No announcement yet.

It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today in the year of my birth, Irene Cara slides 4 places to 10 with Fame, while Haircut 100 are Nobody's Fool, climbing 1 to 9. Alarmingly, Toto Coelo declare I Eat Cannibals at 8, while Rocker's Revenge soar a massive 12 spots to 7 with Walking On Sunshine. Boystown Gang tumble 2 to 6 with Can't Take My Eyes Off You, while the Kids From Fame ascend two to 5 with Hi Fidelity. Soft Cell ask What, as they slip one to 4, while Birmingham boys Duran Duran inch up one place to 3 with Save A Prayer. Dexy's Midnight Runners fall from the top to 2 with Come On Eileen, and are replaced at 1 by Survivor's Eye of The Tiger.

Comment

Comment

Do I dislike Come On Eileen in its merits or just the forty years of inescapability? It's hard to call. That some people love Dexy's to the Roxy Music/Joy Division/Kraftwerk, etc.... degree completely passes me by.

I watch the Rocky-goes-soft montage at the start of Rocky III pretty much every time ITV3/4 shows the film. Which is about once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
          Do I dislike Come On Eileen in its merits or just the forty years of inescapability? It's hard to call.
          It was no. 1 when I was born. I don't know whether that fact has had an impact regarding my wildly oscillating opinions of the song.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

It was no. 1 when I was born. I don't know whether that fact has had an impact regarding my wildly oscillating opinions of the song.
            This is a a significant plus and from now it it will be Come On 3C in my mind.

Comment

I reckon I could listen to todays top 10 without pressing 'skip' which makes it one of the few so far.

Comment

To my knowledge I've only heard two of them (Fame and Come on Eileen.) Some of that's down to age, but mainly I think its due to a time when the UK and North American charts were separated by a gulf wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

Comment

Not even Eye of the Tiger?

That wretched thing was number one for what seemed like aeons in the US, including pretty much the entire time I was over there on hols that year.

Comment

Not to my knowledge, and I just played it. Means absolutely nothing to me. The video's very period, and suitably naff though.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Not to my knowledge, and I just played it. Means absolutely nothing to me.
                      You lucky lucky barstard...

Comment

Can't have been easy to avoid either Rocky III or any televised boxing fight for 41 years ...

Comment

It hasn't been hard. I Rockied out at II, and I'm not a huge boxing fan anyway.

In 1982 there was no Much Music (the Canadian equivalent to MTV.) I was mainly listening to FM radio, which assuredly wouldn't have been playing Eye of the Tiger, and really into the CBGB bands plus Bruuuuuce! of course.

Comment

Today in 1959, Jerry Keller climbs 9 to 10 with Here Comes Summer, while Russ Conway's China Tea falls one to 9. Bobby Darin's Dream Lover tumbles 3 to 8, while Johnny Mathis ascends the same number to 7 with Someone. Joint 5s this week are Lonnie Donegan's Battle of New Orleans (down one) and Frankie Vaughan's The Heart of a Man (up two). Connie Francis's Lipstick On Your Collar inches up 1 to 4, while Paul Anka remains a Lonely Boy at 3. Craig Douglas is still Only Sixteen at 2, and Cliff Richard and The Drifters are unchanged at 1 with Living Doll.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                It hasn't been hard. I Rockied out at II, and I'm not a huge boxing fan anyway.

In 1982 there was no Much Music (the Canadian equivalent to MTV.) I was mainly listening to FM radio, which assuredly wouldn't have been playing Eye of the Tiger, and really into the CBGB bands plus Bruuuuuce! of course.
                                Well, I've never seen any of the Rocky movies at all* (it just ain't my thing), but that theme song was everywhere, man. I guess what people are saying is that you must've avoided most public life, all shopping outlets and the media in general throughout that period.

As GO says, you lucky...individual.

(*Truth to tell, I was briefly exposed to one of the films at a local acquaintance's house where he and some of his pals were watching one of them. Most of the guys were baying for blood as though this were all somehow 'real' and 'live'. It was a bizarre and somewhat depressing spectacle. I made my excuses.)

Comment

To retain my seat at the end-of-year all week (with some overnights) Uni film festival back in the 1980s, I sat through Rocky III twice in succession. So I was well acquainted with Eye of the Tiger. The other films were probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                    Today in 1959, Jerry Keller climbs 9 to 10 with Here Comes Summer, while Russ Conway's China Tea falls one to 9. Bobby Darin's Dream Lover tumbles 3 to 8, while Johnny Mathis ascends the same number to 7 with Someone. Joint 5s this week are Lonnie Donegan's Battle of New Orleans (down one) and Frankie Vaughan's The Heart of a Man (up two). Connie Francis's Lipstick On Your Collar inches up 1 to 4, while Paul Anka remains a Lonely Boy at 3. Craig Douglas is still Only Sixteen at 2, and Cliff Richard and The Drifters are unchanged at 1 with Living Doll.
                                    Ugh. Elvis is in the army, Buddy's gone, Richard's found God, and (I'd need to check the dates, but Chuck is either in stir or about to be.) The first wave of RnR is done and it shows. As it goes I thought Here Comes Summer was by Ricky Nelson.

Comment

It's 1975, and Jasper Carrott climbs 3 to 10 this week with his Funky Moped, while Gladys Knight and the Pips slide 2 to 9 with The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me. Hot Chocolate soar a massive 12 to 8 this week with A Child's Prayer, and Billie Jo Spears' Blanket On The Ground falls the minimum to 7. Mike Batt and New Edition rise 3 to 6 with Summertime City, but George McCrae drops 1 to 5 with It's Been So Long. KC and the Sunshine Band say That's The Way I Like It, moving up 1 to 4, while Roger Whittaker is unchanged at 3 with The Last Farewell. The Stylistics Can't Give You Anything But My Love, as they fall from the top to 2, as Rod Stewart makes the opposite journey by Sailing to 1.

Comment

Comment

Sailing is a horrendous pile of shite. I remember it being the theme to some colossally boring programme about the Royal Navy too, although I was about five then so may have marked that down overly harshly for not being The Six Million Dollar Man.

Jasper Carrott still tours (afaik) but is very rarely on TV these days. Was there any particular reason for his departing the screen other than drifting popularity/semi-retirement?

Comment

That Top Ten pretty much sums up the directionlessness of pop music at the time - glam was done and dusted, punk and disco yet to come, bla bla bla. Novelties and MOR TV tie-ins seemed to be the order of the day.

If you were a popular British comedian or comedic actor, the UK chart was definitely your friend in 1975: Carrott, The Goodies, Billy Connolly, Davies & Estelle, Mike Reid and Billy Howard (from ITV's Who Do You Do?) all scored major hit records that year - and various others tried. (There were, of course, other comic novelties like Yin & Yan and Chris Hill.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Billy Howard (from ITV's Who Do You Do?)
                                              Ah, I didn't know that was the provenance of the King of the Cops hitmaker. It makes it slightly less bewildering, but only slightly.

Comment

One of my friends can still quote that hit word-for-word. We're quite old now.

(Edit: Of course, I should've added Stan Laurel to my list above, together with Oliver Hardy, natch - which remains by far and away the best and funniest of the bunch.)
                                                Last edited by Jawohl Womble; 06-09-2023, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  Sailing is a horrendous pile of shite. I remember it being the theme to some colossally boring programme about the Royal Navy too, although I was about five then so may have marked that down overly harshly for not being The Six Million Dollar Man.

Jasper Carrott still tours (afaik) but is very rarely on TV these days. Was there any particular reason for his departing the screen other than drifting popularity/semi-retirement?
                                                  It's certainly no Sailing By:

Comment

Thanks, DR - that was a very soothing interlude. The next step could be to start offering spa treatments, en route to building It's Always A Number One Day into the world's leading wellness brand.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X