Ladytron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladytron

'Black Cat', the opening track from their forthcoming album 'Velocifero', is now on their Myspace page.

It kind of does the job, without being exceptional.

The album cover:

Ladytron

Haven't heard the track yet (I think) but that cover is disgusting!

Comment

Ladytron

God, that is vile. Is it, you know, ironic, do you think?

Comment

Ladytron

I really like Ladytron, but "Black Cat" sucks. Hopefully that's not the best track on the album and something like Blur's "Girl and Boys", a lowest common denominator hit on a pretty good album.

"Black Cat" seems somewhat inspired by Broadcast's song with the same name, and it's another one of those drony flat electronica songs that seem to be based on the concept of Mira's Bulgarian lyrics being cool, as seen in "Fighting in Built Up Areas".

Comment

Ladytron

Eww that cover is rotten. Especially compared to the last one.

Black Cat track does nothing for me. Ladytron are like the Star Trek Movies. Loved their First LP, second was very patchy. Third (Witching Hour) great and maybe fourth....not so great.

I mean obviously the other way round to the Star Treks but you get my drift

Comment

Ladytron

I don't mind that cover. I thought the last one for Witching Hour was slightly odd given the actual music. Don't mind that track either...will reserve futher judgement until I can hear the whole thing.

When is it out?

Comment

Ladytron

The album's out in June.

"Black Cat" is indeed just another "Fighting In Built Up Areas" (which I love, by the way), i.e. an excuse for Mira to speak some Bulgarian over some noise. It's not going to be the single.

I can't wait to hear this. I'm more excited about the new Ladytron than I've been about any other album for a long long time.

Comment

Ladytron

Slightly underwhelming as 'Black Cat' is, I'm not that bothered. 'Light and Magic' takes a few tracks to get into its stride and it's their best album.

Comment

Ladytron

I've nothing against the cover artwork either. As far as I'm concerned, it introduces its contents quite well.

Comment

Ladytron

The London gig is in a little over a month now, I think. Will I be seeing any of you there?

Comment

Ladytron

Oh, I think I might wander along.

Comment

Ladytron

I am listening to Velocifero as we speak. Oh my, it's rather good.

Comment

Ladytron

I'm on my second listen, and one of the songs seems to be going on about "stateless Jews".

Comment

Ladytron

I'm really looking forward to hearing the album. Is the 'stateless Jews' track a Mira song? She is Jewish.

Comment

Ladytron

You know, there's always a chance that I'm mishearing it.

When I was a kid, a mate of mine thought that the Sex Pistols' "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone" had a bit that went "You won't find me in your fridge of Jews!"

Comment

Ladytron

Velocifero has leaked.

SR is right. Who was I to ever doubt them? First listen as I type. I'm up to Runaway. This is damned good stuff. Not as clean and clinical sounding as Witching Hour. Harking back to 604 a little I reckon which isn't a bad thing. I've got a feeling this'll grow on me a lot.

Comment

Ladytron

Track 6 "Burning up" is a monster, by the way.

Comment

Ladytron

Impressions on the first listen:

"Burning Up" sounds really good, passes the first listen test with flying colors. Cold dark tone with plenty of bright sparkles. Good stuff, the kind of song that will compell you to put your scotch down and sift through the crowd onto the dance floor.

http://hypem.com/search/ladytron/1/

The blog I've originally linked (a horrible music blog, with crap like Mariah Carey and Lindsey Lohan) has pulled the Burning Up mp3 (that was fast), but you can still hear it on this Hype link above.

"The Lovers" is not very good, it sounds like a weaker take on the excellent "Jet Age".

"I'm Not Scared" sounds very good though, it has that nice Ladytron bridge leading to their trademark beautiful melodic vocal inflections.

"Season of Illusions" is a piece where unaltered vocals dominate with backup vocals bridges, giving it has a vague early 80s Strawberry Switchblade or Siouxie feel.

"Ghosts" has more of a end-of-the-80s shoegazer gloss cut with a slower beat, building up with fuzzy guitar and dreamy drawn out vocals, but much like for "Seasons of Illusions", the song and melody carrying all this aren't strong enough to pull it off.

My early verdict after listenting to half the songs on Velocifero is that it clearly is not their best CD, but it is one that Ladytron fans will enjoy.

Comment

Ladytron

I'm listening to it at work now. Who's the guest vocalist on the last track?

Comment

Ladytron

Having listened to Velocifero a few times now, I can't do much more that agree with linus' comments. The band seem to be on autopilot for too much of the album, making a sound that doesn't vary a great deal from track to track. The analogue synths hum and scream in a very stentorian fashion, and the rhythms thud away uncompromisingly, but the problem is that too often, everything is cranked up and the songs don't have any space. Which is why my favourite track is the stripped-down 'Predict the Day', although even that suffers from an overwrought crescendo of electric guitar riffs at the end.

Still, even Ladytron on autopilot are ahead of the pack, and despite its shortcomings, the album's a thing to be enjoyed.

Verdict: Absorbing.

Comment

Ladytron

I was thinking of wandering along meself. Possibly with Wyattetta.

The cover is partly a Revolver hommage, no?

Comment

Ladytron

And another thing (I am honestly not trying to bash the 'Tron, despite appearances to the contrary) - I know they're all about aloof, sophisticated gothic chic these days, but what happened to the playful sense of humour the displayed on early tracks like Paco! and Commodore Rock? I really enjoyed that. I mean, there's a thin line between aloof and po-faced.

Oh, and an ancillary question: what was the name of the genre that spawned trashy, cut n' sample tracks like Commodore Rock? I'm sure bands like Ladytron and Add N To (X) were lumped under the same monicker.

Comment

Ladytron

So...

SR - fancy meeting up for a pre-gig drink tomorrow, or are you already all booked up? No worries if not - I'll only be in town from about 7:30 anyway and I quite fancy catching Datarock too. (I presume they're still the support act? Are there any others on the bill tomorrow, d'ya know?)

Anyhow, either PM or text me if you're up for it, old chap.

Mumpo - are you talking about 8-bit/'chipstyle', by any chance? If so, I can furnish you with a ton of that kind of stuff. If you're not, then I'm slightly confused! Is there another electropop subgenre that has passed me by?

Comment

Ladytron

Yeah, Clive, I was thinking that was it, but some foggy recess of my mind was telling me it went by another name in some quarters.

Comment

Ladytron

evilC wrote:
                                                  So...

SR - fancy meeting up for a pre-gig drink tomorrow, or are you already all booked up? No worries if not - I'll only be in town from about 7:30 anyway and I quite fancy catching Datarock too. (I presume they're still the support act? Are there any others on the bill tomorrow, d'ya know?)

Anyhow, either PM or text me if you're up for it, old chap.
                                                  Well, I was originally toying with the idea of joining tomorrow night's OTFathon (see World), but it's being held in some sort of German beer festival in Vauxhall, which is far out of my way (both culturally and geographically), so instead I think I'm just going to roll up shortly before 'Tron time with Mrs Rhino in tow. (Come and say hello if you see us. I'm sure you'll be able to spot me in the crowd...)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X