It's always a number 1 day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Looking at the Wiki, it seems anomalous that Country Roads was double platinum in the UK without charting
    So it does. Must be a very recent 'streaming' thing.

Comment

That seems to be it; the BPI website cited gives a release date of 2005.

His peak album sales in the UK look to have come in a cluster following his 1973 BBC show, with records from earlier in his career getting a belated boost from that.

He was the Steve Davis of country pop, with much more going on than his bland public image suggested.​

Comment

JD was kinda handicapped by his Howdy Doody "Far Out man!" persona. He really was a good songwriter but frequently came across as a bit of a dork.

Comment

The suspicion that he was in the pocket of Big Muppet didn't help.

Comment

Today in 2007, Timbaland falls the minimum to 10 with his grammatically dodgy The Way I Are, while Rihanna tumbles three to 9 with Shut Up and Drive. The Foo Fighters soar 13 to 8 with The Pretender, while Scouting For Girls climb three to 7 with She's So Lovely. Babyshambles are new at 6 with Delivery, but James Blunt slips one to 5 with 1973. So too do Kanye West to 4 with Stronger, and Plain White T's to 3 with Hey There Delilah. 50 Cent moves up 3 to 2 with Ayo Technology (me, neither), but Sean Kingston remains at 1 with Beautiful Girls.

Comment

Comment

I'm happy you didn't post a link to the Hey There Delilah video - the board might have broken again with just how wet that song is.

Comment

It's a huge 'whoosh' from me...

Comment

I recognise eight of the ten artists' names but not a single one of the songs from its title.

Scouting For Girls really was a terrible name for a band.
                    Last edited by Benjm; 29-09-2023, 11:25.

Comment

I was surprised last year when out on a run on holiday to arrive at the spot where John Denver died. Though not as surprised as he (very briefly) was when he arrived there, granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        He was the Steve Davis of country pop, with much more going on than his bland public image suggested.​
                        He was one of two prominent musicians (the other being the more predictable Frank Zappa) to publicly speak up in support of Dead Kennedys when they were sued over the 'Frankenchrist' poster.

Comment

Scouting For Girls really was a terrible name for a band.
                          Fixed that for you.

Comment

Oh, I recognise most of the artists, obvs, but the only song therein that I've knowingly heard would probably be Doherty's effort.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                            I was surprised last year when out on a run on holiday to arrive at the spot where John Denver died. Though not as surprised as he (very briefly) was when he arrived there, granted.
                            I imagine you'd have been extremely surprised nonetheless, given that his aircraft took a nosedive into the sea off Monterey Bay.

Comment

Scouting For Girls was one of those band names that bands usually have at the beginning of their career, like Blood Fart or Percy and the Prostate Massagers then quickly get dropped because it stops being funny very quickly. They just never managed to move on from it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                I'm happy you didn't post a link to the Hey There Delilah video - the board might have broken again with just how wet that song is.
                                I bought the album based on that song - I regret buying the album

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                  Scouting For Girls was one of those band names that bands usually have at the beginning of their career, like Blood Fart or Percy and the Prostate Massagers then quickly get dropped because it stops being funny very quickly. They just never managed to move on from it.
                                  Similarly with Bowling for Soup.
                                  Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 29-09-2023, 15:50.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souperism

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Oh, I recognise most of the artists, obvs, but the only song therein that I've knowingly heard would probably be Doherty's effort.

I imagine you'd have been extremely surprised nonetheless, given that his aircraft took a nosedive into the sea off Monterey Bay.
                                      Ah, I assumed the place where they put the memorial (on nearby land) was where he, as it were, had his last hit.

Comment

His last hit occurred shortly after Leavin’ On a Jet Plane.

No doubt you’ll see what I’ve done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I bought the album based on that song - I regret buying the album
                                          Really? Did the rest of the album make Keane sound edgy too?

Comment

It was dreadful.

The soppy Hey There Delilah was a thing for me and my then girlfriend. I didn't like buying singles though, so I always bought the album if the band had one available.

Comment

In 1961, Connie Francis rises five places to 10 with Together, while Sam Cooke slips two to 9 with Cupid. It's a week of huge movers, with Cleo Laine up 12 to 8 with You'll Answer To Me, while the Highwaymen soar a whopping ten spots to 7 with Michael. Billy Fury's Jealousy ascends six to 6 this week, while Elvis drops the minimum to 5 going Wild In The Country. The Shadows rise one to 4 with Kon-Tiki, and Helen Shapiro is unchanged at 3 claiming You Don't Know. Shirley Bassey tumbles from the top to 2 with Reach For The Stars/Climb Every Mountain, while Johnny Leyton returns to 1 with Johnny Remember Me.

Comment

Comment

That Shad's video looks to be a later period performance that would originally have been in colour. Changing it to B&W is the digital equivalent of Lovejoy dipping documents in tea to artificially age them. Do audiences for older music and films really need kitsch retro trappings to enjoy them? The cinema organ idents and silly ass voiceovers on Talking Pictures are another example. They particularly jar when the channel is showing an '80s straight-to-video flick.

Sam Cooke doesn't seem to get the props he deserves these days. Does his crossover material sound a bit too smooth/innocuous now?

Comment

Does his crossover material sound a bit too smooth/innocuous now?
                                                    I think so, he was seen as a bit of a sellout in the radical black community at that time.

https://www.google.com/search?client...T98qIa4no,st:0

There's some strong artists in that group but the songs don't represent their best work. John Leyton maybe the exception.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X