Nils Lofgren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nils Lofgren

So, one of this chap's tunes popped into my head this morning (it was Flip) and I was trying to think how much (and little) I remember:

He's Swedish
    He's in Bruce's band
    He joined when Steve van Zandt left, but stayed when he returned
    He had a brief period of medium popularity in the Born in the USA era (Secrets in the Street was a hit)
    We had the album Flip and a tape of another one. They were not bad. He's pretty mainstream, but nice
    So nice, The Boss pinched Patti Scialfa off him, and he stayed in the band (if I have it correctly)
    we were interested enough to go to the Hammersmith Odeon to see him some time in the 80s

I will seek out a Best Of.

Anyone keen? Care?

Nils Lofgren

Whenever Bruce does the spotlight-sharing thing and everyone in the band sings a few lines, Nils is top notch. Sings like an angel. That said, we've never bothered to seek out a thing he's done.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

I always get him mixed up with Todd Rundgren.

Which makes precisely no sense.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Well they are both a bit Scandanavian sounding.

Both the 'Nils Lofgren' and 'Cry Tough' albums were well received by the likes of the NME in the early seventies - as were Lofgren's earlier Grin albums - but they are not much to write home about really.

Todd Rundgren has got a lot more to offer.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

He had a brief period of medium popularity in the Born in the USA era (Secrets in the Street was a hit)

He was somewhat more popular in the early 70s, in his immediate post-Neil Young period. Grin was a highly rated album back then, and he was thought to be a real comer. It kind of petered out for him though. Liked more by critics than audiences I think.

[cross-post with Tony]

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Patti Scialfa on the other hand; I'd spend good money to not listen to her sing for an evening. Or an album, for that matter.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

I was very excited when Lofgren joined the E-Street Band because I had followed his career for a while.

A few years ago I listened to his late '70s/early '80s output again. Not all of it stood up well. "Shine Silently" is still a very good song though.

He's not Swedish, by the way. His father is, but Nils was born in Chicago. His mother was Italian.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

I saw him and his band play 3 gigs at a local pub* about 10 years ago. I can understand how his distinctive voice might not be to everyone's taste, but they were excellent gigs.

* The Brook in Southampton for those who may know it. His tour bus was almost the same size as the venue.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Does he still do a spot of trampolining in his act? And a bit of show-off accordion? He was some class of child accordion prodigy.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Lofgren was fantastic last night. Even the old whirling dervish trick came out on Because the Night. A line-up with him, Van Zandt and Morello taking it in turns to outplay each other is serious guitar heaven. Springsteen is no slouch himself of course.

Not sure there's ever been a better collective guitar line-up in one band.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Ah, the show has moved to Australia now? They were in South Africa last week.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Yes, in Perth. Have tickets for Saturday night then got lucky with a last minute check and nabbed row c seats for last night as well.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

I always get him mixed up with Todd Rundgren.

Which makes precisely no sense.
                          Well, there's the '-gren' suffix to the name, I guess.

A cousin of mine was obsessed with this guy when we were growing up. Never fully got it myself.

Comment

Nils Lofgren

Well both -gren suffixed contemporaries noodle around with the guitar. They all look the same after a while.

I never got the Rundgren devotion either, through his guitar solo on "Bat Out Of Hell" that begins like a starting motorbike is quite impressive.

Comment

He's not been terribly well of late, hope he recovers. Meantime, there is this. I think he's a fine guitarist. He's got a huge US tour coming up in May.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-horse-813235/
                              Last edited by MsD; 04-04-2019, 11:46.

Comment

I also remember Nils Lofgren for being a devotee of Keith Richards although he expressed it in funny ways.
                                Firstly with a song called "Keith, Don't Go" where he urged his hero to stay away from the U.S. and Canada so he wouldn't get busted again
                                (as opposed to sorting out his drug habit) and then by recording a cover 0f "Happy" from Exile on Main Street and getting the words wrong.

Comment

I too hope he's OK, couldn't find anything on unwellness on a quick search which I'll take a positive.

Comment

Contributed 'Anytime At All" to an album of Lennon covers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXZxdfhOCOs

Comment

Working...
                                    X