Songs that properly make you happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Days. Kirsty McColl or the original by the Kinks, I don't mind.
    It was covered on Radio 4's Soul Music recently.
    Link here.
    Luke Kelly did a cracking version as well, just before he died.

Comment

Rudie can't fail and Bankrobber- The Clash.

Skinhead Girl- Symarip

Swords of a thousand men- Tenpole Tudor.

Anything from the Lexicon of Love- ABC

Liberty Belle - Fontaines DC

Don't talk to me about love - Altered Images

Georgie Girl- The Seekers

Comment

Georgie Girl, that’s an excellent shout. Always puts a smile on my face.

Yesterday after bumping this thread I put on a Spotify playlist called “Gerard Love” which someone’s kindly put together. It contains pretty much all his Teenage Fanclub songs*, plus a couple of Pastels tracks and his solo work as Lighthouses. Anyway, a song was fading and I thought “wouldn’t it be great if Sparky’s Dream was next?” And there was the intro. Tingles down the spine, get the fuck in!

This may have just nosed in front of Stoned Love as my favourite song (both already upthread):

*so basically almost all of my favourite TF tracks

Comment

Beck - Sexx Laws (Live on the Tonight Show)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECICIjZlBLk

The Damned - Disco Man
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeyF1i5qqM

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            9 to 5
            Which song PT, Dolly's or Sheena's?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              Which song PT, Dolly's or Sheena's?
              Always Dolly. She's amazing.

Comment

Her Wildflowers is a beautiful song.

Comment

Bluegreens on the Wing — William Truckaway

Comment

It may already be here, but, Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free:

Comment

A quick check of my laptop hard drive confirmed that I have over 50 different versions of Herbie Hancock's 'Maiden Voyage' (a dozen or so by Herbie himself) but the original remains the best and is for me the epitome of cool 60's jazz. Those opening piano chords never fail to tingle the spine. Featuring one of Freddie Hubbard's best recorded performances.

Comment

Comment

Another vote for Rivers of Babylon - original Jamaican version by The Melodians is especially gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57brp0HGDA
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-03-2020, 12:09.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                            Swords of a thousand men- Tenpole Tudor.
                            This won't help. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQgY...4mAOP3wUb2FvOs

Comment

This for some reason.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E0&FORM=VDRVRV

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                Bloody hell!

Comment

Charles Mingus - II B.S.
                                  Orange Juice - Simply Thrilled Honey
                                  Boney M - Daddy Cool
                                  Acker Bilk - The Harem
                                  King Missile - Up Your Ass

At the 1995 EU summit in Cannes, I silenced a gathering of journalists with an extended late-night rant about why The Cure's 'Fridays I'm In Love' epitomised everything that was wrong with pop music. There was an open bar. It wasn't that they were impressed with my rhetoric, just that they were wondering why the fuck anyone could get so impassioned about a crappy indie-pop song. Still annoys me any time I hear it, and it's the sort of lazy shite that German radio's still playing regularly 25 years later.

Comment

I can’t think of any other Cure song which sounds as though it was written for US mainstream radio.

Comment

I suspect even Smith himself thinks it's a bit shit.
                                      But it does seem like him saying "look, I can even do commercial indie-pop better than you jokers."
                                      It's not a patch on their other poppy stuff like In Between Days or Just like Heaven.

Comment

I was surprised at how 'by-numbers' FIIL was on its release, but Bob Smith had had more than a sniff of the chart-compiler's apron by then. He'd cracked the US (and elsewhere) big-time by that stage.

For my money, the last good Cure single was probably Never Enough from a couple of years before - but I'd not castigate them especially for FIIL. It's not offensive, and they'd done pop before. (I can remember John Peel absolutely laying into The Lovecats back in 1983...)
                                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 27-03-2020, 10:15.

Comment

Dictators - Stay with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujgSWe_cww

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                            A quick check of my laptop hard drive confirmed that I have over 50 different versions of Herbie Hancock's 'Maiden Voyage' (a dozen or so by Herbie himself) but the original remains the best and is for me the epitome of cool 60's jazz. Those opening piano chords never fail to tingle the spine. Featuring one of Freddie Hubbard's best recorded performances.
                                            Thanks for that - what a glorious piece of music.

Comment

Well this certainly lifted my spirits this morning...

Comment

Rosie, come out tonight!

Bruce Springsteen (bursting with energy) - Rosalita:

Comment

Starbuck - Moonlight Feels Right

Comment

This is a good thread for these times.

I agree with multiple songs posted in here since 2014 and would add this one:

The Monkees, "Take the Last Train to Clarksville"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X