Perfection in feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfection in feedback

When feedback puts the cherry on top of a great song. The intro to I Feel Fine would be a good example but this is a particular favourite of mine. At around 2:30:

Every last use of feedback since I Feel Fine has just been lame plagiarism and obstreperous posturing.

I've never listened to the Lou Reed double album of feedback, and maybe it's pure art, but my ears are knackered enough as it is.

Comment

I expect it’s just Reed customarily being a cunt

Comment

No love for the Mary Chain, imp?

Comment

Absolute nonsense. Prior to the JAMC - who used it brilliantly instead of a drone - you’d had Link Wray, Hendrix, The Monks, Neil Young, Bowie, etc, all using feedback to great effect. And those are just the ‘names’…

Comment

Lou Reed made Metal Machine Music as a fuck-you to his record company rather than as any kind of artistic statement.

My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth spring to mind as excellent feedback exponents. See also Mercury Rev's debut album Yerself Is Steam.

Comment

(Big nod to all those.)

Comment

Any 'effect' is fine if used sparingly. Not a strong suit of JAMC.

Comment

When Dutch intercity trains set off from the station, they make a noise better than the feedback on I feel fine.

https://youtu.be/gCkLXpWxl_c?si=rVWNDn76xFIIvLSP

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    Any 'effect' is fine if used sparingly. Not a strong suit of JAMC.
                    They’d pretty much stopped using it by the second album. How sparing should they have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      They’d pretty much stopped using it by the second album. How sparing should they have been?
                      Sorry...was lazily referring to Psychocandy, which is probably a great album ... buried under 30 feet of needless fuzz.

(I realize I'm alone in this opinion.)

Comment

JAMC did kind of use it as an effect, but many have used it as a palette.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Absolute nonsense. Prior to the JAMC - who used it brilliantly instead of a drone - you’d had Link Wray, Hendrix, The Monks, Neil Young, Bowie, etc, all using feedback to great effect. And those are just the ‘names’…
                          Yeah, but this is the internet and I've Taken A Stance, so I'm not budging just because I'm wrong or something.

Comment

I love the use of feedback on Sweetness Follows by R.E.M. Possibly my favourite song by them.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Yeah, but this is the internet and I've Taken A Stance, so I'm not budging just because I'm wrong or something.
                              You stick to your guns, mate.

Comment

Well someone has to include this so it might as well be me.

Comment

50 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dcCAc-knjI

Comment

And an early work from OTF's favourite political-right-on guitarist Ted Nugent.

Comment

How come The Who haven't been mentioned yet?

Comment

https://youtu.be/ZJGySuaR8-I?si=JWVA2YsJ7hNKd5yO

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          How come The Who haven't been mentioned yet?
                                          Look three posts above yours...

Comment

I bet no-one clicks on my link. It’s the Feedback Song from Rema Rema with Marco on guitar, and he is a master of feedback, credit where due.

The 2 Wolfmen albums are full of it.

My personal other favourites include Ronno on Let’s Spend the Night Together and Panic in Detroit, and the JAMC on Psychocandy. Also David Roback on a few things including Wasted by Mazzy Star.

Comment

Frank Zappa - Filthy Habits

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                I bet no-one clicks on my link. It’s the Feedback Song from Rema Rema with Marco on guitar, and he is a master of feedback, credit where due.

The 2 Wolfmen albums are full of it.

My personal other favourites include Ronno on Let’s Spend the Night Together and Panic in Detroit, and the JAMC on Psychocandy. Also David Roback on a few things including Wasted by Mazzy Star.
                                                I clicked on it. Quite liked it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  And an early work from OTF's favourite political-right-on guitarist Ted Nugent.

I had no idea that The Amboy Dukes once featured a young Jilted John (bottom right)…

Comment

Working...
                                                  X