X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the Donna Summer version:

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
      Well, Saturday has finally arrived, so time to provide the answers to my teasers!

A1: A Man Called Horse
      A2: Garryowen RFC
      A3: Bull McCabe
      A4: Professor Dumbledore
      A5: Jared Harris
      I've never heard of any of these things. I thought you were leading up to some big music/year type affair.

Comment

Boney M had some tunes

Comment

They did, although Rasputin's drum intro was nicked from Cozy Powell's 'Dance with the Devil' (who'd lifted it from Hendrix's 3rd stone from the Sun..)

Comment

Guess which two of that top ten that I own on 45.

Comment

If Dean Friedman is one of them you are dead to me.

Comment

Heh, it was my neice's father's least favourite song, so if he was being annoying, we'd sing it to him...

Comment

My big brother goes to see Dean Friedman every time he plays Glasgow, gets backstage etc

He also drags his kids along. He might have an excuse for drifting from Elton to Joel to Friedman but they are young enough to say no, surely.

Comment

The idea that he's a) still alive and b) still touring worries me...

Comment

Apparently he's only 68.

Comment

Psst. Does anyone understand Dr's quiz? And how it led to this chart?

Comment

No,

I recognise the answers but the process is beyond opaque

Comment

The answers all lead to Richard Harris, who was the original singer of MacArthur Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                              The answers all lead to Richard Harris, who was the original singer of MacArthur Park.
                              Thank you!

Comment

Had to leave early yesterday afternoon, so apologies for the lack of replies myself. In 1960, Hank Locklin climbs four to 10 with Please Help Me, I'm Falling, while Sam Cooke does the same to 9 with Chain Gang. Elvis is unchanged at 8 with A Mess Of Blues, while Cliff Richard drops two to 7 with Nine Times Out Of Ten. Bob Luman inches up one to 6 with Let's Think About Living, while The Everly Brothers slip the minimum to 5 with Lucille/So Sad. Adam Faith ascends two to 4 with How About That, while Ricky Valance tumbles one to 3 with Tell Laura I Love Her. Shirley Bassey climbs one to 2 with As Long As He Needs Me, while Roy Orbison remains at 1 with Only The Lonely.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    The idea that he's a) still alive and b) still touring worries me...
                                    My sister was briefly friends with Friedman around thirty years back. Said he was very sweet.

I’ll largely concur with the judgement on his music, however. (Staggered - well, ‘surprised’ - that he’s only 68, however.)

Comment

My dad used to have a set of old Giles cartoon annuals which I read through as a child. In 1960 or so there were a number of entries around the theme of Adam Faith representing a dire threat to the moral wellbeing of the nation's teens. It was quite hard to reconcile that with the latter day Mail on Sunday personal finance columnist.

Comment

Predictable that I’d mention it perhaps, but Faith gave us surely the finest-ever ‘last words’ of any rock star.

Comment

Which I always end up countering with "...said the man who starred in The House That Jack Built".

Comment

Thank God he never saw ITV2 before he died.

Comment

…or GB News.

Comment

As a twelve year old I remember being perplexed by the controversy over "death songs" like Tell Laura I Love Her. After all cowboys were getting shot on TV every day, no one bothered about that.

Comment

In 1982, Barry Manilow ejaculates that I Wanna Do It With You, jumping three to 10, while Chicago find it Hard To Say I'm Sorry, dropping three to 9. Fat Larry's Band Zoom down four spots to 8 this week, while Spandau Ballet's Lifeline keeps them unchanged at 7. Tears For Fears soar ten places to 6 in their Mad World, while Musical Youth still Pass The Dutchie, but tumble three to 5 this week. The Beatles' Love Me Do inches up one to 4, and the Kids From Fame still remain at 3, as they want to be a Starmaker. Kid Creole and the Coconuts declare that Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy, jumping seven spots to 2 this week, but Culture Club continue to ask Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, as they remain at 1.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X