Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    In 1962, Billy Fury's I'll Never Find Another You drops three to 10, and The Everly Brothers' Crying In The Rain remains at 9. Neil Sedaka's Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen tumbles two to 8, but Mr Acker Bilk's Stranger On The Shore inches up one to 7. Bobby Vee's Run To Him soars five spots to 6, and Leroy Van Dyke's Walk On By stays at 5. Chubby Checker's Let's Twist Again falls two to 4, and Eden Kane's Forget Me Not is still at 3. Elvis' Can't Help Falling In Love/Rock-A-Hula Baby dances up two to 2, meaning no change at 1 for Cliff's The Young Ones.

Leave a comment:

• Auntie Beryl
    replied
    Here are some words that rarely appear in this order:

That A1 single is decent.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
    Puretone are Addicted to Bass
    A-oww-a-ow! DUMM DUMM DUMM! Your bassline is shooting up my spine!

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Pink might be my choice from that lot.

Hero is a good example of a very familiar song that I had to check to make sure that it was the one that I thought it was (aka 21st century pop music).

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    In 2002, True Love Never Dies for Flip and Fill, along with Kelly Llorena, but they slip three to 10, and Britney's Overprotected as she plummets five to 9. Jakatta's So Lonely entering at 8, and A1 are Caught In The Middle as they drop four to 7. Ja Rule and Ashanti remain Always On Time at 6, while Alien Ant Farm are newly at the Movies at 5. Puretone are Addicted to Bass, as they inch up one to 4, and Pink decides to Get The Party Started, despite falling the minimum to 3. Have No Doubt, Hey Baby goes straight in at 2, and Enrique Iglesias is still a Hero at 1.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Oh it’s all good, I’ve just never heard of Essex being as artistically-recognised as Harley. That said, Gonna Make You a Star was decent slice of pop - and Rock On was a great single that sounded like nothing before or since. (Except perhaps its own follow-up, Lamplight…)

Cockney Rebel’s Sebastian, Judy Teen and Mr Raffles were all top-dollar obvs, with Mr Soft and MMS(CUASM) not too far behind.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    I like David Essex so that wasn't meant as a dig at Harley!

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    (‘Steve Harley < David Essex?’ Blimey…)

NB I think it’s Mac & Katie Kissoon: they had a decent 1975 with three Top 20 singles here, but I’d heard nothing of or about them thereafter until Katie turned up as a guest model on Sky Portrait Artist of the Year in 2017. From recollection, the upshot was that she’d worked consistently but hadn’t done anything of particular note since then.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Yes, I've come across people for whom Steve Harley is, if not in the Bowie/Roxy league, certainly significant but never asked the obvious question. Maybe they are just less wedded to high concept in their pop.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    I used to work with a big Steve Harley fan, but I never got round to asking what his thing is. What is it? What dreams are hung upon him? He's kind of like a less good David Essex who doesn't act, but is there anything he stands for?

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    In 1975, Wigan's Chosen Few climb six to 10 with Footsee, and Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel jump twenty-four places to 9 with Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me). Donny and Marie Osmond's Morning Side Of The Mountain tumbles two to 8, and Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band's Black Superman (Muhammad Ali) rises seven to 7. Kenny's The Bump inches up one to 6, while Helen Reddy's Angie Baby ascends eight to 5. Glitter Band's Goodbye My Love slips two to 4, but Mac and Cathy Kissoon's Sugar Candy Kisses is unchanged at 3. The Carpenters' Please Mr Postman delivers an extra six places to 2, while staying at 1 is Pilot's January.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Not going to lie - I have time for every single song in that chart.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Usher's longevity had rather passed me by until this week.

I see that you are sparing Graham Hefferman's blushes by not giving him a hometown hero ranking, DR.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    I don't care how silly it is, 'Mulder And Scully' is a fucking banger.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Love was in the air in 1998, where Janet Jackson's Together Again and Catatonia's Mulder and Scully both fell one to 10 and 9 respectively. The Lighthouse Family may have been High, but tumbled three to 8, and Robbie Williams' Angels (co-written by Dubliner Graham Heffernan) slips the minimum to 7. Will Smith's Gettin' Jiggy Wit (sic) It drops three to 6, and All Saints' Never Ever descends one to 5. Usher's inaugural You Make Me Wanna moves down two to 4, and Cleopatra are newly comin' atcha at 3 with their eponymous Theme. Backstreet Boys' All I Have To Give enters at 2, but there's no move for Aqua's Doctor Jones.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Thanks for pursuing it even that far!

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Did Jim Beglin feature at all on The Anfield Rap..?
    Wikipedia says yes, although I'm guessing in the chorus rather than as a featured performer and I'm not inclined to check by watching through the video.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    You've reeled me in, DR; who are Waterford's top two musical prodigies?
    Did Jim Beglin feature at all on The Anfield Rap..?

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    The good people of Waterford are entitled to their own views on this but Big Val takes the export crown.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    I'd assume Gilbert O'Sullivan is one of them.
    And Brendan Bowyer the other.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I'm imagining that Cilla Black cover version is horrific. It's a bad enough song on its own merits.

The Del Shannon song was a credits track on Only Murders in the Building.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    I'd assume Gilbert O'Sullivan is one of them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X