These Nuggets are Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These Nuggets are Heavy

Mojo released a comp with their December 2007 issue called Heavy Nuggets. They just released Heavy Nuggets Vol. 2 with the June 2013 issue. There are some duds on each comp but there's also some good stuff if you're into proto punk, hard rock, hard psych, and metal.

Here is the first volume. Here is the second volume.

I might have shared the first volume a few years back, but just in case....

These Nuggets are Heavy

Nice one danmak, thanks for sharing.

What are the Rubble compilations like? If you've got all the Nuggets and Pebbles comps, are they worth investigating?

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

sweet, i will get on this once i get home.

cheers!

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Nice one danmak, thanks for sharing.

What are the Rubble compilations like? If you've got all the Nuggets and Pebbles comps, are they worth investigating?
        I don't think I have any of the Rubble comps. I have a few of the Pebbles comps but I can't remember where (maybe on a computer at work). The comps I have seem to be regional (e.g., Denver garage rock scene, Michigan psych). They were hit and miss, as can be expected. I am working out of a different office this term so don't have access to my normal computer. Next time I'm there, I'll see if the Pebbles stuff is on that computer and re-up. I think I got them from this amazing resource.

I should add that these two Heavy Nuggets comps are different than those others in that nothing on these Heavy Nuggest comp would tend to fit in the garage rock category. Even The Pretty Things tracks are radically different than what appeared on Nuggets.

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

The Rubble comps are all British stuff, I think - Wimple Winch, Kaleidoscope, The Open Mind, bands like that (unless there are two different series called Rubble, which is possible). They're great, although obviously some are better than others. As I recall, vol.4 was the real killer: "Baby Your Phrasing Is Bad" by Caleb, "Black Mass" by Jason Crest, loads of proper UK psych classics.

A lot gentler than the Nuggets/Pebbles stuff though, for the most part. There are lots of pop-psych tracks on there, post-Sgt Pepper/Syd Barrett cream-tea-and-LSD things, some of which require a rather sweet tooth.

Cheers for the download, DM.

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

The Rubbles V.1-20 are all well worth getting, if you've enjoyed the Nuggets. A lot of the material is more late-60s psych (67-68ish), while the Nuggets were more 1966ish, hence the distinction in sound noted by Taylor above.

Almost all the Rubbles volumes have some songs that are compelling enough to make you want to download them. I actually don't have any of them, but am familiar with many of the titles through other compilations, as there is a lot of overlap.

I don't have easy access to my main digital library, but off the top of my head some other comp series well worth seeking out are The Great British Psychedelic Trip (V. 1 thru 4 were published) and The Perfumed Garden (V.1, 2 & 3).

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Great-British-Psychedelic-Trip-Vol-1-1966-1969/release/406746

http://lost-in-tyme.ucoz.com/blog/2007-12-29-104

http://chocoreve.blogspot.ca/2005/12/perfumed-garden-vol-1-2.html

The last two blogs are some of the very best in the genre, though Chocoreve has been largely inactive.

The Mojo "Psych Out!" compilation, which came out in 2006 is quite good. Mostly big names, nothing really obscure, but well chosen titles. For example their one song from the Zombies happens to be Hung up on a Dream, which IMHO is their best song ever. Same with Room of Percussion by Kaleidoscope. The Heavy Nuggets are a bit in the same vein, with some B-sides from well-known names and a few lesser-known bands.

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

Cheers danmak, I've got all the regional Pebbles regional stuff on CD. Sadly, they're not as good as the vinyl version, which I've got on download - but the same stuff reappears.

Cheers for the info on Rubble comps - I will try and get hold of them once I'm living in a country where you can get hold of that kind of stuff.

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

The last issue of Mojo came with the latest in this Heavy Nuggets series. Here is Heavy Nuggets III. I have only listened to the first 5 tracks but it was good stuff. Click on the HeavyIII zip link.

Comment

These Nuggets are Heavy

I haven't had a chance to listen to this one yet, but here is Heavy Nuggets IV.

Comment

I have only heard the excerpts presented in this preview, but seems like the same general style:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfEZKRv2emg

Comment

Riding Easy Records is up to volume 9 of the Brown Acid series. The series collects rare and private press releases that fit the style of this thread. You can listen to full records here: https://ridingeasyrecords.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X