X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    I made a list the other day of songs I sometimes wish I didn't like so much.
    • Don't Stop Movin'' – S Club 7
    • Let's Get Ready to Rumble – PJ & Duncan
    • The Power of Love – Huey Lewis and the News
    • Forever and Ever – Demis Roussos
    • Can't Smile Without You – Barry Manilow
    • Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain & Tennille
    • Boozy Nights – The Barron Knights
    • Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes – Edison Lighthouse
    • I Think I Love You – Partridge Family
    • Put a Little Love in Your Heart – Leonard Nimoy

Not that I've heard it since shortly after I bought it on a 45, but I Think I Love You is a terrific little song.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    I posted that in the earworm thread just the other day.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Edison Lighthouse standing tall (as a lighthouse should) in that list.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gavc23
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Given that Rock Me Amadeus is on here, does that make Boney M's Rasputin a contender? Personally I think it is a stone cold gem of a tune, but others may disagree.
    A few years ago we went to a wedding where the RSVP on the invite included a box to write in any requests for the DJ at the reception. We went with Rasputin and it went down a proper storm

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Again, it's more the act than the song.

Which obviously Mr Lewis tried to undercut on Hip to be Square.

Leave a comment:

• multipleman78
    replied
    Not naff but pretty low on credibility--I do have a soft spot for The Power of Love by Huey Lewis.
    This should be disqualified from the naff ranks simply because everything in Back to the Future is perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Not naff but pretty low on credibility--I do have a soft spot for The Power of Love by Huey Lewis.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I think Bobby Farrell himself was a bit naff, but a few of Boney M’s hits stand up regardless - including that one.

(I should qualify that statement by adding that he was nonetheless integral to their line-up.)

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Who? Who could possibly disagree? I keep a cape and false beard by my chair just on the off chance that it comes on TV.
    Excellent - I mean, we had a claim for a naff Fall song early on in this thread, so who knows what might happen. Rasputin pops up as a dancer on an assortment of Just Dance video games (definitely 2022 and I am almost certain it is a song on there somewhere). A top three tune for historical accuracy as well.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Given that Rock Me Amadeus is on here, does that make Boney M's Rasputin a contender? Personally I think it is a stone cold gem of a tune, but others may disagree.
    Who? Who could possibly disagree? I keep a cape and false beard by my chair just on the off chance that it comes on TV.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    What G-Man wrote just then reminded me of this absolute classic:

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    This is a catchy though naff song. It was all the rage here back in 89. This video is similarly naff:

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    I don't think that Eurovision of the 1960s and 1970s is by definition naff -- it produced some real gems, amid all the rubbish -- but Teach-In's "Ding-A-Dong" 1975 winner probably qualifies.

I can't say that the bizarre (and sad-backstoried) Papa Pingouin from 1980 is a favourite. In fact, it's pretty bad. At the same time it is quite compelling. It qualifies for a sub-genre of this thread: "Totally naff songs that you know you should condemn but are attracted to in a weird way".

Leave a comment:

• Sunderporinostesta
    replied
    Put me down for La Dolce Vita.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    Falco's Rock Me Amadeus is surely both naff enough and good enough to qualify?
    Bury’s 94/95 highlights video began with a montage of some of the stuff that was to follow, soundtracked by a remix of Der Kommissar. Which I’ve gone on to love.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    There's No One Quite Like Grandma is unlistenable, obviously, but there are two Winifreds under the age of ten in my wider extended family, it previously having resided in the names that time forgot category.

This might suggest that St W's School Choir are one of those acts who were underappreciated during their active recording years but have since struck a chord with younger generations, like Arthur Russell, say.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post

Nothing to be ashamed of. Also Grandad. Snoopy vs Red Baron. Draw the line at My Ding A ling. And Two Little Boys-though the Splodgeness version could be a better fit for this thread.Has Jilted John been mentioned yet.
    If you can tolerate that Clive Dunne dirge, where exactly do you stand on "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Sudden cross-over from naff to novelty. Different categories.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
    I know all the words to Ernie, just so's you know
    Nothing to be ashamed of. Also Grandad. Snoopy vs Red Baron. Draw the line at My Ding A ling. And Two Little Boys-though the Splodgeness version could be a better fit for this thread.Has Jilted John been mentioned yet.

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    Absolutely brilliant and not at all naff.
    Wrong and wrong. It's an all-right novelty song.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    I'll go in to bat for Star Trekkin' - the video never puts to put a smile on my face and I like when it goes all bizarre at the end. Why is Ronald Reagan there and why is he wearing Mickey Mouse ears?

Still less strange than Star Trek V though.
    Oddly, I have vivid memories of lying on the sofa and watching the video to this song when it was relatively new. I have a vague memory of my mum telling her friend how much I love it. I would have been nearly 3 (it was released 3 months before my 3rd birthday) so these are either my earliest memories, or happened much later than when the song come out.

Anyway, naff songs I love:

Nothing's Going to Change My Love for You by Glenn Medeiros
    Senza Una Donna by Paul Young and Zucchero
    China in Your Hand by T'Pau
    Last edited by Simon G; 26-01-2023, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I've heard that version, but the Elton Motello one is much more familiar to me.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Absolutely brilliant and not at all naff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X