Greatest Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest Hits

The purists may scoff with disdain, but 'greatest hits' are a great way of getting into classical music.

Comment

Greatest Hits

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
      Originally posted by Selected Ambient Works 85-92
      Nick Lowe has done at least two excellent albums. Jesus Of Cool and At My Age.
      But you can't beat 'Basher'- probably my favourite 'Best Of'.
      The three albums that make up The Brentford Trilogy are ace, Nick Lowe has no place here.

Comment

Greatest Hits

George wrote: The link for the Hot Chocolate best of doesn't work but is it the one with the red border and Errol standing by himself after jettisoning the rest of the band? If so then it's a common record. Not too sure if it contains the full version of 'Mindless Boogie' though, which must be the most bizarre thing they ever recorded.
        Ah sorry George, the end of the address seems to be got mislaid from that link; this should be the page instead. It's not the one you're thinking of, anyway, so far as I know, as the cover is plain red with gold writing, though Errol is by himself on the front of the 1996 14 Greatest Hits and 2004's The Essential, admittedly minus any red borders in either case. No sightings of Mindless Boogie, either. Further research reveals there's a companion set to Their Greatest Hits, The Rest Of The Best Of, which does have a 4m 17s version of the song on it — does that sound like full length?

Jair Womble wrote:
        Edit: All this talk of the Sex Pistols makes me think of the occasional serendipitous joy that comes from my alphabetically arranged collection throwing up the most unlikely bedfellows — Never MInd The Bollocks falls smack in between Shed Seven and Sigur Rós, or, including classical CDs, Sibelius, which I think may be the best juxtaposition of the lot.
        I think you need to revise your alphabet.
        Hah, you're right Jah, I was talking out my arse there — I've just had to check that I didn't have them that way round after all! I meant of course Sex Pistols–Shed Seven–[Sibelius]-Sigur Rós — though, muddying the waters further, Howard Shore comes after 'Shed' if we include soundtracks in 'classical', which is a bit of a grey area I reckon.

Speaking of Orbison, I've got the Traveling Wilburys collection that isn't actually a best-of but includes both of their full albums, Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 (hah), which are each really worth a listen, although the Big O is only on the former sadly.

Comment

Working...
        X