It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Meh! Erasure apart, it wouldn't upset me if I never heard a single one of those songs again.
    I think I could probably live without hearing that, as well.

Comment

Today in 1966, the Sandpipers climb eight places to 10 with Guantanamera, while Dusty Springfield jumps two to 9 with All I See Is You. Roy Orbison tumbles three to 8 with Too Soon To Know, while the Rolling Stones soar a whopping ten spots to 7 with Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow. The New Vaudeville Band inch up one to 6 with Winchester Cathedral, while Sonny and Cher slip the minimum to 5 with Little Man. The Supremes drop one to 4 with You Can't Hurry Love, while the Who do the same to 3 with I'm A Boy. Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, and Tich climb 4 to 2 with Bend It!, while Jim Reeves remains at 1 with Distant Drums.

Comment

Comment

Two of their best from the Stones and The Who. Also Bend It was a big winner in the Teenage Boy Sniggering Stakes at the time.

Comment

Primary School Sniggering Stakes, in my case.

Bend It wasn’t ‘quite’ up there with the playground re-write of Herman’s Hermits’ Sunshine Girl, but it was close,

Comment

Guantanamera shows 66 was a crucial year in football culture. Still around in 'terrace' chants today.

Distant Drums was too, at the time

(I hear the sound/Of distant bums/Over there, over there) I have that on good authority from a former colleague who sang it at Luton

Comment

Yup, Distant Bums was a regular chant when I started match going.

Comment

Today in 1993, Eternal jump six to 10 with Stay, while Culture Beat tumble four to 9 with Mr Vain. Meat Loaf goes straight in at 8 with I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That), while the Pet Shop Boys drop four to 7 with Go West. Haddaway inch up one to 6 with Life, as do Frankie Goes To Hollywood at 5 with Relax (1993). Chaka Demus and Pliers climb one to 4 with She Don't Have Nobody, while ironically, M People move on down one to 3 with Moving On Up. The same is true of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince at 2 with Boom! Shake The Room, while Take That and Lulu are brand new at 1 with Relight My Fire.

Comment

Comment

Another not-that-great chart.

So it's exactly thirty years this week since Lulu finally reached UK # 1. (Just to make us feel old, thirty years before that, she hadn't even cut her first record.)

Comment

As I've noted on here before, at the time that record was released Lulu was younger than Chris Martin is now.

That chart was on Pick of the Pops on Saturday just gone, should you be in need of some music if you're spending an hour with somebody you don't like.

Comment

Pet Shop Boys the stand out there, with Culture Beat runners up.

The Meat Loaf song reminds me that due to a terrible misunderstanding I went to see him live not long afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

The Meat Loaf song reminds me that due to a terrible misunderstanding I went to see him live not long afterwards.
                            I am intrigued...

Comment

In 1970, the Poppy Family and Susan Jacks tumble three to 10 with Which Way You Goin', Billy, as do Chairman of the Board to 9 with Give Me Just A Little More Time. The Tremeloes climb seven to 8 with Me and My Life, while Diana Ross jumps six to 7 with Ain't No Mountain High Enough. The Carpenters soar eight to 6 with Close To You, while Bobby Bloom slips two to 5 with Montego Bay. Black Sabbath are up four to 4 with Paranoid, while Deep Purple ascend two to 3 with Black Night. Desmond Dekker remains at 2 with You Can Get It If You Really Want, while Freda Payne is still at 1 with Band of Gold.

Comment

Comment

I'd flirted with bits of pop music before, but around this time was probably the first time I really became aware of the charts and - vaguely - how they worked. (It'd be a couple more years before I started seriously chart-watching, however.)

For whatever reason, as a wee scrabster I loved The Tremeloes' Me and My Life and can remember singing along to Band of Gold. (Don't think I was especially aware of that two-pronged proto-metal assault on the Top Five, mind you.)

Lots of songs about mountains in the late-sixties/early-seventies.

(Was Susan Jacks not a permanent member of The Poppy Family?)

Comment

It's a very good chart and I'm not surprised you pricked your ears up, just as the charts of 1979-80 really got little me listening.

Comment

Probably even more variety by 1979, tbh.

Viz The Tremeloes, I'd certainly been 'aware' of their version of Silence is Golden - and also loved Traffic's Hole in My Shoe (probably for its psychedelic nursery-rhyme lyric) - back in 1967.

Comment

And that was the other year covered by Pick of the Pops this week; playing Black Sabbath followed by Deep Purple at 1.45pm of a Saturday feels a bit brave for Radio 2.

Band of Gold is a brilliant song, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          I'd flirted with bits of pop music before, but around this time was probably the first time I really became aware of the charts and - vaguely - how they worked. (It'd be a couple more years before I started seriously chart-watching, however.)

For whatever reason, as a wee scrabster I loved The Tremeloes' Me and My Life and can remember singing along to Band of Gold. (Don't think I was especially aware of that two-pronged proto-metal assault on the Top Five, mind you.)

Lots of songs about mountains in the late-sixties/early-seventies.

I'm just going by how the single is billed by the particular website I've been using for this thread since August.

Comment

Fair dos. I know pretty much zero about the group other than that particular hit, and the fact that they were the first home of Terry 'Seasons in the Sun' Jacks and his missus. Plus that they were one of the first pop acts to adopt the burgeoning use of tablas.

(Which I guess is quite a bit, when you think about it.)

Comment

That's got me thinking about my earliest musical memories:-

'Bohemian Rhapsody' on TOTP - first memory of any kind, that bit with their heads in that diamond formation.
                                              'Sailing' clip with Rod's hair blowing in the wind- used to think this was my earliest memory but Taylor tracked it down to a reissue or re-entry post the Queen one.
                                              'Save Your Kisses For Me' - I was puzzled that the singer wanted to kiss a baby. First song I remember thinking sounded like fever.
                                              'I Feel Love'
                                              'Oxygene'
                                              'I Hear You Now' by Jon & Vangelis - first musical memory involving another person as I recall annoying my mum by asking what it was every time it came on the radio.
                                              The first chart I remember hearing on the radio had 'Coward Of The County' at number 1. I think Fiddler's Dram, KC & The Sunshine Band and maybe Whispers were also in it, I definitely liked Whispers best out of those.
                                              Like (and due to) my parents I loved Pink Floyd. An Xmas stocking present one year was a TDK cassette with 'More' (my mum's fav) on one side and 'Wish You Were Here' on the other. The track listing was in my dad's handwriting. I started to suspect Father Christmas didn't actually exist.
                                              1980, aged 7, was when the floods broke and I started seriously listening to music on the radio and watching TOTP regularly and having favourites other than stuff my parents played. 'Dog Eat Dog', 'Ashes To Ashes' and 'A Forest' were the first mind-blowers. I got well into a certain radio 1 DJ's Old Record Club and went mad for Bowie. Had a cassette with the first sides of 'Hunky Dory' and 'Scary Monsters' which I loved (the second sides nowhere near as much, especially as one of those songs had my name in it which I did not like at all).
                                              'Too Much Too Young' entering the charts at number 1 and me haring across town to tell my sister cos I knew she loved the Specials.
                                              Playing with a synthesiser at my sister's flat and getting it to make helicopter noises.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Pretty much. But she also performed, mainly on TV. under her own name (Susan Pleskavits) prior to the Poppy Family. And did solo gigs both during and after they broke up. Which Way You Going Billy is really a Susan song, though Terry is seen miming on the video.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                  The first chart I remember hearing on the radio had 'Coward Of The County' at number 1. I think Fiddler's Dram, KC & The Sunshine Band and maybe Whispers were also in it, I definitely liked Whispers best out of those.
                                                  Best I can find there is 2/2/1980 - which had KC and pals at # 8 (down three), Kenny R's Coward at # 10 (up from #33 - on its way to the top, as you say) and The Whispers new in at # 37. Fiddler's Dram had dropped out of 'the 40' at # 43: we vaguely knew of singer Cathy Lesurf, since she and her ceilidh band were from up the road at Canterbury University. (I went to Kent College, and was preparing for 'A' levels at that time.)

The Specials actually had one week at # 15 before ascending to top spot that same week.

Not the worst time to be getting into music, all told.

Comment

I think my first pop memory is jumping around the living room to Mud with my brother, wearing our tiger slippers, when we were about three and four.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X