Motorhead slow numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorhead slow numbers

Speed metal isn't my thing really, and I've hardly heard any Motorhead since my teenage years over 30 years ago when I used to play "Overkill".

But I was pretty bowled over recently by the song "One More Fucking Time" from the album "We are Motorhead". Have they done anything else like that? I can't really face trawling through 30 years of speed metal output to check whether they have or not.

Motorhead slow numbers

You think Motörhead are speed metal?

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

I find that kind of categorisation quibble boring as fuck, but for what it was worth I based that comment on (a) most of the Motorhead songs I know being very fast paced, wall-of-noise type stuff and (b) the fact that "speed metal" is one of the genres listed in the right hand box on their Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mot%C3%B6rhead

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

As you were into "Overkill", I am assuming you are into stuff like "Metropolis" and "Capricorn" and, off the top of my head, songs like that are "Just Because you got the power doesn't mean you've got the right" and, to an extent, "Orgasmatron". They have done other slower stuff that if slightly different like "Whorehouse Blues" which is bluesy and acoustic (and not that good in all honesty) and "Love Me Forever" which was their first ballad.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

This is a cool spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbLHJdhayc

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

I wouldn't even say that Motörhead were 'metal', let alone 'speed metal'.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Second-wave ska?

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Post-clownstep, every day of the week.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

They play both types of music - rock and roll.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

"Dancing on your grave" is a great song as well.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Jair Womble wrote: I wouldn't even say that Motörhead were 'metal', let alone 'speed metal'.
                      Yeah, they're positively sluggish compared to some.

But hey, if Wikipedia says they are then they must be.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

They're one of those bands whose fans would frighten you off them. Over here, anyway.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

How come?

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Prototypical biker band, I guess. Like Lynyrd Skynyrd, but with Nazi regalia instead of Confederate flags.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Nazi Regalia? Really?
                              I know Lemmy has a penchant for WWII memorabilia but there's nothing really scary going on there.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Canadians are scared of men in leather jackets.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

I'm afraid of mooses
                                  And Mounties.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Two of my favorite Motorhead songs are Limb From Limb and Stone Dead Forever. Both are longish, start slow then rip into a glorious, noisy jam for the last couple of minutes.

I've never felt anything but camaraderie at a Motorhead gig. They are still a bit of a cult band who (other than at a festival or major city) usually play at smaller venues. Anyone bothering to show up are almost all loyal fans or younger ones curious and excited to see this very influential band.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Always loved a bit of Motorhead, despite their 'old-fashione' rock n roll attitude to things. 'Killed By Death' is great and as far as slower numbers go their WW1 song is quite emotional.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

Calvert wrote: I'm afraid of mooses
                                        And Mounties.
                                        Good. Both'll kill you and get away with it.

As I say, their fans here are a different breed. I could probably get away with wearing a Motorhead t-shirt, but then I'd look like an ironic hipster. Or one of those people who wears a CBGC (OMFUG) t-shirt without knowing what the letters mean. And I won't do that.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

As well as the originals mentioned above, some of Motörhead's covers showcase their slower side : 'Louie Louie', 'Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers' and 'Hoochie Coochie Man' springing most readily to mind.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

axel wrote: Always loved a bit of Motorhead, despite their 'old-fashione' rock n roll attitude to things. 'Killed By Death' is great and as far as slower numbers go their WW1 song is quite emotional.
                                            '1916'? I haven't listened to that in ages. It was the last Motörhead album I really took any interest in, to be honest (and it is 23 years old, ferrchrissakes!), must dig it out again.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

As I say, their fans here are a different breed.
                                              I doubt they're much different from Motörhead / rock fans anywhere.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

If we are talking generally about Motörhead, they are, of course, the greatest rock'n'roll band ever and, even now, are very enjoyable live.

Comment

Motorhead slow numbers

I know a couple of Damned fans who expressed some disdain for the behaviour of Motorhead fans when the two bands toured on the same bill a few years back.

Must be pretty impressively deranged to offend the sensibilities of a Damned audience.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X