Rain in song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
    A conversation in the pub a few months back began with someone suggesting there'd be more songs about rain by Manchester bands than any other and, I think, ended with us concluding the Scots are actually the chief contributors to the genre.

I forget them all but Manchester's efforts included Reign by Ian Brown, that Northside song about acid rain, The Chameleons' Swamp Thing and William It Was Really Nothing as mentioned above.

The only other Scottish one I can recall right now is that awful dirge by Travis.
    Shall We Take A Trip by Northside, brilliantly used as the signature tune for Granada Soccer Night circa 1990/91.

Comment

Aye that's the one. Regularly heard over the tannoy at Spotland as the DJ has some connection to them.

Comment

I love the way this thread picked up seamlessly after an almost exactly ten-year hiatus, especially after it ended with everyone apparently abiding by an instruction to stop.

It jumped out at me just now though since I happened to be reading reviews of REM's 2001 album Reveal a few minutes ago, on which a highlight is I'll Take The Rain.

Comment

Pennies From Heaven - Billie Holiday

Comment

"Lizzie and the Rain Man" - Tanya Tucker
            "Just Walking In The Rain" - The Prisonaires

Comment

Topically, where I'm sitting anyway:

"Rain in the Summertime", The Alarm
              "Summer Rain", The Primitives

Comment

A few rain songs that I'm rather fond of:

Keith Whitley - I'm No Stranger To The Rain (though rain here obviously is a metaphor)
                Justin Townes Earle - Memphis In The Rain
                Isaac Hayes - Doesn't Rain In London*
                Donald Fagen - Walk Between Raindrops

* Ike was not a great meterologist

Comment

Rain - Martin Stephenson and the Daintees
                  Concerto for a Rainy Day - ELO - this covers 'Standin' in the Rain; Big Wheels; Summer & Lightning and Mr Blue Sky and IMHO is magnificent.

Comment

Tupelo by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds has more rain in it than all the other songs in this thread put together

Comment

An acoustic version of The Elevator Song by Dubstar was the b-side of the same group's brilliant 1997 single No More Talk and opens with the sound of thunder and rain.

I loved Dubstar but got a torrent* of abuse on Twitter for saying this.

*two 'Really?' tweets

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                        A few rain songs that I'm rather fond of:

Keith Whitley - I'm No Stranger To The Rain (though rain here obviously is a metaphor)
                        Justin Townes Earle - Memphis In The Rain
                        Isaac Hayes - Doesn't Rain In London*
                        Donald Fagen - Walk Between Raindrops

* Ike was not a great meterologist
                        On the other hand, this summer he seems almost prescient.

Comment

Have we had "Cloud 9" by the Temptations yet? Or doesn't that count.

Comment

Rainmaker - Sparklehorse

There are at least twenty million songs about rain, however.

Comment

Working...
                            X