song
            Blackbird On The Wire

Comment

The Beautiful South

If they hadn't wished to have such 'tiresome' epithets applied to them, then a better choice of name might have been employed. A bit like Anal C*** complaining that they can't get gigs.

Comment

The Beautiful South

Liked the Housemartins and liked the Beautiful South. Saw a couple of gigs and they were good live. But as I've said before, shame about them letting the tin-eared drummer sing.

Comment

The Beautiful South

Hold on to What? is a fine song, also.

Comment

The Beautiful South

Random comment: but it's interesting how many wiki pages of UK personalities include which football club they support.

Comment

The Beautiful South

I Love You (But You're Boring) is a wonderfully odd yet haunting little number. The rest-nah.

Comment

The Beautiful South

They barely did anything worth listening to after Brianna Corrigan left, Jacqueline Abbott just doesn't sing well enough. But there were a handful of decent songs on their early albums.

Comment

The Beautiful South

I spent the academic year 1988-89 studying in the US, I came back for my final year at my Northern english uni, i had never heard of them before but the beautiful south were massive.

bu a curious quirk of fate, i then did a post grad at hull uni and lived on the famous grafton street in hull right opposite the housemartin house. heaton still had the house, think he also lived elsewhere.

went out for a pint with him a few times, wasnt a bad bloke to be honest

their hits were not bad, rotterdam, perfect 10, don't marry her, you keep it all in

this is my fav

Comment

The Beautiful South

This is where we miss the miserable sods who've flounced. Wyatt's hatred of Beautiful South was something to behold...

Comment

The Beautiful South

The main riff of Perfect 10 sounds like a fart.

Comment

The Beautiful South

Never liked them, like I never liked Alan Bennett. They sold more records than sort of everyone in the 90s, didn't they? That feedback loop of making boring and polite songs about being boring and polite which sort of seem to mock the boring and polite without hinting that it's possible to be any other way - who is that for? The boring and polite, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X