Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    The Pretties the best thing that week. Though I'd entertain arguments for the Kinks.
    The uncle of my old agent (the same guy mentioned on the ‘nominative determinism’ thread) was Phil May out of off of The Pretty Things.

    Thrilling news. As you were.

    Comment


      Some googling shows no known link between Wayne Fontana and Fountains of Wayne. I'm disappointed.

      Comment


        Wayne was talked into going solo... and disappeared with nary a trace. The Mindbenders OTOH ended up eventually as 10cc (not all of them obvs.)

        Comment


          Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          The uncle of my old agent (the same guy mentioned on the ‘nominative determinism’ thread) was Phil May out of off of The Pretty Things.

          Thrilling news. As you were.
          Phil May, along with Dick Taylor (also of The Pretties) and Keith Richards were students at Sidcup Art College in the early 60s. "Not much art going on" said Keef, "More of a guitar workshop really."

          Comment


            In 2008, Leona Lewis implores Forgive Me, as she falls five to 10, while the Guru Josh Project's Infinity 2000 tumbles three to 9. Britney Spears is a Womanizer, slipping four to 8, while appropriately, Katy Perry is still Hot and Cold at 7. Girls Aloud drop three to 6 with The Promise, while Alesha Dixon's The Boy Does Nothing rises the same amount to 5. The Killers are Human, and new, at 4, while Beyoncé's If I Were A Boy slips the minimum to 3. TI's Live Your Life soars a whopping thirty-seven places to 2, while The X-Factor Finalists' Hero remains at 1.

            Comment






              Comment


                The only one I recognise is The Killers track. With it's awkward sounding lyric.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  The only one I recognise is The Killers track. With it's awkward sounding lyric.
                  I still hear that, the Katy Perry track, and "the boy does nothing" regularly on Romanian radio

                  Comment


                    I remember driving to a gig in Glasgow (Aimee Mann at the Old Fruitmarket, fact fans) listening to the chart countdown when that version of Infinity entered the chart (checking it, it was about four weeks before this chart), as they interviewed Mr Josh with the theme being very much about this "old song" being discovered by a new generation. At the time that was 19 years on from the original, and now we're 15 years on from that, and now I feel quite old, but at least I'm still alive, unlike said guru.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Phil May, along with Dick Taylor (also of The Pretties) and Keith Richards were students at Sidcup Art College in the early 60s. "Not much art going on" said Keef, "More of a guitar workshop really."
                      I think they (The Pretty Things) pre-dated Keith and co in the long-hair stakes. (Among white performers, anyway.)

                      Screaming Lord Sutch probably got there first, however.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Some googling shows no known link between Wayne Fontana and Fountains of Wayne. I'm disappointed.
                        That similarity had never previously occurred to me.

                        Fountains Of Wayne adopted their moniker from a garden-ornament store in New Jersey - thereby joining Everything But The Girl in the Bands Named After Obscure Retail Outlets Club.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                          At the time that was 19 years on from the original, and now we're 15 years on from that, and now I feel quite old, but at least I'm still alive, unlike said guru.
                          A friend and I had a longstanding private joke about Guru Josh, based upon having once found a flyer for a club PA which boasted, "He's crazy! He plays keyboards AND sax!" This made me feel slightly guilty when I found out about the sad end to his story.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

                            That similarity had never previously occurred to me.

                            Fountains Of Wayne adopted their moniker from a garden-ornament store in New Jersey - thereby joining Everything But The Girl in the Bands Named After Obscure Retail Outlets Club.
                            Yes I read that on Wikipedia before finding out how prolific Adam Schlesinger (RIP) was as a songwriter. Was slightly awed really.

                            We could also add Bono to the list of artists named after retail outlets.

                            Comment


                              Wasn't there a group called World Of Leather?

                              The Kitchens Of Distinction sound like they were named after a retail outlet, but I don't actually know.

                              Comment


                                Yes, KOD absolutely were - I knew there was an example slipping my mind. World Of Leather, meanwhile, were on Rough Trade during the nineties: they had a 1995 single titled Jesus Christ Superstore - which in itself could be a retail outlet.

                                REM of course named Automatic for the People after the slogan on a sign outside an Athens soul food joint - although I've never fully understood its meaning in that context.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  I think they (The Pretty Things) pre-dated Keith and co in the long-hair stakes. (Among white performers, anyway.)
                                  They did, also Dick Taylor had a beard! (shock... horror)

                                  Comment


                                    In 1974, The Bay City Rollers entreat All Of Me Loves All Of You, as they slide three to 10, while The Stylistics continue to say Let's Put It All Together at 9. The Rubettes' Juke Box Jive soars fifteen places to 8, and No, Honestly, Lyndsey De Paul rises thirteen to 7. The Peppers' Pepper Box jumps four to 6, and while Ken Boothe bequeaths Everything I Own, he still tumbles two to 5. Eddie Holman continues to ask (Hey There) Lonely Girl at 4, and Barry White declares You're The First, The Last, My Everything, as he ascends two to 3. Queen's Killer Queen is unmoved at 2, while David Essex is still Gonna Make You A Star at 1.

                                    Comment






                                      Comment


                                        Some decent ones in there. But which of those artists later appeared on a This Mortal Coil album?

                                        Comment


                                          Juke Box Jive brings back cliched-yet-genuine memories of listening to the Radio Luxembourg Top 30 under the pillow.

                                          For chart nerds interested, their correspondent chart for this week can be found here:

                                          https://radiopedia.nl/wiki/Radio_Lux..._november_1974

                                          Possibly as a result of the imminent Christmas market, the official BBC charts had gone a bit barmy (by 1974 standards) around that time: that same week, Slade had dropped from #6 to #30 with Far Far Away, while the BCRs were about to descend to the same spot next week. (Eddie Holman, meanwhile, was set to plummet from #7 to #38 a couple of weeks on.) ​

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                            Some decent ones in there. But which of those artists later appeared on a This Mortal Coil album?
                                            And a second quiz question: What do Dudley Moore, George Best, David Frost, Dodi Fayed, Ringo Starr, Bill Kenwright, Roy Wood, James Coburn, Chas Chandler, and Bernie Taupin have in common?

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                              Some decent ones in there. But which of those artists later appeared on a This Mortal Coil album?
                                              Great triv question - the late, great-ish Les McKeown of the BCRs. That'll be the Edinburgh connection in effect.

                                              We had Les on NMTB one Christmas - he was (perhaps unsurprisingly) utterly sh*tfaced the whole afternoon/evening and kept insisting that he 'knew me'. Never having met the guy before that day, in the end I just gave up and told him I'd been a member of Kenny.

                                              Comment


                                                Nice to meet you, Mark?

                                                Comment


                                                  Just checked Kenny's Wiki page - they didn't have a 'Mark'.

                                                  They had more charting records in Germany than here, it seems.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

                                                    And a second quiz question: What do Dudley Moore, George Best, David Frost, Dodi Fayed, Ringo Starr, Bill Kenwright, Roy Wood, James Coburn, Chas Chandler, and Bernie Taupin have in common?
                                                    They were all alive in the 1970s?

                                                    Jah's answer of McKeown is correct of course, should have guessed he'd know that. I only found out when I read that history of 4AD book.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X