It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    That Matthews Southern Comfort song is some awful dreary shit, and that Patches song is cloyingly saccharine sweet and icky. Probably somewhere between 4 and 5 on the NoChargeometer.
    Despite this week's minor climb, MSC were all set to top the charts the following week. I've always liked their version personally, but prefer the original. (Nazareth - they also covered Joni well. This Flight Tonight became an absolute beast under their watch.)

I wouldn't claim Patches as a particular favourite, but it was lightyears ahead of dreck like No Charge.

Comment

Weird that although that's just a single week from more than 2 years before I was born, I know 7 of the 10 songs,

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Despite this week's minor climb, MSC were all set to top the charts the following week. I've always liked their version personally, but prefer the original. (Nazareth - they also covered Joni well. This Flight Tonight became an absolute beast under their watch.)

I wouldn't claim Patches as a particular favourite, but it was lightyears ahead of dreck like No Charge.
        No, SotS is right on Patches. Its not as bad as No Charge or Deck of Cards, but it's fucking dreadful all the same

Comment

Nah, not in the same ballpark - Patches may have been heavy-handed, but it had narrative and a deliberate level of melodrama completely lacking in the others.

No Charge was straight off the back of some cloying greetings card that even Clinton's would've rejected, while Deck of Cards was just Max Bygraves (and Wink Martindale, and a thousand second-division country singers) 'phoning in a load of pseudo-religious gubbins.

I know. I was that soldier.

Comment

The Christians live on, as every time we drive from Annan to Dumfries I sing

It must be one of the troubles of a-living in Carrutherstown

If we go the back road, it's the Isley Bros:

Cummertrees, makes me feel fine...

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              Weird that although that's just a single week from more than 2 years before I was born, I know 7 of the 10 songs,
              Yes, Sean identified the few weaklings in that bunch like a lion scoping a family of wildebeest.

Matthews Southern Bumfluff might have been a more apt name given the singer's feeble yet flaunted facial hair.

I had misremembered Patches as being a noble pet song and it does dip a toe into the same pools of sentimentality as that genre.

Comment

Clue #3 - Will a Taurean eat Breakfast on Pluto?

Ash are brand new at 10 with A Life Less Ordinary, while, ironically, the Brand New Heavies slip two to 9 with You've Got A Friend. Chumbawamba tumble two to 8 with Tubthumping, as do Eternal to 7 with Angel Of Mine. The Backstreet Boys also fall two to 6 with As Long As You Love Me, as does Dario G to 5 with Sunchyme. Sash and La Trec decline two to 4 with Stay, as does Elton John (finally!) from the top to 3 with Candle In The Wind/Something About The Way You Look Tonight. Aqua enter at 2 with Barbie Girl, as do The Spice Girls at 1 with Spice Up Your Life.

Comment

Comment

Vocal, production, lyric...Barbie Girl was just so excruciatingly awful.

I guess that this constituted 'very clever concept and marketing'.

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                    The Christians live on, as every time we drive from Annan to Dumfries I sing

It must be one of the troubles of a-living in Carrutherstown

If we go the back road, it's the Isley Bros:

Cummertrees, makes me feel fine...
                    The Christians of course covered the Isleys, so there's definitely something afoot there...

Comment

Or something Powfoot [#Dumfriesshire pun#]

Comment

I guiltily admit to finding it kinda amusing, and more than a bit of an earworm, the first half-dozen or so times I heard it. Which is all you need to make a hit record, right?

Comment

Penultimate clue - Bee not afraid of their prestidigitation!

In 1957, Jerry Lee Lewis climbs six to 10 with Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, while Elvis jumps four to 9 with Teddy Bear. Pat Boone moves up two to 8 with Remember You're Mine/There's A Goldmine In The Sky, while Harry Belafonte drops one to 7 with Island In The Sun. Charlie Grace ascends three to 6 with I Love You So Much It Hurts/Wandering Eyes, while Pat Boone slips one to 5 with Love Letters In The Sand. Debbie Reynolds also falls the minimum to 4 with Tammy, as do The Crickets to 3 with That'll Be The Day. Elvis climbs three to 2 with Party, while Paul Anka remains at 1 with Diana.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I guiltily admit to finding it kinda amusing, and more than a bit of an earworm, the first half-dozen or so times I heard it. Which is all you need to make a hit record, right?
                              It is, of course - but we all know what dreadful choices British record-buyers can make.

I know that song is a soft target, but that voice and those beyond-cringe-inducing lyrics...

Comment

The King looks very cool in that denim jacket.

I'm not having much luck unleashing my inner Adam West on these dastardly clues.

Comment

Final clue - My son's a Mad Man, you know!

In 2007, Shayne Ward tumbles six to 10 with No U Hang Up/If That's OK With You, while 50 Cent drops three to 9 with Ayo Technology. The Freemasons soar thirteen to 8 with the appropriately titled Uninvited, while Mika climbs nine to 7 with Happy Ending. Timbaland jumps a whopping twenty-six places to 6 with Apologise, while Ida Corr vs Fedde La Grande fall three to 5 with Let Me Think About It. The Hoosiers inch up one to 4 with Goodbye Mr A, while Britney Spears is new at 3 with Gimme More. Mark Ronson and Amy Whitehouse also climb the minimum to 2 with Valerie, while the Sugababes remain at 1 with About You Now.

Comment

Comment

The Freemasons is another contender for worst band name ever.

Comment

Quite. I'd never knowingly heard of (these) Freemasons before now - but it's such an awful name I was prompted to listen to the track out of curiosity: astonishingly, it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard by any means.

But why the hell a dance group fronted by an attractive female singer (Judie Tzuke's daughter, it transpires) would choose to be called that, Christ alone knows.

Comment

I know there's a thread somewhere on singles by bands that are out of step with the rest of their output, but 'Turn Back Time' by Aqua really does jar with the rest of their cartoony hits (and it was written by members of the band and not "bought in").

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                            Clue #3 - Will a Taurean eat Breakfast on Pluto?

Ash are brand new at 10 with A Life Less Ordinary, while, ironically, the Brand New Heavies slip two to 9 with You've Got A Friend. Chumbawamba tumble two to 8 with Tubthumping, as do Eternal to 7 with Angel Of Mine. The Backstreet Boys also fall two to 6 with As Long As You Love Me, as does Dario G to 5 with Sunchyme. Sash and La Trec decline two to 4 with Stay, as does Elton John (finally!) from the top to 3 with Candle In The Wind/Something About The Way You Look Tonight. Aqua enter at 2 with Barbie Girl, as do The Spice Girls at 1 with Spice Up Your Life.
                                            What year was this?

Comment

Apologies, 1997 - Candle In The Wind being the indicator there.

Comment

Very obvious now you've said that

Comment

Well, Saturday has finally arrived, so time to provide the answers to my teasers!

A1: A Man Called Horse
                                                  A2: Garryowen RFC
                                                  A3: Bull McCabe
                                                  A4: Professor Dumbledore
                                                  A5: Jared Harris

In 1978, Leo Sayer slips three to 10 with I Can't Stop Lovin' You, while The Jacksons jump five to 9 with Blame It On The Boogie. Rose Royce crashes three places to 8 with Love Don't Live Here Anymore, while the Boomtown Rats climb two to 7 with Rat Trap. ELO are unchanged at 6 with Sweet Talking Woman, while Donna Summer soars seven to 5 with her version of MacArthur Park. Dean Friedman drops one to 4 with Lucky Stars, while John Travolta moves up one to 3 with Sandy. Boney M remain at 2 with Rasputin, while John Travolta and Olivia Newton John are still at 1 with Summer Nights.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X