Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Enough Rope

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Your Usual Table; 03-11-2021, 13:09.

Just Enough Rope

I remember a Joe Dolan interview from years ago in which he remarked: "I'm very popular in Israel because of my big nose."

Of course, this being the Irish showband scene in the 1980s, nobody gave a flying fuck and Joe lived to croon another day, though not indefinitely.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Joe was more MOR than country. Indeed, I often quipped good-naturedly to myself that his best song should have been retitled More And MOR.

He gave another notorious interview in the 1990s where he reflected on his bust-up with an airline pilot on board a flight. "He was another gobshite, who hanged himself, funnily enough, a few years back," mused Joe. That one ended up in court with the pilot's family suing for damages. I can't remember how it played out in the end.

Joe was an avuncular sort but he had some very, very weird shit in his cupboard.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Apparently, my guitarist (who is non-metal, let alone non-Pantera-liking) saw a recent interview with Anselmo where he spoke very eruditely at a school about his drug addiction and, I think, racism. Anselmo was, no doubt, spewing a lot of White Power shit back then and it is arguable whether this was sincere or the babblings of a junkie psyche.

Not having heard him recently, I am not sure what he says about it but must check out the school interview. My guitarist was very impressed by him. As it is, Pantera nestle along Gary Glitter on my I-pod as "Music I like by artists I no longer do"

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Clothes are not the issue

Yeah, neither is copping out by not condemning the meatheads shouting 'white power' at your shows.

Fucking twats
          Keep shooting at them.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

"I'd LOVE to have great big flaming swastikas onstage just for the fuck of it,”

Comment

Just Enough Rope

It looks like Kula Shaker are close to selling out the Roundhouse (cap. 3,300) for their comeback show later this month. The public had a chance to show indifference on the grand scale that customarily greets Bob Geldof's solo outings, but it is not to be.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Benjm wrote: It looks like Kula Shaker are close to selling out the Roundhouse (cap. 3,300) for their comeback show later this month. The public had a chance to show indifference on the grand scale that customarily greets Bob Geldof's solo outings, but it is not to be.
                I once saw Kula Shaker in concert by accident. Easy to take the piss out of, but they were a very tight live band.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Hahahaha

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                    Originally posted by Benjm
                    It looks like Kula Shaker are close to selling out the Roundhouse (cap. 3,300) for their comeback show later this month. The public had a chance to show indifference on the grand scale that customarily greets Bob Geldof's solo outings, but it is not to be.
                    I once saw Kula Shaker in concert by accident. Easy to take the piss out of, but they were a very tight live band.
                    They rocked – like a chair.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: Joe was more MOR than country. Indeed, I often quipped good-naturedly to myself that his best song should have been retitled More And MOR.

He gave another notorious interview in the 1990s where he reflected on his bust-up with an airline pilot on board a flight. "He was another gobshite, who hanged himself, funnily enough, a few years back," mused Joe. That one ended up in court with the pilot's family suing for damages. I can't remember how it played out in the end.

Joe was an avuncular sort but he had some very, very weird shit in his cupboard.
                      He was big in South Africa in the early '80s, beloved by people who had hairstyles and polyester suits just like him.

Comment

Just Enough Rope

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote:
                        Originally posted by Bored of Education
                        Anselmo was, no doubt, spewing a lot of White Power shit back then and it is arguable whether this was sincere or the babblings of a junkie psyche.
                        Guess that answers that.
                        Indeed, I meant to post that. Robb Flynn is especially impressive, not because he is saying something that isn't being said but because he is, I assume still, a fairly popular metal musician speaking out. Shit band though.

As it goes, there have been some comments around this that suggest that the remaining members of Pantera have nothing to do with Anselmo.

Comment

Working...
                        X