No announcement yet.

It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1988, Womack and Womack tumble six places to 10 with Teardrops, while The Christians jump twelve to 9 with Harvest For The World. Rick Astley slips two to 8 with She Wants To Dance With Me, while Kim Wilde delivers sage advice, climbing eight to 7 with Never Trust A Stranger. Wee Papa Girl Rappers move up two to 6 with Wee Rule, while Enya sails away up twenty-four places to 5 with Orinoco Flow. Erasure demand A Little Respect, as they ascend three to 4, while D:Mob soar 17 spots to 3 with We Call It Acieed (?). Bobby McFerrin inches up one to 2 with Don't Worry, Be Hapoy, while Whitney Houston remains at 1 with the anthem of the Seoul Olympics, One Moment In Time.

Comment

Comment

As if to prove that long '80s is still very much with us, earlier in the year I saw The Christians (9) supporting Belinda Carlisle, who in turn is appearing as the special guest of Rick Astley (8) on his forthcoming arena tour early next year. Anyone querying the difference between supporting and appearing as the special guest of will be removed by security.

I was as surprised as anyone that Rick Astley has a forthcoming arena tour but tickets seem to be shifting quite briskly for it.

Comment

Everyone (bar me) seemed to go apesh*t for those Smiths-covers gigs he did with Blossoms, so I imagine much of the resurgence of interest stems from that.

Comment

That, and all those Eighties nostalgia festivals seem to sell out fairly rapidly in recent years.

Comment

Y'all have a treat/threat in store for Saturday (should have featured near the very start of this thread, but I now have an excuse to catch up).

Comment

And still five days to ratchet up the suspense!

Comment

Clue #1 - Was this performer in Equus, perhaps?

In 1965, Hedgehoppers Anonymous soar a stonking eleven places to 10 with It's Good News Week, while the Yardbirds also climb thirteen spots to 9 with Evilhearted You/Still I'm Sad. Dusty Springfield jumps five places to 8 with Some Of Your Lovin', while The Walker Brothers slip the minimum to 7 with Make It Easy On Yourself. Sandie Shaw ascends three to 6 with Message Understood, while the McCoys remain at 5 with Hang On Sloopy. Barry McGuire is still at 4 with Edge Of Destruction, and Manfred Mann stays at 3 with If You Gotta Go Go Now. Andy Williams is unchanged at 2 with Almost There, and Ken Dodd is unmoved at 1 with Tears.

Comment

Comment

The Wee Papa Girl Rappers are another random band I'd completely forgotten about until this thread.

Never heard of Hedgehoppers Anonymous but loving the band name.

Comment

The October 1988 chart was one of the featured years on Absolute 80s yesterday evening so I got five of that Top 10 while peeling the spuds and chopping the cabbage for tea last night.

I really quite enjoyed Rick and Erasure, not so keen on Enya or Whitney and, probably as I would have done back then, found the Christians to be a bit meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          The Wee Papa Girl Rappers are another random band I'd completely forgotten about until this thread.

Never heard of Hedgehoppers Anonymous but loving the band name.
                          We called it Garden Hopping is our corner of Devon. Obviously the desire to remain anonymous was taken as a given. If, of course, that's what hedgehopping is.

Comment

Makes it sound like some kind of precursor to dogging.

Comment

If I remember correctly hedgehopping was/is flying at low level and the band were serving or ex-RAF.

Comment

For the benefit of doubt, what we called garden hopping evolved from a way of taking short cuts to virtually an assault course around the village. More often than not ending in a mad scramble through hedges and over fences once a home owner realised we were tiptoeing through his prized flower beds and Howard getting caught.

Comment

Hedgehoppers was a Jonathan King bit, he wrote and produced it, managed them and added the 'Anonymous' to their name according to Wiki.

That top 3 can bugger off, but 'Hang On Sloopy' and 'Evilhearted You' are pretty good. Obviously part of the appeal of the former is that it sounds like Snoopy.
                                  Last edited by delicatemoth; 23-10-2023, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    As if to prove that long '80s is still very much with us, earlier in the year I saw The Christians (9) supporting Belinda Carlisle, who in turn is appearing as the special guest of Rick Astley (8) on his forthcoming arena tour early next year. Anyone querying the difference between supporting and appearing as the special guest of will be removed by security.
                                    The Christians are supporting Level 42 on their current tour, so there's clearly no shortage of work for them.

Comment

Garry C is a likeable frontman but I didn't recognise many of the songs in their set beyond the biggest couple of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                        Clue #1 - Was this performer in Equus, perhaps?
                                        The best I can offer for Equus is The Faces' A Nod's as Good as a Wink... album in its full title.

Comment

BA Robertson?

Comment

BA would definitely be more threat than treat.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                              Hedgehoppers was a Jonathan King bit, he wrote and produced it, managed them and added the 'Anonymous' to their name according to Wiki.

That top 3 can bugger off, but 'Hang On Sloopy' and 'Evilhearted You' are pretty good. Obviously part of the appeal of the former is that it sounds like Snoopy.
                                              Though not quite contemporary the vid for Hang On Sloopy is one of my all time faves, partly because the dancer is seriously hot and reminds me of my first wife, and partly because who knew the McCoys had a vibraphone player? Weird. Also you've got to admire Bert Berns ability to curate his catalog. My Girl Sloopy (almost exactly the same song) had been released a year or so earlier to mediocre sales. So Bert heavied it up a bit tweaked the lyrics andthere you go!

Comment

Clue #2 - Gary? Owen? We're not talking Take That here!

In 1970, Matthew's Southern Comfort jump one to 10 with Woodstock, as do The Temptations at 9 with Ball Of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today). Desmond Dekker tumbles five to 8 with You Can Get It If You Really Want, while Diana Ross slips one to 7 with Ain't No Mountain High Enough. The Carpenters climb two to 6 with (They Long To Be) Close To You, while Black Sabbath are unchanged at 5 with Paranoid. Also static are the Tremeloes at 4 with Me and My Life, while Clarence Carter soars a mind-blowing eleven places to 3 with Patches. Deep Purple remain at 2 with Black Night, while Freda Payne seems to have been an age at 1 with Band of Gold.

Comment

Comment

That Matthews Southern Comfort song is some awful dreary shit, and that Patches song is cloyingly saccharine sweet and icky. Probably somewhere between 4 and 5 on the NoChargeometer.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X