Unguilty pleasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unguilty pleasures

Toby Gymshorts wrote: In the 'I don't feel guilty about liking this but I possibly should' camp is this:

Junior Senior - Move Your Feet
    Oh no, it's totally brilliant. A happy song. The kind of song you'd have to like for that sensation might be DJ Otzi's version of "Hey Baby".

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

Bored of Education wrote: If it's the article I am thinking of, it is one called "Funk Soul Brother" in Mojo. I think I still have it here, actually.
      Interesting — googling that reveals this, from the 'Publicity' section of Elvis' IMDb page:
      Mojo (UK) February 1999, Iss. 63, pg. 38-47, by: Peter Guralnick, "'the funk soul brother': A decade after his heyday, Elvis Presley was reborn - as a leather-clad hellcat, an electrifying live wire, and Memphis-marinated soul-man."
      If that's the one you mean, then no, it wouldn't be the one I had in mind as I'm not sure I've ever actually bought a copy of Mojo, at least not that far back — passim the NME thread, I've only tended to buy Q by and large. Wherever it was, I think the "dieted to buggery" line I used was lifted verbatim from it, used in conjunction with describing his hair and sideburns "dyed jet-black" and the head-to-toe leather, plus it definitely used the phrase "had Elvis chosen rock, America was open for the taking" or something very similar. It's going to bug me now, trying to work out what it was from — I've just looked through my old mags and can't find it anywhere.
      The Mojo article reminds me though, I ought to revisit the pair of seminal Guralnick biographies at some point, Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley and Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley, which are possibly the last word on the man's life and I've never got around to finishing them.

I'll go and play Move Your Feet first, mind.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

We have discussed the comeback special here at some length and I still see it as Elvis seeing the gates of Hell, or Vegas, opening behind him and giving it one last bellow to show the youngsters how it was done.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

In that interview I posted above, they mention that the Colonel wasn't allowed to travel abroad because he was still technically an illegal immigrant or something like that and that's a big reason why Elvis didn't tour Europe in his later days. If he had, they would have gone apeshit for him. Maybe that would have been better than the Vegas shit.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

True Reed. He was, er, undocumented which on reflection is insane. With his money and clout he could have got his status formalized in a month rather than the minimum year it takes everyone else. I know this. I did it.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

Wiki says:

Alanna Nash would later write in The Colonel, her biography of him, that there were questions about a murder in Breda in which Van Kuijk, as he was then still known, might have been a suspect or a person of interest at least.[6] This might have motivated Parker to avoid seeking a passport, as the Netherlands has an active extradition treaty with the United States, and Parker might have wanted to avoid criminal arrest by Dutch authorities in that case.[6]
              Immigration to America

Parker returned to America at age 20, finding work with carnivals due to his previous experience in the Netherlands.[4] He enlisted in the United States Army, taking the name "Tom Parker" from the officer who interviewed him, to disguise the fact he was an illegal alien.[4]

He served two years in the 64th Regiment of the Coast Artillery at Fort Shafter in Hawaii and shortly afterwards re-enlisted at Fort Barrancas, Florida.[4] Although Parker had served honorably before, he went AWOL this time and was charged with desertion.[4] He was punished with solitary confinement, from which he emerged with a psychosis that led to two months in a mental hospital.[4] He was discharged from the Army due to his mental condition.

Austin offered Parker the opportunity to move to Nashville, Tennessee, where music was becoming big business, but for reasons unknown Parker turned him down.[9] Instead he decided to stay in Temple Terrace, Florida with his family, perhaps to avoid having to fill in paperwork that could expose his illegal status.[9] Within a year, however, he had the opportunity to become a legal citizen within the United States by way of the 1940 Alien Registration Act;[10] a bill passed by the United States Government to allow illegal aliens the chance to become US citizens in return for their promise to fight for the country during World War II, if required.[10] Parker decided against registering, possibly to prevent his previous Army record from becoming public.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

The Mojo article reminds me though, I ought to revisit the pair of seminal Guralnick biographies at some point, Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley and Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley, which are possibly the last word on the man's life and I've never got around to finishing them.
                I must read them in the first place as Harry Truscott gave me them ages ago.

They may be the last word on Elvis' life but this

is the best book.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

Christ, I must have stopped reading them a good deal earlier than I thought I had, because until right now I never knew the Colonel was Dutch and an illegal immigrant, in fact had never got around to reading anything about him to learn more than just the caricature of a Svengali figure. Bloody hell. Maybe that does explain a lot about why Elvis never toured abroad, despite the undoubtedly huge market that was out there for him.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

If past the age of 30 the concept of guilty pleasure still resonates with you beyond things like sex with underage girls, you have a problem.

Comment

Unguilty pleasures

I absolutely adore that Martin Solveig & Dragonette song, "Hello."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK42LZqO0wA

Not my usual sort of music, but bloody hell I think it's a tremendous pop song.

Comment

Working...
                      X