Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artists you like who are derided on OTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think much of their oeuvre, but Chris Martin was a coach on American Idol one season and he seemed like a really lovely guy. In the celebrity divorce world, we went Team Chris over Team Gwyneth with little discussion.

Comment

I've heard interviews with him. He sounds like a great guy. And some of their songs, at least, are pretty good.
      I think his connection to Ms. Goop is his biggest liability, PR-wise, at this point.

Radiohead has frequently been derided here for being too middle-class. I don't see that as much of a criticism.
      Likewise, a lot of hate for Mumford and Sons. I think they're ok. And what's his name is married to Carrie Mulligan, and she seems to be pretty bright, so he can't be all bad.

As far as I can tell, the coolness pendulum has now swung too far the other way and it's no longer widely acceptable to not like, for example, the Bee Gees. But I really don't like them as much as I'm supposedly supposed to. I just think the production style in the 70s was to just pile on as many strings and what not as possible and now that sounds like brown shag carpet looks in my mind.

And Taylor Swift's music now seems to mostly be about how awesome it is to be Taylor Swift. No thanks.

Comment

My Portuguese niece calls them Cod-play, which on surface of it, is not THAT funny, but somehow brings genuine hilarity to various drives to historically interesting sites, and shopping centres.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          I don't think much of their oeuvre, but Chris Martin was a coach on American Idol one season and he seemed like a really lovely guy. In the celebrity divorce world, we went Team Chris over Team Gwyneth with little discussion.
          You went with him rather than the one who sells crystals, special stone dildos and candles that smell like her crotch? Weird choice but OK.

Comment

I liked her work in The Royal Tenenbaums, but that's just not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              I'll concur that Young Mr Martin is a very nice guy. He once poured me a glass of bubbly at a publishing party. And he really didn't have to.

However, this just in: nice guys almost always make lousy musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                Radiohead has frequently been derided here for being too middle-class. I don't see that as much of a criticism.
                Likewise, a lot of hate for Mumford and Sons. I think they're ok. And what's his name is married to Carrie Mulligan, and she seems to be pretty bright, so he can't be all bad.
                Radiohead... Thom Yorke is an outspoken and active supporter of Israel. As is Nick Cave. Both can fuck off.

Mumford... One of them quit the band after getting heat for being an alt.right supporter. It was bad PR that did it, not disgusted bandmates. So they and their Americana tribute shtick can fuck off, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  However, this just in: nice guys almost always make lousy musicians.
                  Not sure about this. Chris Martin is clearly a fine musician, he just writes boring songs.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Radiohead... Thom Yorke is an outspoken and active supporter of Israel. As is Nick Cave. Both can fuck off.

Mumford... One of them quit the band after getting heat for being an alt.right supporter. It was bad PR that did it, not disgusted bandmates. So they and their Americana tribute shtick can fuck off, too.
                    Their may be plenty if reasons to dislike them, but that’s not about their music.

Most popular music is heavily influenced by forms that originated in America. I don’t see how that matters.

Comment

Well, Radiohead is a question of taste. I find them mostly boring. Like I find Coldplay boring, but Radiohead is boring with the vice of a supporter of ethnic cleansing.

There's nothing wrong with being influenced by US music, but it matters when that influence is no more than a poorly done carbon copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Not sure about this. Chris Martin is clearly a fine musician, he just writes boring songs.
                        Well, yeah, I was thinking more of the material itself.

Comment

Talk of thrash metal reminds me of Megadeth. I'm a huge fan of them. Really an incredible band. Less self-evidently serious than Metallica, but for a few albums they were red hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            As far as I can tell, the coolness pendulum has now swung too far the other way and it's no longer widely acceptable to not like, for example, the Bee Gees. But I really don't like them as much as I'm supposedly supposed to. I just think the production style in the 70s was to just pile on as many strings and what not as possible and now that sounds like brown shag carpet looks in my mind.
                            Given the strength of their 60s output, The Bee Gees legacy would be secure regardless of whether people like or dislike their 70s stuff. I’d also say that You Win Again is one of the better 1980s No.1s.

Comment

I love The Bee Gees - from Massachusetts right through to Alone in 1997!!

Comment

Yeah, apart from a bit of a creative trough in the early 70s, their [Bee Gees] body of work is excellent.

I like a lot of Radiohead stuff, so add me to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                  Mumford... One of them quit the band after getting heat for being an alt.right supporter. It was bad PR that did it, not disgusted bandmates.
                                  It wasn't just support, this dad practically financed GBeebies, didn't he?

Comment

Working...
                                  X