No announcement yet.

Bands or artists that completely changed genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a number of reggae artists who did not change genre out of reggae but shifted from singing to DJing or vice versa. In theory, any artist could do that, just like any singer could rap or any rapper could sing, but it doesn't mean someone will do it well. On that last note (and I might have missed this in the thread but the Beastie Boys went from punk to rap).

George Nooks and Prince Mohammed are one in the same (latter was first in his career development). There are other artists as well, but I'll share these two tracks.

Comment

I'm not good at defining genres, but Dexys (Midnight Runners) have had a few changes of style over the years, from Searching For The Young Soul Rebels to Too-Rye-Aye to Don't Stand Me Down and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

This acts as a reminder that Leyton Buzzards became Modern Romance for some reason.

And also that Hudson Ford had a couple of decent singles in them early- mid 1970s.
        They did - Pick Up the Pieces, Burn Baby Burn and Free Spirit were all decent singles. Why they felt the need to do that Monks nonsense, God alone knows...

Leyton Buzzards won R1's Band of Hope & Glory contest, if memory serves. And lead singer Geoff Deane went on to a lucrative career as a TV producer and scriptwriter after Modern Romance, working with the likes of Jonathan Ross and Lenny Henry.

Comment

Bob Dylan

Comment

Well, I'm listening now to The Ideal Copy by Wire, which is vastly different in so many ways from Pink Flag and Chairs Missing. So I tentatively suggest Wire for genre-changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Adam And The Ants - underground to pop. Just like T Rex.
              And kinda back again.
              There is a continuum, though - Young Parisians is cabaret-ish. Marco asked me whether the punk Ants could be considered early post-modern, before he came out with that in an interview. I thought yes, as in using ironic er, referencing/‘homage’ and pastiche (nicking riffs from obscure B-sides) which was er, in a way really punk, like.
              But the original punk thing never left, the early songs turned up as Ants B-sides and are in the current set.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Japan? Them.

Comment

Working...
                X