It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    (I never understood the popularity of Beats Int'l, sounds like a bad cover to me).
    Not just me, then.

Comment

In 1966, little did Spencer Davis Group suspect that Somebody Help Me Now would ultimately become the theme for Heartbeat spin-off, The Royal, as they surged nineteen places to 10, and the Beach Boys' Barbara Ann climbs four to 9. Eddy Arnold wants to Make The World Go Away, jumping two to 8, but the Small Faces' Sha La La Lee slumps three to 7. Elusive Butterfly on the double, as Val Doonican's version soars twelve to 6, while Bob Lind's ascends three to 5. The Kinks are Dedicated Followers of Fashion, moving up two to 4, and the top three are all unchanged, starting with the Yardbirds' Shape of Things at 3. The Hollies' I Can't Let Go is at 2, while for the Walker Brothers at 1, The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore.

Comment

Comment

Much better chart than yesterday’s, although not sure who I’d choose from that decent selection. Probably the Spencer Davis Group’s Somebody Help Me (to give it the correct title).

Elusive Butterfly was a very strange and disquieting song. How that was recommended as a suitable vehicle for Val Doonican, I’ve no idea.

Comment

Good choice for my birthday, even if they're older than I am. The Walker Brothers The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore is an anthemic thing of beauty.
            Also listen to the Yardbirds track and tell me what song you think it inspired. Particularly when you hear those fist couple of verses.

Comment

Shapes of Things was a seminal track. Considered the first psychedelic rock song, with Jeff Beck’s feedback guitar solo being very novel and influential (The Byrds 8 Miles High, released a month later, is the other one mentioned in this regard). Beck went on to re-record a slower, heavier version with Rod The Mod on vocals and Ronnie Wood on bass which is claimed to be the first heavy rock song, but he was curiously never credited with any part of the songwriting.

The Yardbirds featured 3 guitar gods in succession: Eric Clapton, Beck and Jimmy Page. Not a bad roster, is it?

Comment

Twenty years ago, NERD's She Wants To Move drops five to 10, and Kanye West's Through The Wire enters at 9. The Sugababes (presumably original incarnation at this stage) are newly In The Middle at 8, and Outkast's The Way You Move is fresh at 7. Britney's Toxic tumbles two to 6, and The Darkness' Love Is Only A Feeling is straight in at 5. Blue's Breathe Easy enters at 4, and Anastacia's Left Outside Alone is brand new at 3. DJ Casper's Cha Cha Slide (me neither) is unchanged at 2, as is Usher's Yeah! at 1.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                    David A Stewart and Candy Dulfer declare Lily Was Here, inching up one to 6...
                    Mention of these two always brings to mind seeing their handprints on Rotterdam's Walk of Fame about fifteen years later. The mayor of the city had initiated the attraction (using the term loosely) in 1990 and it was frontloaded with anyone vaguely notable who had happened to pass through town that year, in a rush to achieve the minimum number of handprints that could be considered to constitute a Walk. Bryan Ferry's handprints were quite delicate, from memory, an evolutionary advantage for tying and loosening bow ties.

Comment

I think we're into the Heidi Range era of Sugababes by now.

Apart from Toxic, nothing really resonates from today's lot.

Pharrell Williams strikes me as a bit of twat but seems to have been beyond criticism for most of his career.

Comment

I cannot quite believe DR is not aware of the Cha Cha Slide. Any wedding or other party come to that DJ knows it's a sure fire floor filler for the kids. There's a proper dance routine and all... they all know it.

Comment

He (Pharrell, not DR) does benefit concerts for tthe IDF, a level of depravity I am utterly bewildered by. It's a government backed army FFS. It doesn't need charity!

'Toxic' is good, isn't it.

Comment

As well as being an appropriate description of the aforementioned Pharrell Williams

Comment

Yep, I think we were at something like the second or third incarnation of Sugababes by that point. (Keisha was just starting to kick a bit of arse by then, I imagine.)

Not a great chart. NERD made far better records.

Comment

Anastasia’s vocal always put me in mind of a honking goose when she gave it some welly.

Comment

In 1981, Linx's Intuition sees them rise three to 10, while Coast to Coast wriggle like snakes and waddle like ducks as they take Sixties classic The Hucklebuck down two to 9. Landscape's Einstein A-Go-Go climbs three to 8, but Roxy Music's Jealous Guy tumbles four to 7. Toyah's Four From Toyah slumps two to 6, while Bucks Fizz's Making Your Mind Up speeds up nineteen this week to 5. Stevie Wonder Lately ascends two to 4, but Tony Capstick and The Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band jump seven to 3 with Capstick Comes Home/The Sheffield Grinder. Kim Wilde's Kids In America remains at 2, as does Shakin' Stevens' This Ole House at 1.

Comment

Comment

For me, Tony Capstick never really recovered from his original bandmates leaving to form Heaven 17.

Roxy, Kim and Linx are my picks of the day.

Comment

Capstick's hit was a lovely, cheery ode to domestic abuse. Hilarious stuff.

I've always enjoyed Einstein a Go Go and, in recent years, have warmed to Kids in America. (This chart brings back powerful reminders of a fun time on my foundation year at art school.)​

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                        Anastasia’s vocal always put me in mind of a honking goose when she gave it some welly.
                                        I get that with Heather Small.

As I'm sure do many.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Capstick's hit was a lovely, cheery ode to domestic abuse. Hilarious stuff.
                                          Yuck. I have to confess that I only got 30 seconds in before bailing so didn't know where it went. I don't remember it from the time, unlike all manner of other crap. He was no Fred Wedlock.

Comment

I remember my mum quite liked it, but those were the days that you didn't get regional accents on TV, so to hear someone with a South Yorkshire accent was a novelty and a source of no little pride (I think now we forget that there was a time when regional accents were seen as lesser than RP/BBC speak)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Yuck. I have to confess that I only got 30 seconds in before bailing so didn't know where it went. I don't remember it from the time, unlike all manner of other crap. He was no Fred Wedlock.
                                              I've not heard it in years, but basically, the story follows the lines of 'mom' having provided (presumably Hovis) bread for the son's tea. This, 'dad' decrees, is not a serviceable repast for a growing boy, before hurling regional abuse at his wife and proceeding to throttle her. Even in 1981, I thought it way over the top for a pop/comedy record.

Fred Wedlock's song (which had by now slipped from # 46 to # 70) had become a hit thanks to Noel Edmonds' repeated plays of it on his Sunday show. Just so you know who to blame.

Comment

Try telling someone now that Fred Wedlock and Tony Capstick were from 1981 not 1931. They wouldn't believe you.

Elsewhere this is pretty good - I go along with the general acclamation for Landscape, Kim and Linx, and that is a lush cover version by Roxy, with possibly the most epic whistling ever committed to vinyl. 'OTT grandeur' is not something one normally associates with later John Lennon songs, but Roxy found it alright.

Comment

The lyrics to that Capstick Comes Home are quite something. Not only does the dad put his hands around her throat, he then proceeds to chuck the mother into the fire but it's all alright as kids today don't know they're born.

I've not heard it for years but just seeing it written has given me a Hucklebuck earworm. I'm not going to click on the video or it'll never stop.

Comment

Admittedly, when one's used to the showband version, it's rather disconcerting to hear it sped up in disco style. Much obliged for the Capstick backstory and apologies, like many such videos, had just stuck it up for the novelty value.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X