Tone Loc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tone Loc

One of the great hip hop two hit wonders.

Wild Thing - crikey, this gadge was even sampling videos.

Funky Cold Medina - Love Potion #9 for the hip hop MTV crossover direction.

Did he have another track that should be known?

Tone Loc

I might try and pick it up for pennies.

Looking at his wiki page, looks like he may be a bit of a shit, and not a well man.

Comment

Tone Loc

SW2: That first link makes me think that Salt'n'Pepa had some help.

That second link floored me. WHATAFUCKING BASS

(Small white forgetful guy. And I am sat next to him)

Comment

Tone Loc

Somewhere in this world, there is a mix of Kylie and Tone Loc...

You know it's true.

Comment

Tone Loc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLNkaW2dPA

You bet your life there is.

Comment

Tone Loc

THREAD HIJACK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

Comment

Tone Loc

That's great fun, Gero. That chair looks a bit uncomfortable with so few clothes on, though.

So - rehijack, more of hip hop's greatest two hit wonders.

Naughty by Nature - O.P.P., absolute pop genius.

And Hip Hop Hooray - an even better groove.

And we have Naughty by Nature to thank for this -
              You Down With MTV - I've got a head full of Downtown Julie Brown. Man those clubland reports - 'cho know what, I've chust been down the chown - it's chocka.'

Luke - you could be the kind of guy who has an mp3 of that, 'cos the link there is a bit rubbish of off somebody's old VHS...

Comment

Tone Loc

No I dont have a copy, I'll have a wee hunt for you.

As for Gero's pondering Salt N' Pepa having some help, it's more the other way around I think as Push It (I assume that's what was meant) was a couple of years earlier.

I was never the biggest fan of NbN and those two are certainly their biggest hits, but like most Hip Hop acts, their success is judged on other factors than their showing in the pop charts. Original member Kay-Gee is a fairly well known and respected producer of Hip Hop/R'n'B. Treach too is a well respected rapper and (making some rap connections here) was married to Pepa from Salt N'Pepa!

Never was a fan of that incarnation of C&C Music Factory either. As a rapper that Freedom Williams done zilch for me. Though I do like a couple of tunes from their later LP - Do You Wanna Get Funky (featuring Weather Girl Martha Wash and raps from the great Nice & Smooth - who dont appear in the video, dunno who that mook pretending to rap is), and absolutely adored stuff like Pride (A Deeper Love) and a smattering of remixes Clivillés & Cole (RIP) done like this unbelievably epic one for Whitney(including the Let No Man Put Asunder bassline) and this one for Mariah (this tune got me a pointless on Pointless t'other day too).

Trying to find the campest, kitchyest, gayest Hip-Hop mash up now. Always thought Mo' Money, Mo Problems was a great pop record. That brilliant flip of I'm Coming Out makes it. Typical puffed up overblown silly video from p.diddy though.

Do people still dance in pop videos now?, do people make pop videos?. Even the most hardcore of rap records used to have folk dancing in their videos. There was a point when that stopped being a thing.

Comment

Tone Loc

TANGENT ALERT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzr46sH2QP4

Martha Wash doing what she does before Black Box got their mits on it. (May not be Black Box.)

Question? Does anyone know the name of the song that contains the line/refrain "The moooon and the stars...."

Thanks. Earworm of the wurst kind x

Comment

Tone Loc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TMH_jHG9yw

If only, this was live... Black Box would be rulers of the world.

Comment

Tone Loc

Excuse me, I have said this before, but indulge me.

The day at Pride in London, when NOMAD came on the stage, and played live, well me and the mates were pissing ourselves (and hadn't come up yet), and then they played 'Devotion', and we all hit it at the same time.

AND I saw C&C Music Factory on the same fucking day. (And some scouse girl called Sonia.

That was a fucking DAY.

Oh, and have some of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45BtoJpoks

Comment

Tone Loc

Apologies for the last video. I was 25. It took me back.

Comment

Tone Loc

First one to put on 'Bad Young Brother', wins.

Meantime, here is one that had me pissing in my pants, because I couldnt believe the insanity, therein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XHxWdZLsQw

Comment

Tone Loc

António Araújo wrote:
                            Question? Does anyone know the name of the song that contains the line/refrain "The moooon and the stars...."
                            Way Out West - The Gift

Comment

Tone Loc

António Araújo wrote: TANGENT ALERT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzr46sH2QP4

Martha Wash doing what she does before Black Box got their mits on it. (May not be Black Box.)

Although Vicarious got there first as I was writing and youtubing, writing and youtubing. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is where the lyric is from. You probably mean The Gift from Way Out West (from Bristol no less), they used a part of the Joanna Law version of it for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDCh3qW-U4 at least I think they did, they might have got her in to re-do it. Doubt it though.

I think MC Mikee Freedom (Nomad - Devotion) was from Bristol too.

As for Black Box.. 3 or 4 brilliant Italo House pop classics. I'll still take the original Love Sensation over it though, this is my favourite remix of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQvR5OE8so

Comment

Tone Loc

Luke R wrote: Although Vicarious got there first as I was writing and youtubing, writing and youtubing. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is where the lyric is from.
                                Thanks for that Luke - I found the original on Spotify just now.

Comment

Tone Loc

Thanks Luke, not that one. I am thinking a little more 'chillout'

And a lady (possibly from Bristol) singing, 'The Moon and the stars'.

Thats all I have.

Comment

Tone Loc

(Apparently, it was originally a Joni Mitchell thing? Fucking hell, I hate her)

Comment

Tone Loc

No, it wasn't.

Comment

Tone Loc

Ok, I was just looking for an ambient version of it but to no avail. Your description definitely rings a bell though. It might have been on a mix, in some kind of set.

The first time I ever heard The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face was on All Directions by The Temptations. I think I've been slowly falling out of love with it since. The mix of those lyrics professing love but at that dirgey pace.. pass the bucket

Comment

Tone Loc

Best guess: something like, BUT NOT, chase and status for the early/ mid 90's

Comment

Tone Loc

and definitely not, Chase and Status. Whomsoever they might be.

And not St Ettienne, although SHE may have been invited.

And not Dubstar.

Comment

Tone Loc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHp8Cc3wBY

Comment

Tone Loc

although, that was splendid.

Comment

Tone Loc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGsiM-8hiE

Comment

Working...
                                                  X