No announcement yet.

It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1991, Rozalla drop three to 10 with Everybody's Free (To Feel Good), while Erasure tumble four to 9 with Love To Hate You. Salt-N-Pepa fall the same to 8 with Let's Talk About Sex, while Julian Lennon is down one to 7 with Saltwater. 2 Unlimited jump a whopping thirteen places to 6 with Get Ready For This, while Oceanic slip two to 5 with Insanity. Kiri Te Kanawa soars an astonishing seven places to 4 with World In Union, while Monty Python climb five to 3 with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. The Scorpions are unchanged at 2 with Wind Of Change, while, for the 15th consecutive week, Bryan Adams is 1 with (Everything I Do) I Do It For You.

Comment

Comment

People often ask "what kind of stuff would John Lennon have released if he'd survived?" It seems the answer should be "just listen to anything by Julian and you'll get a pretty good idea".

Saltwater is so blatantly "I'm gonna try and write my Imagine".

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
          In 1991, Rozalla drop three to 10 with Everybody's Free (To Feel Good), while Erasure tumble four to 9 with Love To Hate You. Salt-N-Pepa fall the same to 8 with Let's Talk About Sex, while Julian Lennon is down one to 7 with Saltwater. 2 Unlimited jump a whopping thirteen places to 6 with Get Ready For This, while Oceanic slip two to 5 with Insanity. Kiri Te Kanawa soars an astonishing seven places to 4 with World In Union, while Monty Python climb five to 3 with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. The Scorpions are unchanged at 2 with Wind Of Change, while, for the 15th consecutive week, Bryan Adams is 1 with (Everything I Do) I Do It For You.
          Just one more week of heaven at number 1

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            People often ask "what kind of stuff would John Lennon have released if he'd survived?" It seems the answer should be "just listen to anything by Julian and you'll get a pretty good idea".

Saltwater is so blatantly "I'm gonna try and write my Imagine".
            I think it's more about Julian not being satisfied with just trading off his dad's name and ripping off his sound too to just so everyone knows exactly who his father was.
            If John Lennon was alive today I reckon he'd be churning out the odd protest song of a quality just above ​​​​War is Stupid and spouting the kind of conspiracy theories that would have him ending up as a regular guest on a Matt le Tissier podcast.

Comment

If anyone is thinking of declaring a certain dance track to be "a banger" they should not be able to do so until they have compared it to Insanity.

Comment

This is the chart from my third(ish) week at uni, so you'd think I'd recall all ten fondly. That said...

The Adams atrocity was hanging in there - it had been a very long summer between my last classes at school and the travel away, and the Canadian coot had been mocking us from the summit the entire bloody time. Never have U2 been so welcome.

Insanity and Everybody's Free (To Feel Good) soundtracked my descent into studenty madness, Salt-N-Pepa and 2 Unlimited too. The Python, Lennon Jr, Scorpions and rugby songs... get outta here. And Erasure remained stubbornly Erasure, a six out of ten band to this very day.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                  the Canadian coot had been mocking us from the summit the entire bloody time.
                  Point of order Mr Chairman. Canada possesses no coots, only loons.

Comment

Cheerfully withdrawn.

Comment

I've often wondered who buys a record that's been 13 weeks at the top. Surely at that stage everyone who loved it has bought it, and the rest of the population is heartily sick of it.

Comment

I cried the week it fell off the top.

Comment

As the Suez and Hungarian crises unfold in 1956, The Goons tumble four places to 10 with the Ying-Tong Song, while Bill Haley and the Comets drop one to 9 with Rock Around The Clock. The Platters slip three to 8 with The Great Pretender/Only You, while Lonnie Donegan jumps three to 7 with Bring A Little Water Sylvie/Dead Or Alive. Bill Haley and the Comets do the same at 6 with Rockin' Through The Rye, while Doris Day climbs one to 5 with Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera). Freddie Bell and the Bell Boys are up three to 4 with Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong, while Elvis stays at 3 with Hound Dog. Anne Shelton falls from the top to 2 with Lay Down Your Arms, where she's replaced at 1 by Frankie Laine with A Woman In Love.

Comment

Comment

Freddie Bell and the Bell Boys are up three to 4 with Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong​
                              You're just making stuff up now, aren't you.

Comment

You can't say that without doing it in a Smashie and Nicey voice. In fact, since he started this thread I'm convinced that is how Discordant Resonance speaks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

You're just making stuff up now, aren't you.
                                  See #444 in this thread for ye olde Fifties TV live performance.
                                  Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 20-10-2023, 11:42.

Comment

In 2006, David Hasselhoff tumbles seven places to 10 with Jump In My Car, while Justin Timberlake remains at 9 with SexyBack. The Killers drop two to 8 with When You Were Young, while Beatfreakz (sic) soar an astonishing 36 places to 7 with Superfreak. Lil' Chris jumps two spots to 6 with Checking It Out, while P Diddy and Nicole Scherzinger drop the minimum to 5 with Come To Me. Bob Sinclair and Cutee B holler Rock This Party (Everybody Dance Now) inching up one to 4, while Scissor Sisters slip one to 3 with I Don't Feel Like Dancing. The same is true of Razorlight at 2 with America, while My Chemical Romance soar a whopping 22 places to 1 with emo anthem Welcome To The Black Parade.

Comment

Comment

Scissor Sisters and Razorlight are the only bulbs lighting up for me there, neither remembered with any great fondness.

Thursday's offering from '91 was a ten and Friday's '56 a three (unless The Platters count double). The latter hinted at an interesting possible niche of tens where you know more song titles in the ten from name-alikes than the recordings in question.

Comment

If you asked me if David Hasselhoff had had a UK chart top ten hit in the 21st Century I'd have laughed in your face.

That Killers song was the first release off their second album. Its not an album I ever really clicked with but Read My Mind is one of my favourite Killers songs.

Comment

While Bryan Adams was at number one I formed a band, we worked up a set, played a gig and split up.

Comment

Did one quit, and another get married?

Comment

Surprised that the MCR anthem climbed up from No.23 to get to No.1 - I mean, I knew it had been No.1 but would have put money on it being one of those examples of the fanbase buying it in the week of release to get it there.

Comment

The fact that it was 2006 could be a clue - the transitional year of downloads counting towards the chart but not fully for a while for some reason.

Comment

Yeah, it were the in between era where downloads were eligible for the chart but had to be accompanied by a physical release at some point (was it two weeks of downloads only at that stage?) At the start of the following year the chart compilers bowed to reality and all downloads became chart eligible regardless. Chris Moyles famously became the first person to game the system when he got Radio 1 listeners to download Billie's Honey To The Bee and sent it back into the top 30.

Futbology tells me that on that particular day I went to Wednesday v QPR. We protested against the chairman as he'd sacked the manager a couple of days earlier. Plus ca change.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X