Your Favourite Totally Naff Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Given that Rock Me Amadeus is on here, does that make Boney M's Rasputin a contender? Personally I think it is a stone cold gem of a tune, but others may disagree.
    A few years ago we went to a wedding where the RSVP on the invite included a box to write in any requests for the DJ at the reception. We went with Rasputin and it went down a proper storm

Comment

I made a list the other day of songs I sometimes wish I didn't like so much.
      • Don't Stop Movin'' – S Club 7
      • Let's Get Ready to Rumble – PJ & Duncan
      • The Power of Love – Huey Lewis and the News
      • Forever and Ever – Demis Roussos
      • Can't Smile Without You – Barry Manilow
      • Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain & Tennille
      • Boozy Nights – The Barron Knights
      • Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes – Edison Lighthouse
      • I Think I Love You – Partridge Family
      • Put a Little Love in Your Heart – Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
        Edison Lighthouse standing tall (as a lighthouse should) in that list.

Comment

I posted that in the earworm thread just the other day.

Comment

Not that I've heard it since shortly after I bought it on a 45, but I Think I Love You is a terrific little song.

Comment

I am rather partial to "Larger Than Life" by The Backstreet Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Not that I've heard it since shortly after I bought it on a 45, but I Think I Love You is a terrific little song.
                There were several really good Partridge Family songs. "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" is another banger. I suspect they lacked street cred because the image was that these songs were played by the mom and her kids. I think for a while, The Monkees had a similar obstacle, but then they also had songs that were instant pop classics, and now The Monkees are unimpeachable. In both cases, the recordings were made by Wrecking Crew musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

There were several really good Partridge Family songs. "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" is another banger. I suspect they lacked street cred because the image was that these songs were played by the mom and her kids. I think for a while, The Monkees had a similar obstacle, but then they also had songs that were instant pop classics, and now The Monkees are unimpeachable. In both cases, the recordings were made by Wrecking Crew musicians.

Indeed.

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do is another cracker.

Comment

I'm more enamoured of Neil Sedaka's original, but that might be an age thing.

Comment

Following on from the Partridge Family, David Cassidy’s version of How Can I Be Sure? might not be up to Dusty Springfield’s level but it’s a great track. Good voice, the young Cassidy.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        I'm more enamoured of Neil Sedaka's original, but that might be an age thing.
                        Laughter In The Rain is the Sedaka song I would most stand up for.

Comment

^It was decent. I’d go with The Immigrant, however. Underrated Sedaka single.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          Following on from the Partridge Family, David Cassidy’s version of How Can I Be Sure? might not be up to Dusty Springfield’s level but it’s a great track. Good voice, the young Cassidy.
                          Concur - it was a surprisingly good reading of the song.

I don’t think the antipathy toward the Partridge Family was down to its being ‘a mom and her kids’, so much that they were an act manufactured for television. They (or those behind them) didn’t have as many good tunes as The Monkees, but were nonetheless a pretty serviceable pop act.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Laughter In The Rain is the Sedaka song I would most stand up for.
                            Solitaire is good too.

Comment

It is. It was pretty damn difficult to get a song about masturbation on the charts in the early 70s. Hats of to Sedaka and Phil Cody who, probably, wrote the lyrics.

Comment

The Who did it in the sixties.

Comment

True. Maybe a slightly different audience in the US though?

Comment

... Especially by The Carpenters.

Comment

The best 70s wanking song is by Buzzcocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        10 or so years ago I was having an anaesthetic administered, and the nurse offered a selection of CDs to soothe me to sleep. The only one I liked was Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady. So she put it on, and the first song was Orgasm Addict. After a quick look at the doctor and other nurses' faces, we quickly agreed to start with track 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          ... Especially by The Carpenters.
                                          The Carpenters who sang about being a groupie? I'd imagine a bit of DIY love would provide relief after that. Moral relief!

Comment

Never thought of Solitaire as having that connotation, although, yeah, it does seem pretty obvious. I think Andy Williams's cover being the first version of it I recall probably steered me away from that particular ballpark...

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            Agreed. Teenage Kicks is up there too. (If indeed it 'is' about onanism - always felt that that was just a good bit of controversial publicity meself.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Never thought of Solitaire as having that connotation, although, yeah, it does seem pretty obvious.
                                              Me neither. I mean you could read it that way but, according to the Wiki page, the lyricist was singing about playing cards alone.

Comment

Yes I thought it was just about being lonely.

Anyway, The Gibson Brothers’ Cuba, anyone? Or perhaps Mariana?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  Yes I thought it was just about being lonely.

Anyway, The Gibson Brothers’ Cuba, anyone? Or perhaps Mariana?

I'm pretty sure that Cuba isn't about knocking one out, Sits.

Oh, hang on...

Comment

Me neither. I mean you could read it that way but, according to the Wiki page, the lyricist was singing about playing cards alone.
                                                    That much I’d twigged - some over here call the game ‘Patience’.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X